First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Jag, man--

I really don't give a shit. I've fully explained the altered interpretation of MBTI that I'm using, and all that I'm writing is under that pretense.

Get over it.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Really? I suppose you ought to write letters to a lot of professors, then, mine included. I'm sure they're all just uneducated hacks, though, in comparison to a person of such intellectual stature as yourself.
    Indeed I believe there are some rather ignorant professors in the US, blinded by religion or whatever. It just seems very different from here. Maybe some professors don't teach it because they are skeptics, it seems like such considerations are more important over there. I think it might be professors don't do that to the same degree here. As a psychology student you really need to know Big 5, if for no other reason, then because there is so much correlational studies using it, to study the correlations between personality and behavior.

Your use of the term "perceived usefulness" displays a fundamentally different perspective on what's "useful" than that of MBTI fans. For Ne, simply comparing various possible interpretations is an end unto itself; it doesn't matter if we accomplish any objectively verifiable goals in the external world. Just looking for common threads and placing them into mental frameworks gets us off, and that's good enough. Comprehending any possible interpretation of observed patterns IS a goal on its own!
    And I get that, I am a connection junkie myself. I can get off at theorizing based on MBTI theory... I have done so many times on this discussion board. But that's only useful in the sense that it is intellectually stimulating and rewarding for the individual. It doesn't necessarily have much to do with usefulness in the sense of being able to better understand and predict the behavior and thoughts of others.
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

I really don't give a shit. I've fully explained the altered interpretation of MBTI that I'm using, and all that I'm writing is under that pretense.
    All evidence to the contrary.
    You are giving a lot of shit in this thread--horse shit.
    I'll just continue to unleash the pungent odor of it,
    which can be found in most of your arguments.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

There's nothing 'modern' about mbti. It's still stuck in the dark ages. imo, it has about 60% truth to it and 40% theory. Alot of truth found in function but not order. All individuals are very different. Where mbti comes into play is when a person tests and decides for ones self which of the 16 they only closest come to. For it to evolve, it would need additional theory added on. Sure we have enneagram and other things to tweek it to best fit a person. Yet it needs more reality to it such as descriptions of function orders that are not found in the rules as it is now. These descriptions could go into the thousands when tweeking then with more theory. That's how evolving mbti could be done though. Once we have all this new extra theoretical crap sorted out, we could narrow it down a little only to find that mbti was still 60% accurate and 40% theory. It would help though because all these new descriptions of more than 16 function orders would be in some kinda direct/indirect support of the 16 that exists. Reason: all these new types would have been developed using the existing model of what we have today.

So what we need to have happen is Costrin and Blackcat to get busy on this right away starting with my own-Ne>Ni>Ti>Fi>Si>Se>?>Fe. Sarcasm is acceptable and most certainly welcomed it's a start.

Until then, i'll just be stuck with xNTP and xNFP. Just a scam?
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    All evidence to the contrary.
    You are giving a lot of shit in this thread--horse shit.
    I'll just continue to unleash the pungent odor of it,
    which can be found in most of your arguments.
    lol argue that ENTJ way: define your opponent's position for him and then ignore it when he explains that that isn't his position.

cute.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Indeed I believe there are some rather ignorant professors in the US, blinded by religion or whatever. It just seems very different from here. Maybe some professors don't teach it because they are skeptics, it seems like such considerations are more important over there. I think it might be professors don't do that to the same degree here. As a psychology student you really need to know Big 5, if for no other reason, then because there is so much correlational studies using it, to study the correlations between personality and behavior.
    Since we started discussing this, I've begun to read up on Big 5 myself. Started taking one of the tests but had to leave before I could finish, but frankly it seems very similar to MBTI, minus the neuroticism dimension.

It doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to incorporate that into MBTI by simply using statements such as, "He's a very neurotic ENTJ."

In fact, people around here already do that all the time; they just tend to use the terms "healthy" or "unhealthy" instead of "low neuroticism" or "high neuroticism."

Same concept, though.

And I get that, I am a connection junkie myself. I can get off at theorizing based on MBTI theory... I have done so many times on this discussion board. But that's only useful in the sense that it is intellectually stimulating and rewarding for the individual. It doesn't necessarily have much to do with usefulness in the sense of being able to better understand and predict the behavior and thoughts of others.
    That's possible. Personally, I'm not naturally empathetic, so MBTI worked as a sort of spring board for showing me that iNtuitive-Thinking intelligence is not the only kind of intelligence worth having or exercising. It put a name to these concepts that really helped me to conceptualize, accept and understand the fundamental differences between others and myself.

It helped me to stop considering all non-NTs to be complete idiots. I realized that everyone is actually rational in different ways; they just have very different values and priorities than mine. It's truly made me a more accepting person, and I'll always be grateful for that.

MBTI
    INTJ

Since we started discussing this, I've begun to read up on Big 5 myself. Started taking one of the tests but had to leave before I could finish, but frankly it seems very similar to MBTI, minus the neuroticism dimension.

It doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to incorporate that into MBTI by simply using statements such as, "He's a very neurotic ENTJ."

In fact, people around here already do that all the time; they just tend to use the terms "healthy" or "unhealthy" instead of "low neuroticism" or "high neuroticism."

Same concept, though.
    Indeed it is quite similar, and in order to understand why Big 5 is so superior, one must understand the differences in methods used. Big 5 is base upon the lexical and statistical approaches (it's data driven), MBTI upon the theoretical, and the theory it is based upon, is a theory from the 1920s, that there is no evidence for. From the scientific point of view, that's a massive problem. Secondly it's the type thing. The fact that traits are normally distributed goes against the type hypothesis. Then there is the fact that there is a wonderful Big 5 test named NEO-PI-R, which is the most reliable personality test out there, and so it's also considered the best. The trait of neuroticism is a big deal, because it is a massive gap in the MBTI taxonomy. By every measure it's a massively important personality trait, too important to be left out, and that's why many on this board take action into their own hands, and adds it. Openness and agreeableness has moderate correlations to intuition and feeling, but are more fundamental traits. That's what data-driven factor analysis is showing us.
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Indeed it is quite similar, and in order to understand why Big 5 is so superior, one must understand the differences in methods used. Big 5 is base upon the lexical and statistical approaches (it's data driven), MBTI upon the theoretical, and the theory it is based upon, is a theory from the 1920s, that there is no evidence for. From the scientific point of view, that's a massive problem. Secondly it's the type thing. The fact that traits are normally distributed goes against the type hypothesis. Then there is the fact that there is a wonderful Big 5 test named NEO-PI-R, which is the most reliable personality test out there, and so it's also considered the best. The trait of neuroticism is a big deal, because it is a massive gap in the MBTI taxonomy. By every measure it's a massively important personality trait, too important to be left out, and that's why many on this board take action into their own hands, and adds it. Openness and agreeableness has moderate correlations to intuition and feeling, but are more fundamental traits. That's what data-driven factor analysis is showing us.
    Then conceptually, we're effectively doing the same thing, just using a different naming system.

That's what I've been getting at all along.

MBTI
    INTJ

Then conceptually, we're effectively doing the same thing, just using a different naming system.

That's what I've been getting at all along.
    No, because MBTI is based on a completely false theory and completely different methods than Big 5. What makes Big 5 so good, is the sound methods it is based on. I realize this is a bit hard to understand unless you dip a little deeper into the material, though. It certainly took me some time and scientific schooling to fully appreciate.

It's analogies to the similarities between Christianity and Islam, but also in how these two faiths are ultimately incompatible.

garbage

Is the Big 5 actually used to categorize people in ways similar to the MBTI, or is it simply a scale for each of the five traits that measures one's overall psychological health?

If the latter, could the Big 5 be used as a sound, scientific basis for a typing system (such as SLOAN, which doesn't seem to have taken off) rather than using Jungian functions as the basis for one?

It seems like such a system would serve everyone's purposes to a greater degree.