• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What types are your family and friends?

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I tend to gravitate towards NTs and INFs for friends. I have almost no S friends.

My Mom has tested ISTJ, my dad I'm guessing is an ISFJ, definitely ISxJ. I respect them both immensely.

My Mom is actually the one who got me into MBTI. She gave me the test when I was too young to read all of the words myself, and then i asked for another copy this year during break. I thought that I'd have changed a lot since I was that young, but my results were almost the same, except a lot more E.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Two Families..

Mom: ESFJ
Stepdad: ESTJ
"Full Blood" Brother: ESTP
"Half" Brother: ISTP
"Half" Sister: ENFJ (I think)

Dad: ENTJ
Stepmom: ESTJ
"Step" Brother: INFJ
"Cousinish" Sister: ESFJ
---
Friends:
Most of my best friends are the people I work with, and they break down like this:
ESTJ x2
ISFJ x2
ISFP
ENTP
ENFJ
INTJ

We're a decent mix of people actually, but we work pretty well together. Type conflicts really don't happen often.. though sometimes others get upset because I can be kind of forgetful when it comes to including others in planning. I've made a special point to do so so people don't feel left out.

My best friend is an IXFX (I've got him pegged INFJ, but the N and J are very slight. He definitely has INFP tendencies.)

And I'm an INFP. I get my N from my dad and my F from my mom, and my I and P from myself! Both of my step parents

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
My Family:
Me: INTP
Dad: ESFJ
Mum: INTJ (Many misunderstandings and clashes with this pairing).
Younger Brother: Introverted Feeler (Not sure if he has intuition or sensing yet, leaning toward intuition though).

On my mum's side of the family:
Nanna: ESFJ (My mum has always said that she married her mother!)
Pop: ESFP
Aunt: ISFP

On my Dad's side of the family:
Grandpa: ESTJ
Grandma: ISFJ
Aunt: ESFJ
Aunt: ISFJ
Uncle: ISTJ
Uncle: ESFP
Cousin: INTJ
Cousin: ISFP

My Friends:
Best Friend: ISFP
Others: ISTJ, ISFJ, ISFP
(Unfortunately I don't know many Ns)

I seem to get on really well with ISFPs, I wonder if this is common to other INTPs. They make me laugh and get me to do silly things I would never do on my own, but they also understand the introverted need for quietness and contemplation.

Last edited:

IrishStallion819

MBTI Type
INFJ
Me: Infj
Father: Infj
Mother: ESFJ
Brother: INTJ
Sister: ENFJ

This mixture of personality types has brought many hardships to my end..

milti girl

MBTI Type
INFP
Mother: INFJ - she took the test and she is an INFJ to the life.
Father: INTP - he didn't take the test but it's obvious as hell.
Brother: INFP - I have to make a wild guess here. Sometimes he comes across as a T.
Me (the youngest): INFP.
Cat 1: INFJ
Cat 2: ESFP - i figure since the pets were brought up in the same environment as my brother and i, and by the same parents, it might make some sense.

Mother's mother: ESFJ
Mother's father: I can't tell for sure, but an ENxJ.

Father's mother: INFP
Father's father: I hardly knew him, but I'm guessing INTP for some reason.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Father: ENFJ

The typical French armchair intellectual. He's a seducer, brilliant and smart. His mood may vary deeply, sometimes he's sweet as honey, and other times he's all rage and anger. Comediante, tragediante...

Nonetheless, I'd say I'm blessed to be the son of such a smart and famous man. I owe him a lot. He has a very wide network of acquaintances too!

As a father, he was not always home (since he had many affairs outside his marriage), but yet, in the same time he was extremely caring and affectionate. He was the one who would change my diapers, and cuddle me whenever I saw monsters under my bed.

Now, well, it's pleasing to have discussions with him about Musil, Sartre or Spinoza. He's very worried about my laziness and lack of ambition, but in the same time, he's in awe with my general intelligence, or so he says.

Mother : ISTJ

Very cold, neurotic person. She's always afraid to "touch" somebody, even her own childs. She also has a tendency to speak without noticiing or taking into account what's going around her.
She has a very dark mood too, and doesn't understand humor.

It's not possible to talk with her outside religious matters. When she has an idea, it must be implemented immediately.

She never says "hello... goodbye... please" to anybody. She only gives orders.

Older Brother :
ISFJ

My brother is perhaps the guy I would trust the most on earth, especially because I know he's my opposite in every domains. He's reliable beyond belief. He's not as "intellectual" as me, and suffers from a hidden inferiority complex towards my father and me. He's impulsive, secretive and very protective.

He's smart somehow, but not brilliant, and so far his lack of creativeness has prevented him to become the writer he dreams to be. I wish him the best of luck nonetheless.

He can be jealous, he's obsessed with what people thinks of him, but he's a good brother as a whole.

Elder aunt (sister of my dad) INTP

She's the real brain of the family. Even my father fears her, because he knows she's the only one that could outsmart him whenever they discuss phenomenology or poetry.

I owe her a lot too. She's ruthless, incredibly selfish and manipulative, she has no ethics whatsoever, but her intelligence and creative skills are simply astounding. She was elected the best student of France when she passed her aggregation (=PhD) of philosophy. Sartre noticed her, and that's how she presented him to my father.

She's mostly lesbian, but had some men in her life nonetheless.

Within the family, I'm her prefered nephew, because she thinks I'm the only one amongst the new generation that is worth her, that has inherited some real creative skills. As a consequence, whenever I try to visit her (she doesn't live very far away from me), she offers me dozens of books each time, saying I'm the only one who would truly read them.

Unique

I'll add to mine, I didn't read the "friends" part.

INFP - Awesome friend she's really easy to get along with and so very very unique

ESTP - Good friend that lives an hour away from me, he is insanely smart

ENFP - A true friend thats always there for you

harmonyizmine

Me: INFJ
Mom: ENFJ
Dad: IxTJ
Oldest Sister: ISTJ - we clash a LOT
Younger Brother: He's a mystery...ISFP?
Younger Sister: ESFP

Married an ExFJ

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
My parents are together, but my Ma is my Dad's second wife, so I have three half-siblings who are far older than me (but still feel like siblings nonetheless)

Mother: ISFJ - A beautiful person who deeply cares and I would gladly walk through fire for - whilst driving me totally nuts with her naivety and neuroticism.
Father: INTJ - He is a total genius, and can be a total tyrant. Love our idea-exchanging sessions, hate the occasional arrogance he displays.
(Full) Brother: ESTJ - We can have a lot of fun together - but just don't get each other. As kids there'd be fur and feathers flying, but it has gotten better with age.
(Half) Brother: ENTP - The one I arguably get along with best of them all, and the one who appears most similar to me. As a kid, I would get so excited when he'd come visit (after he moved out) We've grown apart with age, but are like excited schoolkids swapping stories and ideas when together.
(Half) Brother: INTP - He is such an enigma to me. Lived on the other side of the globe for a good portion of my young life, and have yet to figure him out. We get along really well, however.
(Half) Sister: IxxJ - She's the oldest and whilst I love her to pieces - I didn't grow up with her, nor am I around her all that often, seeing as she has a family of her own. Thus, her type is still somewhat of a mystery to me other than those two prominent letters.

I'll just list my nearest and dearest of friends.

ESFJ - My best friend. Who I love, and who loves to drive me crazy. His 'S' is not altogether that prominent, and we can debate theoretical things for hours. (He does tire of it far quicker than I and tends to prefer if it has practical application, however) Have similar general interests with opposing opinions on the specifics.
ESTP - Best friend from high school. Has taken us years to get to the level of comfort we are now, as initially we did not get each other. We can appear very similar - but actually could not be more different. She's also one of the very few females in my immediate friend circle, we both tire of drama that comes along with most chicks, I guess.
ENFJ - We can talk for hours, and he makes me laugh like no other. He is the biggest drama queen, but can also be quite rational when he sets his mind to it. We have a public love-hate relationship, but seriously adore each other under all the mocking.
ESFP - My drink/playmate. I could never be angry at him, he is quite possibly the singularly most charismatic human being on the face of the planet - plus, he genuinely CARES. I had the biggest thing for this guy for ages. We get along like a house on fire and talk about CHEMISTRY. Pity he prefers his ENFJ boyfriend (see above) :blush:

We'll stop there.
Got quite a wide range of types in my life, huh?
I seem to surround myself with other extroverts - but it's not that I don't like introverted types!
It's merely that my passion lies in performing, and the 'E' types are mainly the ones you'll find on the stage.

On the flip side, almost all of my exes were 'I's.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Me: ISFP
Mom: INFJ
Dad: INTJ
Half Sis: ESTP
Brother: ENFP
Brother # 2: ISTP

Best friends:

ESFP
ESFJ
ENTP
ENFP
INFP

My family is pretty kick butt. I don't think I could have asked for anything better. I've heard an ISFP or two talk about having a hard time with their INFJ parent/relative. I was a bit surprised at that. I'm closer to my INFJ mother than I am to anyone on the planet.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought it would be interesting to look at data on how types occur within families and see if there are patterns. In this thread post your type, what you can best estimate the types are of your parents (or whoever raised you) and siblings, and the birth order and gender of your siblings.

Me (Female): INTP

Mother: ENFJ
Father: INTJ

(No siblings)

Mother: ISFJ (I guessed her type but she's also taken the test a couple times & gotten this result) She's got a big heart. Unfortunately emotionally unstable, possibly has Borderline Personality Disorder. Highly perfectionistic. Was very encouraging, though highly critical, of me & my brother during our early childhood. Dysfunction didn't really rear its head until we were a little older.

Father: ENTx (though I'm not sure how much he infuenced my typing; he was in the Navy & out to sea a lot; died when I was 9) Guessing his type based on my memories, home movies, and letters. I think he was 50/50 on J/P; he was very orderly, but at the same time he had a wonderful spontanaeity about him... very dry humor, pushed us to do our best with everything.

Brother: ESTP - Born 2yrs before me. He died in '03 so I obviously can't get him to take the test. We were really close; partners in crime, and total opposites who understood one another incredibly well.

Me: INFJ (according to the concept of birth order, this makes a fair amount of sense to me. Younger siblings often deviate from their older siblings' habits to distinguish their own identity; etc.)

The majority of my friends are iNtuitive types.
My closest friend is an INTP.

The one exception being the girl I used to live across the street from, when I moved to this area 12yrs ago. We have a sibling-type bond. She's an ESFP. She pulls me into unexpectedly interesting situations, and I pull her into unexpectedly deep conversations. Takes a little time and prodding from both sides, but it's worthwhile.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Family dinner conversations:

Dinner with my father and two sisters is an interesting event. Well actually, there's never much life to it, but it would probably be either funny or painful to watch from the outside.

There's a mainly STJ atmosphere in the house. That's because we are:
ISTJ
ISTJ
INTJ
ESTJ
So what does the conversation look like? Someone starts telling a story from their day, usually my ESTJ sister. We all make comments, analyzing what happened, the mistakes made, the possible alternatives that person could have chosen. Then we settle into a solution, and the problem is solved.

Now we wait for someone to bring up another story, then we go through the process again.

Maybe it's not that different from other families' dinner conversations, when I think about it. It was just funny, as I finally realized that's how we do things.

maliafee

Me: ISFP

Mom: INFJ
Dad: ISFP

Brother 1: XNTJ
Brother 2: ESTP
Brother 3: INTJ
Brother 4: INFJ

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Mother- INFJ
Father- ENTP
Sister- INFJ
Me- INTP.../INFP<-(at this moment of time!)

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
My Biological Family
Mother: Schizophrenic
Father: ISTJ
Grandmother: (evil) ISTJ
Grandfather: (evil) ESTJ
Me: INTJ
*I have siblings but I either haven't seen them in 10 years or I've never met them.

My 'Adopted' Family
Other-Mother: eNFP
Other-Father: ESTJ
Sister: ENFj
Sister: ENFP
Brother: ESfP
Brother: EnTP

Friends
10+ Years: ENFP, ENFJ
5+ Years: ESFP, INFJ, ISFJ, INTJ, ISTP

something boring

MBTI Type
nnja
Enneagram
4w5
I think my mother is most likely and INFJ, and I feel very lucky in that. While our relationship is far from perfect, there is a strong understanding on BOTH sides (often transcending words), and I appreciate that. As far as everyone else, I'm not really sure, but I know they differ a lot from me.

My best friend is an ISTP, and while I love him to death, he can be terribly frustrating.

Last edited:

INFJ*

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Me: INFJ (duh!)

Mother: ENTJ
Father: INFP
Brother: ENFP
Grandma: INFJ

Potential mate: INTJ
Looking for: INFP

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Me: INTJ

What types are your family
*shrugs* No clue. Not sure I am even interested.

...and friends?
~ Male Roomie (known for 5 years): ISFP <-- quite annoying sometimes

~ (Best) Male Friend: INTP "with well balanced N/S and low P, in NF costume" (to quote him :tongue:) <-- works perfectly

~ Some others are ENFP, ENFJ, INFJ, INFP (all male) <-- works

~ Female Friend: ENFP <-- works perfect
~ Female Friend: INTJ <-- works goooood, even if we only talk occasionally
~ Female Friend: INFx <-- works great too, even if we only talk rarely

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Some of these are speculations, because they either refused to take the test, or can't for various reasons...But I'm at least 95% sure about all of them...

Me - INFJ

Father - ENTJ

Mother - INFJ (we are very close)

Grandma on Dad's side - ENFJ

Grandpa on Dad's side - ENTJ

Grandma on Mom's side - ENFJ

Grandpa on Mom's side - INFJ

Room-mate for two years - Tested as ENTJ, but feels he filled it out incorrectly because he is pretty introverted and very in touch with his emotions...FWIW, the type description which I feel fits him best is actually ISFJ...I'll try to get him to take it again sometime.

I have at least three close friends who are ENFJs (and one teacher I got along with pretty well, was ENFJ, but just BARELY extroverted, like 2 points) so pretty much xNFJ. Another teacher, who I worked with for a long time, is an ENTJ.

Also, I am an only child, which is why I have no sibling types.

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP
Me (male)-INTP (strong in all four characteristics)

Mother-ISFJ
Stepfather-ESFP
Father-ISFP
Stepmother-ExFJ

Grandmother(maternal)-INTJ
Grandfather(maternal)-xNTJ
Grandmother(paternal)-xSFP
Grandfather(paternal)-ExxP

Sister 1-xSFP
Sister 2-xSFx
Brother 1-xxxx
Brother 2-xxxx