User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: N elitism

MBTI
    ENFP

Default N elitism

This is a question for all you Ns out there, although maybe you Ss could give an alternate perspective too. Anyhoo, it seems in the Myers Briggs Test, the N vs. S divide is the biggest and most important distinction. Many of us Ns feel somewhat ostracized and alienated from mainstream society because S virtues and thought patterns seem to dominate it. This is particularly true for high school and such, but can last our whole lives for some.

Anyway, due to a combination of these feelings of alienation, plus the idea that we are the ones with the capability for abstract thought, not them, (and the group that generally produces the world's great artistic and even scientific geniuses), I could seriously see a strong movement toward N elitism (or dare I say it...N supremacy?) among people who follow the Myers Briggs Test.

Personally, I do not consider myself superior to individual people with S personalities, I try ot judge people on a case-by-case basis, not with generalizations and assumptions. But I think society in general needs to move in more of an Nwards direction in terms of the values and ideas it upholds.

What are all your thoughts on this? Does this N elitism strongly exist among many N followers of this test, and if so, is it justified?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

No, it's bullcrap. Neither here nor there. We all have and use both S and N, and neither is better than the other.

MBTI
    entp

its not explicitly promoted, but if you look around in social circles Ns usually do have an upper hand when it comes to status quo

age plays a very important role

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think N elitism pretty much equates to either creative or intellectual elitism. And certainly, some Ns are in fact "elite" when it comes to those areas. But I guess being elite doesn't become offensive until it shows up in your attitude. And when someone has the attitude, and nothing behind it, it's even more offensive, and then just becomes lame.

Enneagram

S functioning is essential. But nobody remembers the construction workers who built the great building, they remember the architect. The S pump out the babies and keep society running, but the N's are more visionary. What I am trying to say is, if ever there was an Übermensch who created an enlightened Despotism, that person would be an N.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

contraire mon frair. It is J/P that is key in MBTI and its testing. What decides S/N F/T to be E/I? There are more questions on S/N due to their vagueness. The questions pertaining to S/N are some of the toughest imo.

Why do intuitives tend to be just a tad more close to their dog or cat? Its their pets senses that are most enjoyed subconsciously by the intuitive.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Call me when you need to investigate a murder scene or to find the missing million in your financial statements, but since I am more of a lover than a fighter. I will let you all fight it out to rule the world and after everyone is destroyed I will quietly lead the masses.. :yim_rolling_on_the_
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    No, it's bullcrap. Neither here nor there. We all have and use both S and N, and neither is better than the other.
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Where there is one extreme intuitive there is also an equal and opposite extreme intuitive
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

garbage

I think the proportion of S to N in the population is about where it needs to be. If we didn't have a strong anchor, society would make changes way too quickly for our own good.

It's just unfortunate that this strong anchor also seems to make those who aren't a part of it feel ostracized or elite, when, in reality, both perspectives are needed to differing degrees.