• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What types are your family and friends?

IllusoryReverie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mother: ESFJ; 6w7
Father: ISTJ; 9w8
Brother: ESTJ; 8w9

Best friend: ISTJ; 5w?

I wish I came across intuitives in person more often :unsure:

cferrey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mom: ISFJ
Dad: ISTP
Aunt: ISFP

Best Friends: INTP, ENFP, ESFP, ESFJ

My grandfather on mom's side whom I never met seemed to be an INFP based on his interests and character.

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I thought it would be interesting to look at data on how types occur within families and see if there are patterns. In this thread post your type, what you can best estimate the types are of your parents (or whoever raised you) and siblings, and the birth order and gender of your siblings.

Me (Female): INTP

Mother: ENFJ
Father: INTJ

(No siblings)

Mum - ISTJ - did official test
Dad - ENTJ - did official test
Me, oldest - GOD KNOWS!!! come up INTP on cognitive processes test, a number of other types on other tests
Brother, middle - ISFJ probably
Sister, youngest - ESFJ/P probably

Man, this is a long thread. Do you have enough information to make an assessment Urchin ? It looks to me like there is no relationship/pattern at all :)

S

Society

an update:

based on stories about my grandmother on my mother's side, and my grandfather on my fathers side, who i have not known personally, i concluded that she was an ISFJ, and that he was an ISTP.

this makes for a fuller picture:

-> (Si > Fe > Ti > Ne) ISFJ (grandma)
-> (Te > Si > Ne > Fi) ESTJ (grandpa)
-> -> (Ne > Fi > Te > Si) ENFP (mom)
-> -> -> (Ne > Ti> Fe > Si) ENTP (me)
-> -> -> (Fi > Se > Ni > Te) ISFP (sis)
-> -> (Ni > Te > Fi > Se) INTJ (dad)
-> (Te > Ni > Se > Fi) ENTJ (grandma)
-> (Ti > Se > Ni > Fe) ISTP (grandpa)

if we go by straight forward genetics, which we probably shouldn't, my family tree would suggest that Ti-Fe is recessive.

Abbey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Father- ENTJ
Mother- ISFP
Sister (21)- ESFP
Sister (18)- ENFP
Me (16)- INFP
Brother (7)- INTJ

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Mother ENFJ
Brother INFJ
Father ISFP

Friends: male, mostly STP and some NTP. Female, mostly SFP, NFP and NFJ

Cousins: I have 14 so hard to type.

One confirmed ISFP and one confirmed INFJ (both girls). One guy who I am sure is ISTJ. One who I am sure is ESFJ (girl) another who I am sure is ESFP (girl). One uncle who is definitely ENFP, another aunt who is defintiely ISTP and possibly a closet lesbian (I can say this as it's an anonymous forum, and I love her anyway). One uncle who is defintiely NTP and married to an ENFJ. One aunt who is deiniftely ESTJ (headmistress of local Catholic School - don't fuck with her! But I lived with her for a time and earnt her respect as an hoenst and hard working guy).

Best friend growing up, male, typed as ESFP. No he is not gay. Think Homer Simpson xD

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Mom--ISFJ
Dad---ENFP
sister 1--ENFJ
sister 2--ESTP
sister 3--ESFP
brother 1--ISTP
brother 2--ESTP
brother 3--ISFJ

Grandmother 1--ISFP

Grandmother 2--I don't know. She was brilliant, graduated high school at eleven. IQ registered over 150, but she was very emotionally unstable and suffered from some sort of bi-polar disorder. She was both emotional and intellectual. She was also critical and seldom happy. I don't ever remember seeing her smile.

Grandfather 1--ENFJ
Grandfather 2--ISTP

megeetaytay

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Mum - ISTJ - did official test
Dad - ENTJ - did official test
Me, oldest - GOD KNOWS!!! come up INTP on cognitive processes test, a number of other types on other tests
Brother, middle - ISFJ probably
Sister, youngest - ESFJ/P probably

Man, this is a long thread. Do you have enough information to make an assessment Urchin ? It looks to me like there is no relationship/pattern at all :)
Hey, my dad is an ENTJ too...is your dad hard on you?? Do you have a good relationship with him? I'm just curious because I find my ENTJ dad extremely hard to please...something about the N rather than S gives him high standards but no definite rules or marks...so it's always a guessing game on how to please him. Do you feel the same?

megeetaytay

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Mom--ISFJ
Dad---ENFP
sister 1--ENFJ
sister 2--ESTP
sister 3--ESFP
brother 1--ISTP
brother 2--ESTP
brother 3--ISFJ

Grandmother 1--ISFP

Grandmother 2--I don't know. She was brilliant, graduated high school at eleven. IQ registered over 150, but she was very emotionally unstable and suffered from some sort of bi-polar disorder. She was both emotional and intellectual. She was also critical and seldom happy. I don't ever remember seeing her smile.

Grandfather 1--ENFJ
Grandfather 2--ISTP

Mind me asking what it's like having an ENFP parent?? I don't know any ENFP adults...and I'm curious what they're like!

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Mind me asking what it's like having an ENFP parent?? I don't know any ENFP adults...and I'm curious what they're like!

I thought my dad was pretty amazing. He was one of those people who never stopped seeing the wonder in the world. He died last year from cancer...rather, I like to say that he walked out of this world. My dad was a dreamer and a man of strong faith. It was this ability to dream and to believe in what he couldn't see that kept him going when my mom died and my brother died unexpectantly within a two year time period.

My daddy was a feeler and I don't think that made him any less intelligent in any way. It only meant that people were willing to listen to him when he talked. People loved him because they knew he cared about them, cared about what happened to them and took a personal interest in their lives.

He was the son of a Mexican sharecropper and a poor Cheorkee woman. Both cultures valued "feelings" as being highly important, more important than either education or intellilect in the traditional western sense. Both valued the power of stories to connect families and tie generations together. My dad believed that if you stop the stories, you stop the very thing which makes a people, a people. He never wanted us to forget who we were. Although, he sometimes embelished his retellings!....okay he embellished LOTS. Still, he brought something to our family from the cultures of both his parents. He brought stories. Every night he gathered us around the kitchen table and he told us stories, family stories that had been handed down for many generations. And over at the country store [cause we lived in rural Appalachia] he would have everyone in stitches with his often made-up tales. My dad could make a tale up at the drop of the hat and make it absolutely believable!

He could charm the ticks off a dog! Seriously, everyone liked him.

He loved to joke around and was known for being a bit of a prankster. He loved comedy and our house was always filled with laughter because of him.

He was hilarious and he loved "junk". My sister [ESTP] used to tease him and call him Fred Sanford. He was always jumping from one 'scheme' to another and some of them were just funny. It's a good thing my mom was so patient! They loved each other fiercly. He was passionate and Momma was devoted.

Daddy was also creative. He made things with his chainsaw and he always put the needs of his family above himself. He wasn't the most careful of 'artisans' though. His work often had a rough edge to it. His tables would have one leg shoter than the others or his eagle would turn out looking like a chicken and Momma would laugh at him. Then he'd set out to prove her wrong, only to have something else catch his attention. So we always had a bunch of "it seemed like a good idea at the time stuff" lying around our house. I didn't care. When he brought those ponies home in the car, it turned out good. When he hauled that port-a-potty around the county courthouse, it turned out okay. Oh, and when he decided to rasie hogs, that turned out okay, too. He was always doing something.

Oh, and he was real big on "blood". By that I mean that if one of his family members got in trouble, he was there, no matter if it was that person's fault or not.

I will never forget that one time he looked at me and said, "Sis [he called me that], you're not like other kids. You're the weirdest child I got, always sitting around reading books and stuff, but you got a lot of sense. When you grow up, I want you to write our story. You write it in a book."
I told him I would.

So, I guess the best way to sum up life with my ENFP father is to say that it was one heart-felt adventure after another.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Oh, yeah, my boss is ENFP, too, btw.
She's a hoot. I don't know another way to say it. She's a lot like my dad, if he had gone to college and earned a Master's Degree. She's witty and bright and well....very much like my dad.

I

Infinite Bubble

Their types are guessed as none of them have a clue what typology is and have no interesting in learning. I believe I'm the only intuitive in my close family, but I think an uncle of mine is (strangely enough, us two are also the only ones that are left handed and enjoy composing music) and my mother possibly too. They think I'm insane or something most of the time, or think I'm being cryptic or "awkward".

Mother - IxxJ 9w1
Father - ISFP 4w3
Sister - ISFP 3w4
Best friends - 2 INTJs (5w6, 9w1), ESTP 7w6

megeetaytay

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thought my dad was pretty amazing. He was one of those people who never stopped seeing the wonder in the world. He died last year from cancer...rather, I like to say that he walked out of this world. My dad was a dreamer and a man of strong faith. It was this ability to dream and to believe in what he couldn't see that kept him going when my mom died and my brother died unexpectantly within a two year time period.

My daddy was a feeler and I don't think that made him any less intelligent in any way. It only meant that people were willing to listen to him when he talked. People loved him because they knew he cared about them, cared about what happened to them and took a personal interest in their lives.

He was the son of a Mexican sharecropper and a poor Cheorkee woman. Both cultures valued "feelings" as being highly important, more important than either education or intellilect in the traditional western sense. Both valued the power of stories to connect families and tie generations together. My dad believed that if you stop the stories, you stop the very thing which makes a people, a people. He never wanted us to forget who we were. Although, he sometimes embelished his retellings!....okay he embellished LOTS. Still, he brought something to our family from the cultures of both his parents. He brought stories. Every night he gathered us around the kitchen table and he told us stories, family stories that had been handed down for many generations. And over at the country store [cause we lived in rural Appalachia] he would have everyone in stitches with his often made-up tales. My dad could make a tale up at the drop of the hat and make it absolutely believable!

He could charm the ticks off a dog! Seriously, everyone liked him.

He loved to joke around and was known for being a bit of a prankster. He loved comedy and our house was always filled with laughter because of him.

He was hilarious and he loved "junk". My sister [ESTP] used to tease him and call him Fred Sanford. He was always jumping from one 'scheme' to another and some of them were just funny. It's a good thing my mom was so patient! They loved each other fiercly. He was passionate and Momma was devoted.

Daddy was also creative. He made things with his chainsaw and he always put the needs of his family above himself. He wasn't the most careful of 'artisans' though. His work often had a rough edge to it. His tables would have one leg shoter than the others or his eagle would turn out looking like a chicken and Momma would laugh at him. Then he'd set out to prove her wrong, only to have something else catch his attention. So we always had a bunch of "it seemed like a good idea at the time stuff" lying around our house. I didn't care. When he brought those ponies home in the car, it turned out good. When he hauled that port-a-potty around the county courthouse, it turned out okay. Oh, and when he decided to rasie hogs, that turned out okay, too. He was always doing something.

Oh, and he was real big on "blood". By that I mean that if one of his family members got in trouble, he was there, no matter if it was that person's fault or not.

I will never forget that one time he looked at me and said, "Sis [he called me that], you're not like other kids. You're the weirdest child I got, always sitting around reading books and stuff, but you got a lot of sense. When you grow up, I want you to write our story. You write it in a book."
I told him I would.

So, I guess the best way to sum up life with my ENFP father is to say that it was one heart-felt adventure after another.

Your dad sounded like a wonderful person...honestly, that post sounded like a fictional story...with a great Father character and an understanding introvert reflecting his beautiful life :)
That description of your father reminds me a bit of Samuel Hamilton from East of Eden...whole hearted and with a love for life!
Thanks for opening up about your family with me.
I would love to read that book when you write it.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
megeetaytay,

You are welcome. It is all true. I promise. ENFPs can make absolutely great parents. I wouldn't have traded mine for anything. I love ENFPs, because my life would not be what it is without my favorite one:)

S

Society

if you don't mind me kidnapping the questions:

Hey, my dad is an ENTJ too...is your dad hard on you?? Do you have a good relationship with him? I'm just curious because I find my ENTJ dad extremely hard to please...something about the N rather than S gives him high standards but no definite rules or marks...so it's always a guessing game on how to please him. Do you feel the same?

i experienced a similar state with my father (though INTJ), and with a bit of irony, the best way to please him was not to try doing so at all, let him see you become your own person, and he'll stand in awe as the well oiled machine he happens to love runs on it's own doing it's own thing.

overall, i'd consider my mother a fairly good parent.
as the saying goes, "the trick is to deal a softer punch", and she has done that very well - correcting for her own parent's behavior, and as such, i never felt neglected or discouraged. much of her judgement as a parent was very well thought of.

the areas where i disagree with her stem from who she is as a person more then as a parent:

while she has always being there when needed as a security net, she is exceptionally oblivious to pragmatic realities, which makes it a struggle to bounce back on your feet from that security net. by pragmatic realities i mean things like bullying in school (whose fighting back i had to hide from her), social life dynamic (which she has sabotaged multiply times), and even basic financial realities (she actually thought that me not joining expensive family vecations she wants us to take is a passive aggressive reaction for her asking that i'll pay my way, not able to understand the concept of limited financial instruments in my disposal).

Fi is an issue, because her empathy is limited to a range of experiences she can understand, and she grew up in a cocoon from a lot of norms & stresses, she does't understand the concept of financial struggle. having had economically successful husband (my dad) and father (my grandfather), she devoted herself to studies and has barely earned a cent her entire life, and yet i was expected to start from sketch, and now so is my sister. it feels like being a spoiled brat to complain about it - i grew up with enriching extracurricular activities & so much traveling that i can only dream about being able to providing my own son with and so would most parents - but the reality is that i could make a lot less sacrifices if she would back me up, not only would i have easily being able to provide all of that for my son right now rather then having him wait until i am done with my studies & sufficiently successful, but i would have much better chances in my current divorce proceedings, and she would not be the slightest bit worst off for doing so. i'm not entitled for getting that backup anymore then she is entitled for what she has, but the simple reality is the family as a whole would gain a lot more and suffer a lot less if she wasn't so narrow sighted.

last but not least: her newly-bubbling inferior Si is becoming a pain in the ass, which wouldn't bother me so much if i didn't know about MBTI, but consequentially i understand that since we are both Ne doms, i have a little SJ growing in me too, and that early external sighting of the little fuzzy ISFJ inside of me scares the crap out of me.

EEW

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Me: INTP

mom: INTJ
Dad: ISFJ
Stepdad: ISTJ
Brother: ENTP

(I am sorta gambling on my dad and bro - my bro is still 11 and I his big 'example' so he's bound to be near my type)

Jstrazz

MBTI Type
IxTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Father: ENFP
Mother: ISTJ
Oldest Sister: ENFJ/P (she tiptoes the line)
Brother in Law: ISFJ
Second-oldest sister: ISFP
Me: ISTJ
Younger Sister: ESFP
Youngest sister: ESFP (probably)

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
As a general guess on what my family member's types are.

Brother: Some sort of Feeling type? He plays up his emotionality quite a bit compared to me. He'd likely test as a T type, but I think he plays up his emotions and evaluations to be that T-ish. I am the least confident in his type though.
Sister: ESTP with an ESFJ persona. Her inferior Ni issues are so glaringly obvious. Very extroverted to the point where she belittles my brother's introverted girlfriend, and assumes that she hates my sister because the girlfriend is shy.
Mother: ESTP ESFJ or ENFJ. I have no clue though. I just think she is pretty damn Fe though. Pretty 2-ish from what I know.
Father: ENTJ. Tests as an INTJ, but I am fairly certain that he is an ENTJ, though I could be wrong. I think he's pretty intuitive though, based on the fact that he always tells me to not believe everything that other's tell me and such.

Nicki

Retired
Mom - ESFJ 2w3
Dad - ESFJ 6w7
Sister - ISFP 9w8
My best friend is an INFP 2w1.

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Dad: ISTJ (confirmed) with exceptional Fi (IMO)
Mom: is mentally ill. (er, also confirmed...heh)
Oldest/me: IxFx (ISFJ? I dunno.)
Second oldest/sister: ESFP (guess)
Second youngest/brother1: ISTP (guess)
Youngest/brother2: INTP (confirmed)

Boyfriend: ISFP with strong Ni. (Had originally thought xNFP, but SeNi fits much better. Best guess, as he doesn't "believe in types" and so refuses to test.)

Boyfriend's wife/my FWB/friend/hard-to-describe-our-relationship-but-we-are-close person: ENfJ (best guess)

Boyfriend's wife's boyfriend/my former fling/friend: ENTP (guess)

Boyfriend and boyfriend's wife's roommate/my friend: ISTP (guess)