Thread: J teachers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Default J teachers

I don't know how threadworthy this is, but this has been bothering me for a while.

I had a teacher last semester teaching us percussion. It was cymbal day. Before we even put the two together, we already had a parameter: play on the right beat. I thought, 'why?' I need to learn the motion of the crash, the grip, the follow through, and the mute ontop of that. What an unnecessary and preoccupying rule.

Don't I need to explore the instrument first?

Is it just me, or is this a huge educational blunder?

MBTI
    ISFJ

I don't know if it's being J or whatever, but I will say, when it comes to education I think giving a certain degree of freedom to the student is paramount. And fostering some open-mindedness too.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics

hm well he's ENTJ, and works for a drum corps, which is like J central. I mean, I figure P's are more exploratory so...

Interesting...I am an INFJ teacher. I teach kindergarten and ESL to 5 and 6 year olds. I suppose your teacher could have been thinking that giving you a parameter would make you feel safe with the instrument (by giving you a routine that you could obviously perform?) However, I am big on educational theory and research and they both advocate hands-on learning and inquiry learning. I try to strike a good balance of both discovery learning and structure with my students. If they were older (like middle/high school age) I would definitely give them the type test each year before I started planning instruction.
    I'm sorry that you felt frustrated in your class! I agree that it can be liberating to explore first.

Teachers nowadays kill creativity.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I don't think that's J as much as it is just bad teaching. Obviously you should learn the TECHNIQUE before you do the rhythm. I'm a percussionist, and I know that cymbal technique can be tricky, so unless he wants you to play cymbals like a monkey, starting with rhythm is a bad, bad plan.

A lot of J teachers would never do stuff like this. I doubt that it's type-related.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I don't know if it's being J or whatever, but I will say, when it comes to education I think giving a certain degree of freedom to the student is paramount. And fostering some open-mindedness too.
    Second that. Teachers who dont know that shall prepare for entp pupils (what does pupil mean in american english btw ?)
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics

While we're on it, what's with the whole idea of musical objectives? I couldn't think of a greater oxymoron.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    N/A
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Second that. Teachers who dont know that shall prepare for entp pupils (what does pupil mean in american english btw ?)
    In regards to American English, pupil can be (and often is) used as a synonym for student, though it also refers (perhaps more commonly) to the central point of the eye, into which light enters.
    http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u56/EnglerMeister/hehh.jpg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I think it kind of depends on the subject. Teaching something like advanced logic or syntax is bound to create complete madness and frustration if a non-J approach is taken on the part of the instructor. Freedom = confusion in situations like this.