• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Because I'm an XXXX."

wolfy

awsm
Not true. Anecdotal completely, but... I was an abysmal public speaker. I ran off stage crying nearly every time. Worked really, really hard at it. Ended up taking awards in moot court and am now teaching. So something clearly NOT a preference and NOT a talent ended up being a valuable skill after lots of work.

Not only that, overcoming that difficulty gave me a lot more confidence. That was the best thing I got out of it - turning something I was terrible at and afraid of into something I'm reasonably good at.

You have a point there. If a weak point is holding you back from fully utilising a talent then working on it can have a huge pay off.
Depends on what the weakness is and what options you have in dealing with it.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
You have a point there. If a weak point is holding you back from fully utilising a talent then working on it can have a huge pay off.
Depends on what the weakness is and what options you have in dealing with it.

The law of diminishing returns or the 80/20 rule applies here. If you can get a significant improvement overall with only a small amount of effort by bringing your weaknesses up from poor to fair, why would you instead concentrate all your effort on something you already do well to improve it marginally?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Who are you, and have we ever talked?

Rajah, meet Jaguar. I think he's been a lurker for the longest time, and only recently became more active in posting. So he's probably read your posts, but you probably haven't spoken with him yet.
I'm pretty comfortable with my type, thanks.

He's just speculating based on something you said not sounding ENTP-ish, not trying to convince you that your type is wrong. Don't worry, I'm not even sure he was serious.

I think you once said, "You are not an N!" based on my recalling that you had ":dry:" in your signature on here while I was on a different site. Presumably, the insinuation was that such a recollection requires good Si. And come to think of it, I've just opened myself up for you to say that again. :doh:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not that I don't like CNN, Rajah!

It's that I CANT WATCH CNN. Physically my eyes catch on fire every time.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
He's just speculating based on something you said not sounding ENTP-ish, not trying to convince you that your type is wrong. Don't worry, I'm not even sure he was serious.
Yep. I can't possibly dislike incorrect grammar.

Because I'm an ENTP.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
It's not that I don't like CNN, Rajah!

It's that I CANT WATCH CNN. Physically my eyes catch on fire every time.

That's why you wear special CNN goggles, silly.

The make Wolf Blitzer look like he has multicoloured clown hair, even the beard.

wolfy

awsm
The law of diminishing returns or the 80/20 rule applies here. If you can get a significant improvement overall with only a small amount of effort by bringing your weaknesses up from poor to fair, why would you instead concentrate all your effort on something you already do well to improve it marginally?

It's kind of difficult to say whether improving something you already do well marginally would pay off or not. The difference in skill between the top and mid earning people in any field is pretty marginal. Small incremental improvement in one area could really pay off.

I agree with what you are saying up to a point. But there are other options
You can build some kind of a support team or simply by getting so good at your talents make your weakness irrelevant.

I had the Theory of Constraints in mind when I was thinking about it. I've often come back to the theory of constraints when I've thought about strengths and how to utilise them. That's not what the theory is designed for but it works.
It really helps in running a factory too.

It depends. You'd have to work back from your objective to see how integral the skill is in obtaining the right result.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yep. I can't possibly dislike incorrect grammar.

Because I'm an ENTP.

Believe me, I don't get it either. The right-brained Ps might have given you all a bad reputation as far as precision and ability to spell goes.

I've noticed that NTPs exist between two poles. You have the ones that insist on precision in meaning (often defining words to avoid ambiguity), use a larger lexicon, and are bothered by poor grammar and spelling on one side.

On the other, there are the ones that claim spelling and grammar are "conventional cant" or something, assume they know what words mean when they don't, have very short attention spans, struggle with verbal complexity, and are very good at throwing out simple, random, irrelevant ideas, and coming up with ways to solve problems as they arise.

So my theory is that the first group of NTPs consists of left-brain, Ti-focused ones, and the second group consists of right-brained, Ne-focused ones. Most NTPs aren't at one of the two poles, and fall somewhere between them.

On the other hand, the only real difference might be that I like the way the first group thinks, and dislike the way the second group thinks.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know if this is your attempt at humor guys, but I can't help but feeling extreme prejudice against some of you that are posting in this thread. It's weird.

Anyways, MBTI shouldn't be a system that people are based on, it should be a system based on people. Just because I'm an INTP doesn't mean I don't like fluffy kittens and crying when I see the Notebook. It's a stereotype that INTPs don't do that kind of thing, but just because you go against the grain doesn't mean that you aren't classified into it.

Rajah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Believe me, I don't get it either. The right-brained Ps might have given you all a bad reputation as far as precision and ability to spell goes.

I've noticed that NTPs exist between two poles. You have the ones that insist on precision in meaning (often defining words to avoid ambiguity), use a larger lexicon, and are bothered by poor grammar and spelling on one side.

On the other, there are the ones that claim spelling and grammar are "conventional cant" or something, assume they know what words mean when they don't, have very short attention spans, struggle with verbal complexity, and are very good at throwing out simple, random, irrelevant ideas, and coming up with ways to solve problems as they arise.

So my theory is that the first group of NTPs consists of left-brain, Ti-focused ones, and the second group consists of right-brained, Ne-focused ones. Most NTPs aren't at one of the two poles, and fall somewhere between them.

On the other hand, the only real difference might be that I like the way the first group thinks, and dislike the way the second group thinks.
Actually, I'm a right-brained person with wicked Ne, and I insist on precision, correct grammar and spelling.

Analyze that.

Rajah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I don't know if this is your attempt at humor guys, but I can't help but feeling extreme prejudice against some of you that are posting in this thread. It's weird.

Anyways, MBTI shouldn't be a system that people are based on, it should be a system based on people. Just because I'm an INTP doesn't mean I don't like fluffy kittens and crying when I see the Notebook. It's a stereotype that INTPs don't do that kind of thing, but just because you go against the grain doesn't mean that you aren't classified into it.
Threads do the crazy things threads do, but I think you hit on the point. Sometimes people stereotype themselves into a particular box. And that's a potentially pretty huge downside of sticking a four-letter personality label on yourself.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

That actually reminds me of another axis that has nothing to do with other one.

On one side, there are NTPs who are very focused on structure and meaning in terms of a system, are sensitive to logical nuance, and tend to insist on understanding things in an objective way.

On the other, you have these really whiny NTPs that insist on viewing everything in terms of humanity in contexts where that don't make sense, focus on how a system affects people, say weird things about authenticity and being human, and have really esoteric personal truths that are based on some subjective sense of justice with an unclear origin that they can't explain properly.

Again, this could be just another way I've come up with to separate out the NTPs I comprehend and like from the ones that confuse and annoy me.

wolfy

awsm
Yeah, it's dangerous to buy into the type thing completely. It's just one tool to help in understanding yourself.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Actually, I'm a right-brained person with wicked Ne, and I insist on precision, correct grammar and spelling.

Analyze that.

You must have highly developed left-brain skills in addition to your right-brained nature?

Rajah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Sometimes I even insist on good spelling. Other times, spelling itself is sufficient.

I love posting at 2 AM.