• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What types are your family and friends?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Father: ENTJ:
Conflict frequency: infrequent
Reason: Generally have similar perspectives. Socially, we tend to debate a lot -- it's good practice, plus it's enjoyable to defend a position in a friendly atmosphere. Makes for great opportunity to advance personal philosophies.

Force of conflicts: good-natured
Reason: I'm not interested in ostracizing a parent over gaps in ideology. It's rare for an issue to arise that would sufficiently test the mettle of this mutual commitment.

Efficiency when working together: sufficient
Reason: Outside of family get-togethers, we don't really collaborate on group projects.

Succesful strategies: See above.

Unsuccessful strategies: Taking friendly debates personally. He gets enraged; I become mean-spirited.

Mom :ISTJ:
Conflict frequency: often
Reason: Vast philosophical differences in lifestyle.

Force of conflicts: profound
Reason: Not really worth getting into.

Notes: Exceptionally smart. Very self-motivated. Destructive.

Younger brother: IsFP:
Good fellow; yet, lazy and lacks ambition. His lack of credentials has stunted employment opportunities, which has made for a rocky relationship with our father.

Other mentionables:

Wife: ENFJ:
Great Type pairing with INTJ. Sometimes the NJ urgency makes it difficult to see eye-to-eye on SP issues.

Brothers-in-law: ESTP; ENTJ
Couldn't ask for a better matchup.

Best friend: INTJ:
Known since I was a kid. Highly intelligent. Somewhat linear religious perspective creates artificial distances.

sonata

MBTI Type
iNtJ
Mom: INFJ - we get along very well for the most part. We're extremely similar and she knows me probably better than anyone. She's always been there for me and pretty much saved my life on multiple occasions. However, the T-F thing is definitely there. She doesn't always make sense, and she's devoted to fixing everyone she meets (including me). I sometimes say things that hurt her feelings without knowing and she'll ignore it and then two months later she starts yelling about it. :shock: This hasn't happened so much lately, though. I try to be good. :cheese:

Stepfather: ESTJ - This doesn't work. Vicious cycle of nastiness. He speaks to me like I'm a complete idiot, I rip his logic to shreds in the worst way I can think of. He has an obsession with household chores. They fascinate him. What those two see in each other is a great mystery of life. I guess he's dependable and she likes his sense of humor.

Sister: ESFJ - She's a lot younger than me so there was never much 'rivalry'. She has this sort of instant charm thing --- people who see her immediately adore her. Whenever we have the opportunity to do something fabulous like go to Italy, she complains that she will miss the dogs and cats too much. She and my mom go from over-the-top (from my perspective) Fe expressions of love to screaming, crying hatred every other day. I sort of mediate. Her father ^ understands her better than anyone else in the family. I do love her, but she thinks I hate her.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
As it looks. N's seems to really dislike the SJ's.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
No -- at least not for me.

My reasons are unrelated to type.
if types have a correlation with personnality is it really unrelated?

I'm not saying it's a rule, just that there's a correlation.

edit: the strength of the S\N could also have a role.

I mean, i have an isfp sister. she's not SJ, and is smart. Yet she's totally blind to some concepts, unable to see potential when at the same intelligence level an N would get excited\curious at least.

Yet she's working in a scientific environnement. It's a really different approach to the world that can be frustrating for an N and lead to communication problems.
I never really clash with her but I know i'd go crazy if i had to face her view of life everyday. It's like she doesn't see half of what's under her nose and will get overly interested in that one little and incomplete part.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
if types have a correlation with personnality is it really unrelated?

I'm not saying it's a rule, just that there's a correlation.

edit: the strength of the S\N could also have a role.

I mean, i have an isfp sister. she's not SJ, and is smart. Yet she's totally blind to some concepts, unable to see potential when at the same intelligence level an N would get excited\curious at least.

Yet she's working in a scientific environnement. It's a really different approach to the world that can be frustrating for an N and lead to communication problems.
I never really clash with her but I know i'd go crazy if i had to face her view of life everyday. It's like she doesn't see half of what's under her nose and will get overly interested in that one little and incomplete part.

Well, without getting into specifics, my rationale is primarily concerned with adverse biochemistry and its relationship to lifestyle/behavior.

Type is far removed from analytical consideration -- more a caveat, if mentionable at all.

fleurdujour

MBTI Type
INFJ
I thought it would be interesting to look at data on how types occur within families and see if there are patterns. In this thread post your type, what you can best estimate the types are of your parents (or whoever raised you) and siblings, and the birth order and gender of your siblings.

Me (Female): INTP

Mother: ENFJ
Father: INTJ

(No siblings)

Me (female): INFJ

Mother: ESTJ
Father: ISTP
Brother: ISTP

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mom - ISTJ - she's incredibly emotionally volatile and takes out whatever bothers her on everyone around her. she needs to get exactly her way to the dot. If you disagree with anything she says, it's because you hate her (in her mind). She treated me like shit as a child because I reminded her of her slacker asshole ENTP dad. She can't understand my way of thinking much at all. But she's very intelligent. Unfortunately she just uses it to manipulate everyone.
Dad - INTP - we get along extremely well and always have, but he's a bit of a pussy and never stands up to my mom. He's usually very quiet and withdrawn because it's his way of protecting himself for the world. He's incredibly intelligent (a genius I would say), but doesn't use his intelligence much in his everyday life except for his job (real estate investor). I really like talking to him because he always understands everything I say immediately and can add some cool insight, but I'm kinda pissed at him for never protecting his children against his crazy-ass wife (and he should have divorced her long ago)...
Brother - ENTP - he agrees with everything I say, pretty much always (3 years younger). He's funny, but somewhat of an arrogant asshole. He's a smart little fucker, though. We have interesting conversations, I guess, but he never disagrees with me, so they end up being a bit short (unless I disagree with him, and then I explain why, and then he agrees and it ends anyway).

But yeah, I'm the only F, and an FJ at that, so I end up feeling like I'm protecting all of them all the time. They don't really get that part of me or see it much... My mom feels like she does everything for the family, but she really has no idea...

Also, I think I understand people in a way that most of them don't, so it's hard to talk about people-oriented stuff, which is a big part of my thinking...

Holy Jesu- we need to football huddle on this shite. I can RELATE.

Doppleganger

MBTI Type
IxtP
Enneagram
5w4
These are my best guesses.

Me: ISTP
Mom: ENTP
Sister (older): ENFP
Sister (younger): xNFJ

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did this over a year ago, but will re-post because I've made a few modifications.

Dad: IxTJ (don't think I'll ever decide which. Suppose it doesn't matter though.)
Mom: ISTJ
Me: INFJ
Brother: INTP

Dad's Father - INTJ
Dad's Mother - ESFJ
Dad's Sister - xNTJ
Mom's Father - ISTJ
Mom's Mother - ISFJ
Mom's Sister - ISFP (pretty sure. Other option would be ISTP and that doesn't seem right)

== a lot of introverts. And a lot of control freaks. ;-)

G

garbage

:shock:

Three ENTJs in one family.

Did you guys take control of all your district yet?

It has to be really fun some way or the other :D

My brother has major political aspirations, my dad just came out of retirement to land a job with a lot of clout, and I'm asserting my influence across the board in every organization I'm in. So, I guess we have a multi-pronged approach ;)

The email debates on religion and politics between the three of us are just pure awesome, too.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Following EcK's format, and just because I like to think about these.

Father = ISTJ (maybe ISTP)

Frequency of conflict: mid to low

Force of conflict: mid

Efficiency when working together: mid -- Planning things out is usually redundant. Either one of us will come up with a solution that's about as good as the other person, so it seems like there's not much reason to have us both do it.

Strategies: Because we're so similar, when one of us makes a suggestion, it's something that we know would be hard for even the suggestor to do. He may suggest me to be more Extroverted or Feeling, when he knows it would be a challenge himself, or I may suggest that he be less SJ, even though I completely understand where he's coming from. So when we try to work out the other's problems, it really is like facing OUR OWN problems. This is where we meet resistance sometimes--we don't want to face the problems within ourselves.

Usually light humor smooths things out between us.

This would take far too long to go through every family member. I'll stop there, maybe pick it up later. Anyway, when faced with conflict, I usually just go to my cave and avoid it.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
My family is nearly entirely made up of SJs and a few NF that are a bit crazy... However, I have recently discovered that this is far from rare for Nfs, particularly ENFPs. It certainly adds some evidence for the nurture v nature debate albeit ancedotal.. Well ok maybe not evidence but definatley thinking material..

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
My family is nearly entirely made up of SJs and a few NF that are a bit crazy... However, I have recently discovered that this is far from rare for Nfs, particularly ENFPs. It certainly adds some evidence for the nurture v nature debate albeit ancedotal.. Well ok maybe not evidence but definatley thinking material..
"Far from rare" isn't quite causal evidence. :)

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
OK OK!! Mr. INTP I shall complete a survey before the day is out and report back my findings :D

booya moon

MBTI Type
ENTP
Mom: ENFP (with weak P, so she is borderline ENFJ, I guess). No conflict now, but when I there was a classic mother-type nagging like: Clean you room, etc. I must say, she tolerated the mess very well compared to my friends` parents.
Dad: ENTP. We get along great now, and also when I was little (ages 0-9). When I was in my teens, I challenged his integrity constantly and that led to some conflict, although again nothing extreme. I think ENTPs are great parents for little kids, because they are funny and educational, but maybe not so much for teenagers, because teenagers are such emotional wrecks they probably get along better with an F parent.
Younger brother: ENTP. We get along great and there was very little sibling rivalry when we were kids. We usually teamed up against parents :)

JRT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Mom-ESFJ
Nana-ESFJ
Sister-ESTJ? or ESFJ
Dad-ISTJ or ISTP
Myself-ISFP