User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Uh... honestly to me it just seems like what you'd find in place of horoscopes in the American Journal of Psychology...

Fun concept and all (and may give me something to think about from time to time), but not something I live my life by.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

MBTI
    INFP

I typed something but then I eated it.

garbage

Everyone's beaten "MBTI is useless" to death. Let's try something different.

MBTI is more useful when you first get to understanding it.. you just don't think about it as much once you understand the fundamental concept: that people think about and perceive the world in different ways. That's the entire point of the system, and that's what's hammered home when MBTI exams are given around corporate offices.

To one who's first starting out with it, they may think about their interactions with others a bit differently..

"This person might appreciate more direct and impersonal communication than I'm used to giving. I'd better cut the crap and get to the point."
    "This person may get offended if I'm late for an appointment with him. I'd better make a pointed effort to arrive on time."
    "This person seems to be detail-oriented and analytical, so I should ensure that my presentation is well thought-out."
    "This person doesn't mean to offend me.. he just perceives the world in a different way."

Soon, MBTI and a general understanding of the differences in other people gets so much rolled up into your subconscious that you don't even think about it anymore in your day-to-day interactions with people.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    MBTI is more useful when you first get to understanding it.. you just don't think about it as much once you understand the fundamental concept: that people think about and perceive the world in different ways.

Soon, MBTI and a general understanding of the differences in other people gets so much rolled up into your subconscious that you don't even think about it anymore in your day-to-day interactions with people.

I was thinking like that even before I discovered MBTI. I guess I'm now doing it the other way round. MBTI gives an extra layer of understanding about people and why they do the things they do.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Right. The thing is, how can we know what "true" type is?
    That's your problem right there imo - you think there's a way this is going to be verified, like...... physically? It seems like you've unified MBTI archtypes with Type Physicalism - Type physicalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is not what was intended. The types you've been introduced to are for your intuitve benefit, there's no real "links" in the world we can trace to determine one's "true type". MBTI is a pair of goggles you put over your eyes - a buildable set of Schemas for you to help digest the world. That's it, no truth, no grand revelations...... just another crazy human perception.

Asking what a persons "true type" is is like asking what "true Orange" looks like - its just a bad question that leads nowhere

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    That's your problem right there imo - you think there's a way this is going to be verified, like...... physically? It seems like you've unified MBTI archtypes with Type Physicalism - Type physicalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is not what was intended. The types you've been introduced to are for your intuitve benefit, there's no real "links" in the world we can trace to determine one's "true type". MBTI is a pair of goggles you put over your eyes - a buildable set of Schemas for you to help digest the world. That's it, no truth, no grand revelations...... just another crazy human perception.

Asking what a persons "true type" is is like asking what "true Orange" looks like - its just a bad question that leads nowhere
    Actually, I didn't unify it with that. The other person I was talking to insisted that there was such a thing as "true" type, so I asked how you could know what that was. To me, it just seems like type is a set of perspectives that you can't really be certain of how much they relate to you.

MBTI help you discover your strengyths and aptitudes. Other than that I see no use.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    To me, it just seems like type is a set of perspectives that you can't really be certain of how much they relate to you.
    And that's on point. What's the problem?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    And that's on point. What's the problem?
    Well, someone told me I was making wrong assumptions about types, and I couldn't understand what the right assumptions were.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Just to clarify when I refer to "true type", I'm referring to how you would prefer to be when not being influenced by external factors, of course external factors probably always have some influence but we can usually get a good idea of how we might like to be if there were no such thing as societal pressure/expectations etc. It is an assumption that we have an innate preference, but that we do seems to make sense to me. In an ideal world, how would you act? What would you do? I know as a guy I act a heck of a lot more "T" in day to day interactions than I would if I was stuck on a deserted island.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations