12 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Default Important points to remember regarding MBTI

The MBTI detects categories of preferences rather than measuring how much of a trait one exhibits. The type pattern exists as a whole, and the MBTI code points to the pattern rather than a combination of independent preferences. However, in actual use of the MBTI, these preferences have often been described by many as if they are measurable traits and as if they can be combined to produce a “type.” Now, after over twenty-five years of use, most expert MBTI users are realizing the unintended consequences of using the instrument in that way.
    n looking at how temperament relates to the MBTI, it is important to remember that the results of any instrument are just an artificial snapshot in time. Also, an instrument is not the theory. The results of an instrument are neither the whole of a theory nor the whole of a personality. This is why ethical and competent users of the MBTI follow the face-to-face feedback standards of self-selection and validation by the client. One must not assume the results of the MBTI (or any other instrument) are one-hundred percent accurate. They must always be validated through an exploratory process such as we describe for temperament in this book.
    The MBTI instrument was designed to “indicate,” not measure, and is best used as a data point to guide you in a direction. It is not meant to be used as a “test-and-tell” method of discovering your best-fit type pattern. A process of self-discovery is always recommended to clarify your best-fit type pattern.
    Relationship of Temperament to Jung's Types and to the MBTI

Add some of your own clarifications if you'd like, people seem to be missing these points a lot.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Interesting article. It gets muddled when systems are mixed.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

I still don't see the distinction between MBTI code and "type".

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    I still don't see the distinction between MBTI code and "type".
    Well as far as I know the theory goes that there are only sixteen types, and those types have a set cognitive function order. So say for INTP, the "type" is perhaps better termed as "The Architect" or something like that and it's description will be based on how Ti followed by Ne, then Si, then Fe etc. all combine into that "type", they exist as a whole and can't be chopped and changed. So an X or hybrid or ambivert makes no sense within the theory.

So the code is a tool to try and guide you towards your type. If you score as an INTP, then it is likely that the "whole type" (Architect, unique combination of Ti, Ne, Si, Fe) will be a good fit for you. The code is only a guide though, if you focus too much on the preferences (T, F, S, N etc.) you could mislead yourself, when really what you should be looking for is your primary processes, and how they combine as a whole. The code is therefore best left to the test, beyond that you need to look at processes and not just individual processes but how they combine and interact as a whole "type".

If you get stuck trying to figure out if you're a T or an F etc. you need to step back and look at the type as a whole and which fits you best.

This of course is just my understanding I could be completely wrong.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

i've always know this.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

So there's no such thing as T or F, only INTP? Is it like how Chloride acts all crazy by itself, but when its bound with Sodium its normal?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Well as far as I know the theory goes that there are only sixteen types, and those types have a set cognitive function order.
    Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that I think the bolded part is bunk. You've inspired me to be one of those people that puts functional shorthand in my signature, just to serve as a reminder that I disagree with that idea.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that I think the bolded part is bunk. You've inspired me to be one of those people that puts functional shorthand in my signature, just to serve as a reminder that I disagree with that idea.
    It is interesting, I've never come across an explanation as to why the functions are supposed to be in set orders. I suppose Jung first recognised the sixteen patterns and then drew his conclusions from the patterns, rather than recognising the functions solely.

From Wikipedia:
    Jung theorized that whichever function dominates consciousness its opposite function is repressed and will characterize unconscious behavior.
    So there is the start of the order, if Fi is your first concious function then Fe must be your fifth (first of the unconcious shadow?). Then the order continues by differing between judging and perceiving, it kind of makes sense for a perceiving function to follow a judging function.

So Fi is the opposite of Fe, yet MBTI tries to determine them as a group?

When it comes to a function order like yours I would be tempted to explain the differences away throuhg things like you live in a sensing dominant culture so you recognise your Si more than your Ni etc. The problem is, when you start finding all sorts of explanations to try and make sure you fit the type then you're getting into BS astrology territory, where you can explain away any difference from your sign by all sorts of vague factors.

I'm not sure if I actually have a point to this...

Quinlan's Creations

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

MBTI thing I've noticed: S's often take forever to do the test, and hae toget things explaiend to them by some guy who ends up being INFP. (True story.)

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by mortabunt View Post
    MBTI thing I've noticed: S's often take forever to do the test, and hae toget things explaiend to them by some guy who ends up being INFP. (True story.)
    One thing I've noticed: You really really REALLY hate sensors for no good reason. Plus pretty much any type of person whom you've met one of and disliked. You're in high school... People are gonna be immature. Get over your hate and realize this- an important thing to remember about MBTI- every type, every person is equal.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)