User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    What to say about this ludicrous analogy? Do I think one better understand human beings by being trained in psychology? Yes, but there is only a point to this training if the skill is relevant (the theory is good). If the theory is bullshit, it's like learning a non-relevant skill.
    Why are you here on a typology forum, marking yourself as an INTJ, and immersing yourself in bullshit?
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

I brought that to the attention of a "marked" INFJ, who was potesting type.
    I got told to: "Go fuck myself."
    Lol.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Why are you here on a typology forum, marking yourself as an INTJ, and immersing yourself in bullshit?
    Because I am bored, because I love psychology and discussing it, because MBTI has sentimental value to me, and because there is some usefulness in viewing MBTI is a weak version of Big Five. The correlations are medium-high on the dimensions... I am an addict to applying theory, to seeing connections, and that's what I get out of it.
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

MBTI
    INTJ

Because I am bored, because I have a history of believing in this crap, out of ignorance, and because there is some useful in viewing MBTI is a weak version of Big Five.
    So are you here to teach everyone the prior errors of your ways and save them from their misguided selves, or are you admitting the usefulness (however minute) of MBTI?

I'm just curious as to your M.O. after this heated argument. I just want to make sure that the face-off you had with simulatedworld had some practical purpose aside from a giant pissing match.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ

So are you here to teach everyone the prior errors of your ways and save them from their misguided selves, or are you admitting the usefulness (however minute) of MBTI?

I'm just curious as to your M.O. after this heated argument. I just want to make sure that the face-off you had with simulatedworld had some practical purpose aside from a giant pissing match.
    I am here primarily for the stimulation.

What is the usefulness of MBTI? It's a complex issue. It's not very useful in scientific studies because Big Five is simply better. If you want your research to be as good as possible, you use NEO-PI-R, the most reliable, valid and best personality test.

As for using it on a personal basis, it absolutely holds some usefulness, in the sense that it's better than not knowing, but better yet is knowing Big Five results. It's like the difference between light microscopes and electron microscopes, between a sundial and a modern digital clock.
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

MBTI
    INTJ

I am here primarily for the stimulation.

What is the usefulness of MBTI? It's a complex issue. It's not very useful in scientific studies because Big Five is simply better. If you want your research to be as good as possible, you use NEO-PI-R, the most reliable, valid and best personality test.

As for using it on a personal basis, it absolutely holds some usefulness, in the sense that it's better than not knowing, but better yet is knowing Big Five results. It's like the difference between light microscopes and electron microscopes, between a sundial and a modern digital clock.
    I've never heard of NEO-PI-R, I will check it out, and I will give Big Five a second look.

Thanks for the tip - it's better to exchange useful information instead of vitriol.

garbage

I've never heard of NEO-PI-R, I will check it out, and I will give Big Five a second look.

Thanks for the tip - it's better to exchange useful information instead of vitriol.
    Here's a decent example, if you're brave enough for a 300-question test..

MBTI
    INTJ

In order to understand why Big Five is superior, it's important to understand the differences in methods used. MBTI uses a theoretical approach, while Big Five is purely empirical. First researchers found all the trait-descriptive adjectives in the dictionary, then they had people rate themselves on them, and factor analysis showed five clusters of traits. These five broad traits of personality has been replicated every decade since it's discovery and across numerous cultures and languages. The point is, when you have a theory-driven approach, how do you know that you are not missing an important trait, or that your structure is correct? The lexical and statistical approach is simply more powerful in this area of research... It's the only way you can know the structure of traits and sub-traits...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I assumed Victor was being silly about the being dumped for being an INFP thing.
    Thank heavens, Ivy, for your sense of humour.

Of course I was being silly in response to Heart's suggestion that I critiqued MBTI simply from a personal weakness.

So I said, yes of course, and here is my weakness itself - it proves everything I say is wrong because it comes from a twisted personal motive.

And I must say I was surprised to find anyone believed it - I guess they wanted to prove me wrong more than they wanted to see the humour.

What would I do without you, Ivy?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I was kind of surprised anyone took it seriously too.

As for your question, I suspect you would do pretty much exactly what you already do.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii