User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 180

  1. #101
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    What to say about this ludicrous analogy? Do I think one better understand human beings by being trained in psychology? Yes, but there is only a point to this training if the skill is relevant (the theory is good). If the theory is bullshit, it's like learning a non-relevant skill.
    Why are you here on a typology forum, marking yourself as an INTJ, and immersing yourself in bullshit?
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  2. #102
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,444

    Default

    I brought that to the attention of a "marked" INFJ, who was potesting type.
    I got told to: "Go fuck myself."
    Lol.

  3. #103
    Wannabe genius Splittet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Why are you here on a typology forum, marking yourself as an INTJ, and immersing yourself in bullshit?
    Because I am bored, because I love psychology and discussing it, because MBTI has sentimental value to me, and because there is some usefulness in viewing MBTI is a weak version of Big Five. The correlations are medium-high on the dimensions... I am an addict to applying theory, to seeing connections, and that's what I get out of it.
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

  4. #104
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Because I am bored, because I have a history of believing in this crap, out of ignorance, and because there is some useful in viewing MBTI is a weak version of Big Five.
    So are you here to teach everyone the prior errors of your ways and save them from their misguided selves, or are you admitting the usefulness (however minute) of MBTI?

    I'm just curious as to your M.O. after this heated argument. I just want to make sure that the face-off you had with simulatedworld had some practical purpose aside from a giant pissing match.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  5. #105
    Wannabe genius Splittet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    So are you here to teach everyone the prior errors of your ways and save them from their misguided selves, or are you admitting the usefulness (however minute) of MBTI?

    I'm just curious as to your M.O. after this heated argument. I just want to make sure that the face-off you had with simulatedworld had some practical purpose aside from a giant pissing match.
    I am here primarily for the stimulation.

    What is the usefulness of MBTI? It's a complex issue. It's not very useful in scientific studies because Big Five is simply better. If you want your research to be as good as possible, you use NEO-PI-R, the most reliable, valid and best personality test.

    As for using it on a personal basis, it absolutely holds some usefulness, in the sense that it's better than not knowing, but better yet is knowing Big Five results. It's like the difference between light microscopes and electron microscopes, between a sundial and a modern digital clock.
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

  6. #106
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    I am here primarily for the stimulation.

    What is the usefulness of MBTI? It's a complex issue. It's not very useful in scientific studies because Big Five is simply better. If you want your research to be as good as possible, you use NEO-PI-R, the most reliable, valid and best personality test.

    As for using it on a personal basis, it absolutely holds some usefulness, in the sense that it's better than not knowing, but better yet is knowing Big Five results. It's like the difference between light microscopes and electron microscopes, between a sundial and a modern digital clock.
    I've never heard of NEO-PI-R, I will check it out, and I will give Big Five a second look.

    Thanks for the tip - it's better to exchange useful information instead of vitriol.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  7. #107
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I've never heard of NEO-PI-R, I will check it out, and I will give Big Five a second look.

    Thanks for the tip - it's better to exchange useful information instead of vitriol.
    Here's a decent example, if you're brave enough for a 300-question test..

  8. #108
    Wannabe genius Splittet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I've never heard of NEO-PI-R, I will check it out, and I will give Big Five a second look.

    Thanks for the tip - it's better to exchange useful information instead of vitriol.
    In order to understand why Big Five is superior, it's important to understand the differences in methods used. MBTI uses a theoretical approach, while Big Five is purely empirical. First researchers found all the trait-descriptive adjectives in the dictionary, then they had people rate themselves on them, and factor analysis showed five clusters of traits. These five broad traits of personality has been replicated every decade since it's discovery and across numerous cultures and languages. The point is, when you have a theory-driven approach, how do you know that you are not missing an important trait, or that your structure is correct? The lexical and statistical approach is simply more powerful in this area of research... It's the only way you can know the structure of traits and sub-traits...
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

  9. #109
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I assumed Victor was being silly about the being dumped for being an INFP thing.
    Thank heavens, Ivy, for your sense of humour.

    Of course I was being silly in response to Heart's suggestion that I critiqued MBTI simply from a personal weakness.

    So I said, yes of course, and here is my weakness itself - it proves everything I say is wrong because it comes from a twisted personal motive.

    And I must say I was surprised to find anyone believed it - I guess they wanted to prove me wrong more than they wanted to see the humour.

    What would I do without you, Ivy?

  10. #110
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    I was kind of surprised anyone took it seriously too.

    As for your question, I suspect you would do pretty much exactly what you already do.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Similar Threads

  1. The Grand List of Anime MBTI Types
    By LunarMoon in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1092
    Last Post: 12-07-2017, 07:04 PM
  2. The MBTI types of MLB stars.
    By ferunandesu in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-05-2008, 04:53 PM
  3. What's the MBTI of..
    By Alfa Prime in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 08:59 PM
  4. Tone of the MBTI forum...
    By Athenian200 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-30-2007, 02:24 PM
  5. What is the point of the MBTI?
    By Dufresne in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 04:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO