User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default What personality types does popular culture encourage most?

Generally, I've found that popular culture in North American society encourages people to emulate certain personality types more, and emulates the "virtues" of certain types applied to certain demographics.

I've found that it encourages the following for these groups-

younger males-ESTP
    older males-ESTJ
    younger females-ESFP
    older females-ESFJ

Would you agree with this? If not, what personality type attributes do you think popular culture (including general social norms as well as the media) encourages?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I would say that the personality types that get the most airtime are..

Women: Any Extraverted feeling type, except possibly INFJ. ESFJ, ISFJ, and ENFJ are all pretty common stereotyped types for women, and often considered the "norm".

Men: Depends. The quiet, hardworking type: ISTJ. The party type: ESTP. The hardworking boss: ESTJ or ENTJ. It's all about the T for men though; the others aren't nearly as important as the T.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I would say that the personality types that get the most airtime are..

Women: Any Extraverted feeling type, except possibly INFJ. ESFJ, ISFJ, and ENFJ are all pretty common stereotyped types for women, and often considered the "norm".

Men: Depends. The quiet, hardworking type: ISTJ. The party type: ESTP. The hardworking boss: ESTJ or ENTJ. It's all about the T for men though; the others aren't nearly as important as the T.
    Hmm, yeah, the F and the T division by gender in terms of expected norms are pretty obvious.

I'd argue that since they compromise the majority, "S" type dispositions are generally more emulated by pop culture and society in general. Especially in teenage/youth culture, an "N" disposition really seems to be frowned upon, unfortunately.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I would agree with that, for American culture anyway.

I think it's valued in this order:
    1. extroverted
    2. sensor
    3. feeling for women & thinking for men
    4. the spontaneous P for the young & the structured J for the mature

The closer to that, the more "normal' you seem. This means INXXs are the weirdos, which may be why we congregate & hide out on the internet
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I would agree with that, for American culture anyway.

I think it's valued in this order:
    1. extroverted
    2. sensor
    3. feeling for women & thinking for men
    4. the spontaneous P for the young & the structured J for the mature

The closer to that, the more "normal' you seem. This means INXXs are the weirdos, which may be why we congregate & hide out on the internet
    Yeah, I'd actually argue S is valued the most, but it's a pretty accurate analysis you have there. As an ENFP I think I've got the "weirdo" stigma my whole life, and though it bugged me when I was younger and I still consider it somewhat of an injustice, I would rather be "weird" than normal any day. I'm pretty close to being INFP though, to be fair. It's just that I can be REALLY outgoing at times, and I do have a need for a good deal of social interaction, so I guess that pushes me just over the line.

MBTI
    I

For men, it seems that pop culture promotes ESTP. And for women, ESFP.

However, in the professional world, society promotes the following:
    Men: ESTJ
    Women: ESFJ

The F/T divide with women/men is most obvious.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by FinalFrontier89 View Post
    younger males-ESTP
    older males-ESTJ
    younger females-ESFP
    older females-ESFJ
    Definitely. I'd never thought about the J/P switch for older/younger people, but it makes sense. The "all-American" young man is heavy into sports, while young women seek fashion. Older men are conditioned to work hard out of a sense of purpose and duty, while older women take care of social arrangements and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by FinalFrontier89 View Post
    Yeah, I'd actually argue S is valued the most, but it's a pretty accurate analysis you have there. As an ENFP I think I've got the "weirdo" stigma my whole life, and though it bugged me when I was younger and I still consider it somewhat of an injustice, I would rather be "weird" than normal any day. I'm pretty close to being INFP though, to be fair. It's just that I can be REALLY outgoing at times, and I do have a need for a good deal of social interaction, so I guess that pushes me just over the line.
    oh and this

MBTI
    INTJ

Just look at which type has most children for each gender, that is the type culture encourage most for each gender.
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    Definitely. I'd never thought about the J/P switch for older/younger people, but it makes sense. The "all-American" young man is heavy into sports, while young women seek fashion. Older men are conditioned to work hard out of a sense of purpose and duty, while older women take care of social arrangements and the like.
    Actually... it's not quite that simple. There are other things like politics, volunteering to run a school progrm, etc. There are definitely niches for young ESTJs to be fairly popular without going ESTP.

Conversely, there's also a popular brand of "rebel" adult that never settles down and just flies by the seat of their pants, having a good time, etc.

There's a lot less pressure on J/P specifically, I think. EST and ESF, yeah, but they'll let either a J or P though happily.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    we fukin won boys