• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

J teachers

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know how threadworthy this is, but this has been bothering me for a while.

I had a teacher last semester teaching us percussion. It was cymbal day. Before we even put the two together, we already had a parameter: play on the right beat. I thought, 'why?' I need to learn the motion of the crash, the grip, the follow through, and the mute ontop of that. What an unnecessary and preoccupying rule.

Don't I need to explore the instrument first?

Is it just me, or is this a huge educational blunder?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I don't know if it's being J or whatever, but I will say, when it comes to education I think giving a certain degree of freedom to the student is paramount. And fostering some open-mindedness too.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
hm well he's ENTJ, and works for a drum corps, which is like J central. I mean, I figure P's are more exploratory so...

Storiesandstorms

Interesting...I am an INFJ teacher. I teach kindergarten and ESL to 5 and 6 year olds. I suppose your teacher could have been thinking that giving you a parameter would make you feel safe with the instrument (by giving you a routine that you could obviously perform?) However, I am big on educational theory and research and they both advocate hands-on learning and inquiry learning. I try to strike a good balance of both discovery learning and structure with my students. If they were older (like middle/high school age) I would definitely give them the type test each year before I started planning instruction.
I'm sorry that you felt frustrated in your class! I agree that it can be liberating to explore first.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think that's J as much as it is just bad teaching. Obviously you should learn the TECHNIQUE before you do the rhythm. I'm a percussionist, and I know that cymbal technique can be tricky, so unless he wants you to play cymbals like a monkey, starting with rhythm is a bad, bad plan.

A lot of J teachers would never do stuff like this. I doubt that it's type-related.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I don't know if it's being J or whatever, but I will say, when it comes to education I think giving a certain degree of freedom to the student is paramount. And fostering some open-mindedness too.

Second that. Teachers who dont know that shall prepare for entp pupils (what does pupil mean in american english btw ?)

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
While we're on it, what's with the whole idea of musical objectives? I couldn't think of a greater oxymoron.

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
Second that. Teachers who dont know that shall prepare for entp pupils (what does pupil mean in american english btw ?)

In regards to American English, pupil can be (and often is) used as a synonym for student, though it also refers (perhaps more commonly) to the central point of the eye, into which light enters.

juggernaut

Permabanned

I think it kind of depends on the subject. Teaching something like advanced logic or syntax is bound to create complete madness and frustration if a non-J approach is taken on the part of the instructor. Freedom = confusion in situations like this.

Gauche

I think it kind of depends on the subject. Teaching something like advanced logic or syntax is bound to create complete madness and frustration if a non-J approach is taken on the part of the instructor. Freedom = confusion in situations like this.

I had an ESTP mathematician. She had somewhat playful approach during explanations, by that I mean she was giving stupid names to stuff so it was supposed to be remembered more easily, and basically she was "all-the-fun" in an ESTP obtrusive way. But she had that ESTP directiveness underneath, too. In conclusion, she could give you explanations and stuff in simplified and pragmatic way, so even "the less gifted" students could understand if they paid attention... otoh the explanations were somewhat shallow in theory so you didn't get the needed big picture and stuff, if you were, say, N. FWIW I liked the ISTJ lady-in-best-years mathematician with the "I don't give a fuck" attitude last year more. (But here that "I don't give a fuck" attitude is probably the key, not the J/P)

I got an ENTJ teacher, too, and that was nasty. She was encouraging students to do "creative" stuff, but in an NTJ way, you know, all controlled and in a way how SHE liked it, so it wasn't creative/free at all. She was all hyper and seemingly funny, but that was only on the surface. In truth, she was one evil:devil:, manipulative, controlling, directive, and arrogant person - with all this underneath the "we are friends, aren't we" face. She was using an emotional ransom to do what she wanted with dummies: at first she established a friendly connection, and then assumed "you owe me something" attitude.

Basically I liked P teachers more than Js (Except ESTPs and ENFJs); they are much more correct with dealing with students than Js.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Perhaps I'm too 'J' to get it, but being able to play the cymbal on the beat is a very important skill, so... yeah.