• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

N elitism

FinalFrontier89

MBTI Type
ENFP
This is a question for all you Ns out there, although maybe you Ss could give an alternate perspective too. Anyhoo, it seems in the Myers Briggs Test, the N vs. S divide is the biggest and most important distinction. Many of us Ns feel somewhat ostracized and alienated from mainstream society because S virtues and thought patterns seem to dominate it. This is particularly true for high school and such, but can last our whole lives for some.

Anyway, due to a combination of these feelings of alienation, plus the idea that we are the ones with the capability for abstract thought, not them, (and the group that generally produces the world's great artistic and even scientific geniuses), I could seriously see a strong movement toward N elitism (or dare I say it...N supremacy?) among people who follow the Myers Briggs Test.

Personally, I do not consider myself superior to individual people with S personalities, I try ot judge people on a case-by-case basis, not with generalizations and assumptions. But I think society in general needs to move in more of an Nwards direction in terms of the values and ideas it upholds.

What are all your thoughts on this? Does this N elitism strongly exist among many N followers of this test, and if so, is it justified?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
No, it's bullcrap. Neither here nor there. We all have and use both S and N, and neither is better than the other.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
its not explicitly promoted, but if you look around in social circles Ns usually do have an upper hand when it comes to status quo

age plays a very important role

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think N elitism pretty much equates to either creative or intellectual elitism. And certainly, some Ns are in fact "elite" when it comes to those areas. But I guess being elite doesn't become offensive until it shows up in your attitude. And when someone has the attitude, and nothing behind it, it's even more offensive, and then just becomes lame.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
S functioning is essential. But nobody remembers the construction workers who built the great building, they remember the architect. The S pump out the babies and keep society running, but the N's are more visionary. What I am trying to say is, if ever there was an Übermensch who created an enlightened Despotism, that person would be an N.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
contraire mon frair. It is J/P that is key in MBTI and its testing. What decides S/N F/T to be E/I? There are more questions on S/N due to their vagueness. The questions pertaining to S/N are some of the toughest imo.

Why do intuitives tend to be just a tad more close to their dog or cat? Its their pets senses that are most enjoyed subconsciously by the intuitive.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
Call me when you need to investigate a murder scene or to find the missing million in your financial statements, but since I am more of a lover than a fighter. I will let you all fight it out to rule the world and after everyone is destroyed I will quietly lead the masses.. :yim_rolling_on_the_

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Where there is one extreme intuitive there is also an equal and opposite extreme intuitive:)

G

garbage

I think the proportion of S to N in the population is about where it needs to be. If we didn't have a strong anchor, society would make changes way too quickly for our own good.

It's just unfortunate that this strong anchor also seems to make those who aren't a part of it feel ostracized or elite, when, in reality, both perspectives are needed to differing degrees.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I see the "big geniuses and artists" being N as a way to balance things out. N and S reasoning are both important but since there are less Ns, it often takes someone really good to score a point for us, from society's perspective.

I do think there is a bit of elitism on both sides. We just talk different languages and often have a hard time understanding each other.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I just think there's no real way of knowing how large this N/S population is. I don't know. I feel surrounded by Ss, but it really could be nature vs nurture. If someone is discouraged from behaving a certain way, it doesn't mean that they don't think that way - they just may not express it. And there are a lot of people, women specifically, that don't have much of a voice in this world - so we have no idea whether they would say if they are S or N. They just adapt to the world in which they live.

It's like T vs F. If I didn't live in this society which allowed my feminine T to flourish, I'm sure I would have suppressed it and lived out my days in misery without knowing why. Or if I didn't have access to a great education, would my T be so apparent, thus reducing the statistic?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...What are all your thoughts on this? Does this N elitism strongly exist among many N followers of this test, and if so, is it justified?

While things have settled now, this very topic came up in the first half year or so that this forum was in existence... if you search the archives. (elitism both with the test and the forum itself, due to the high preponderance of N's here).

You'll also note that a lot of sensors seem to want to be classified as N's... because creativity is a prized trait in our culture. Any type can be creative and insightful, though; you don't have to be N in order to have those traits.

While there could be some level of snobbery involved, part of it is probably positive reinforcement of ego structures that normally felt like a minority among the S-style culture.... if there is an overreaction and snobbery there in any sense, it can easily be part of a necessary growth curve that goes away once someone gets their feet under them so to speak and they feel confident in who they are and don't need to push back against the "oppressive S culture" or put it down anymore.

I think the proportion of S to N in the population is about where it needs to be. If we didn't have a strong anchor, society would make changes way too quickly for our own good.

Yeah, a little yeast goes a long way.

S's keep things anchored so that N helium doesn't float the whole planet away.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
This is a question for all you Ns out there, although maybe you Ss could give an alternate perspective too. Anyhoo, it seems in the Myers Briggs Test, the N vs. S divide is the biggest and most important distinction. Many of us Ns feel somewhat ostracized and alienated from mainstream society because S virtues and thought patterns seem to dominate it. This is particularly true for high school and such, but can last our whole lives for some.

Anyway, due to a combination of these feelings of alienation, plus the idea that we are the ones with the capability for abstract thought, not them, (and the group that generally produces the world's great artistic and even scientific geniuses), I could seriously see a strong movement toward N elitism (or dare I say it...N supremacy?) among people who follow the Myers Briggs Test.

Personally, I do not consider myself superior to individual people with S personalities, I try ot judge people on a case-by-case basis, not with generalizations and assumptions. But I think society in general needs to move in more of an Nwards direction in terms of the values and ideas it upholds.

What are all your thoughts on this? Does this N elitism strongly exist among many N followers of this test, and if so, is it justified?

The best artists I have known Have been S's. Their tactile skills are clearly superior to an N's. This doesn't extend into poetry or visionary art.

contraire mon frair. It is J/P that is key in MBTI and its testing. What decides S/N F/T to be E/I? There are more questions on S/N due to their vagueness. The questions pertaining to S/N are some of the toughest imo.

1Why do intuitives tend to be just a tad more close to their dog or cat? 2Its their pets senses that are most enjoyed subconsciously by the intuitive.

I'm going to call bullshit on two counts.

1.Intuitives aren't closer to animals. The type closest to animals is ESFP, followed by ISFP.

2.That's ridiculous.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Left hemisphere is S and T, right hemisphere is N and F.

SF and NT use both hemispheres.

ST uses left hemisphere, NF the right one.

The other animals have two right hemispheres.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
You can call an N out on their elitist bullshit, but you'll probably get the responses in this topic.

In the real world, I really don't think many give a damn about MBTI. I, myself, am still skeptical on the whole system. That being said (and I do loathe that phrase), on the Internet, Ns are another matter. There are many elitists among Ns. Interestingly enough, S's supposedly outnumber Ns - in the real world. But this is quite contrary online. There should be S elitism, but I don't see it. Instead, I see 'Dismiss this, dismiss that, looking out for numero uno'.

Elitism - Group
Selfish - Single.

[Edit] We all need to get along. It isn't happening anytime soon and it's pissing me off.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
You can call an N out on their elitist bullshit, but you'll probably get the responses in this topic.

In the real world, I really don't think many give a damn about MBTI. I, myself, am still skeptical on the whole system. That being said (and I do loathe that phrase), on the Internet, Ns are another matter. There are many elitists among Ns. Interestingly enough, S's supposedly outnumber Ns - in the real world. But this is quite contrary online. There should be S elitism, but I don't see it. Instead, I see 'Dismiss this, dismiss that, looking out for numero uno'.

Elitism - Group
Selfish - Single.

[Edit] We all need to get along. It isn't happening anytime soon and it's pissing me off.

I'm yer friend! (100% N!):hug:

But seriously, I get really tired of the over-emphasis around here of division, rather than seeing our similarities. MBTI really brings it out...:cry:

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Elitism - Group
Selfish - Single.

S-type elitism in the "real" world seems obvious to me with beauty pageants, etc... but I really don't buy into all of this either. We all use S and N. And I don't feel elite or non-elite online or in the "real" world. I'm too busy daydreaming... :wink:

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I think that lots of modern artistic "geniuses" are S's. Look at how many ESFx actors or ISFx musicians there are.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Being a musician does not make you a genius, by any means. And there are plenty of N musicians. This whole topic... ugh.