• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What personality types does popular culture encourage most?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pop culture also brought you Kurt Cobain& Bob Dylan. (hint: not ST/SJ)

The OP included general social norms, and I think that's what everyone has been addressing...

As for pop culture concerning celebrities, then a variety of types may turn up.
However, I think that mainstream pop culture is not as embracing of the offbeat in recent years. It seems to reflect the social norm more & more, instead of celebrating the avant garde artist.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I agree with that.
I know that INFP's sure as hell aren't the ideal personality type in the American culture.
It sucks, but I like being an INFP, and if I were naturally accepted by society I probably wouldn't be an INFP... I think that's a catch-22... this is kind of scary...

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Young men: ESTP.
Young women: ESFP.
40's men: ESTJ.
40's Women: ESFJ.
Old Men: ISTP.
Old Women: ISFP.
Really old men: ISTJ.
Really old women: ISJ.
Really young boys: ESTP.
Really young girls: ESFP.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I would agree with that, for American culture anyway.

I think it's valued in this order:
1. extroverted
2. sensor
3. feeling for women & thinking for men
4. the spontaneous P for the young & the structured J for the mature

The closer to that, the more "normal' you seem. This means INXXs are the weirdos, which may be why we congregate & hide out on the internet :D

Then when we go out, we have to handle things like a military operation. We are oppressed in real life. Dumbassed ES tpyes want us boy IN's to play football and get laid just to prove our worth. Then the females get pressured for boyfriends and lipstick. They don't understand the phrase: "I don't care about that." The internet is pretty much an INTP and INTJ society, especially forums. Facebook is an ES site. Youtube is an IS site. Pretty much everywhere is meant for S types. I remember a saying, adn this is how it should go: The meek shall inheirit the earth, but not the mineral rights. It's pretty much how IN's, especially the gifted INFJ's can become so influential, but not really be poweful. We haven't had an INTP president for a century, I think they've all been ISJ's and ESP's recently. This shows just how much our society prejudices itself against IN's.
P.S.: Entropie, the type you are describing is the ISTJ. :devil:.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's hard to talk about popular culture in general, but I've notice that in the particular case of american teenmovies, the most valued roles are the roles of cheerleader and player of american football. At the opposite, the roles of nerd are the most depreciated. Theses stereotypes work well even if they're criticized. So, in theses movies, some functions are valued and gift bonus, and some others not.

Se, is the most valued function, because teenmovies encourage to be outgoing, physically oriented, to make sex etc. This function gifts a bonus of 8 in dominant, and 4 in auxillary.

Fe, comes next, it represents soiciability and conformism, very useful to manage social crisis, follow fashions rules etc. This function gifts a bonus of 7 in dominant and 3.5 in auxillary.

Te, then, because this function gift strong hability for leadership and social intelligence, so that function gifts a bonus of 6 in dominant and 3 in auxillary.

Ne, is valued too, but in a minor way. Ne give some sort of sociability, but anticonformism too. Extrovert intuitive have difficulty to respect social norm, and usually don't make any effort in this way. Elsewhere, extroverted intuitive represent frequently the "free electron" character. A valued role, but not extremely. That function gifts a bonus of 5 in dominant and 2.5 in auxillary

Si, comes then, because even if introverted sensors are usually not as sociable ant outgoing as they would have to be to take a good place in the social hierarchy, Si is associated with a form of conformism and the hability to integrate groups and take responsability. That function gifts a bonus of 4 in dominant and 2 in inferior.

Fi, is valued in the sense of it induces in some sort to have social relationships, but to be a loner and individualistic, too. That function gifts a bonus of 3 in dominant and 1.5 in inferior.

Ti, is very depreciated in teenmovies, because induces to be concerned with intellectual issues, have his own principles, to be anti-conformist and a loner. That function gifts a bonus of 2 in dominant and 1 in auxillary.

Ni, is the most depreciated function, no way or almost Ni help to be concerned with sex, social conventions, and fashion, and so, no way Ni is encouraged in teenmovies. That function gifts a bonus of 1 in dominant and 0.5 in inferior.

So, from the most encouraged, to the least encouraged:

ESFP= 9.5
ESTP, ESFJ= 9

ESTJ= 8
ENFJ, ISFJ= 7.5
ISFP, ISTJ= 7
ENFP, ENTJ= 6.5
ENTP, ISTP= 6
INFP= 5.5

INFJ, INTP= 4.5
INTJ= 4

Actually, teenmovies are probably well representative of the sight focused on each type in popular culture.

secondhandsight

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
Ireland seems to have an inverse of American
preferences. Intuition and feeling in both directions
are favoured, and the arch-characters defining
the cultural character are INFJ and ENFP.
Extroverted sensors are most at odds with the
general feel of the place. Feeling is not discouraged
in men so there isn't much of a specific insistence
on T-type protocol, allowing male Fs to emerge
unscathed ;) Interesting thread.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I think ENTJs have it decently in comparison to some other types

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Ireland seems to have an inverse of American
preferences. Intuition and feeling in both directions
are favoured, and the arch-characters defining
the cultural character are INFJ and ENFP.
Extroverted sensors are most at odds with the
general feel of the place. Feeling is not discouraged
in men so there isn't much of a specific insistence
on T-type protocol, allowing male Fs to emerge
unscathed ;) Interesting thread.

If that's true, then I'm fleeing to Ireland. The whiskey (spelling?) is also a great selling point.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I reckon France is the most iNtuitive-friendly country, for both thinkers and feelers. Maybe that's why everyone hates em?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I reckon France is the most iNtuitive-friendly country, for both thinkers and feelers. Maybe that's why everyone hates em?

I can't understand the France hate... just can't. Historically, they really did not make major mistakes or anything that would cause that much hate. Because everyone in America doesn't like France, it makes me love France even more.

secondhandsight

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
If that's true, then I'm fleeing to Ireland. The whiskey (spelling?) is also a great selling point.

Haha, welcome in folks. Whiskey is a well-
tested way to deal with the idiosyncratic
organisational styles present :) I think
NF-types in particular are attracted to
the place but for the most end up
aggravated to fluck by the relative
inefficiency cf. the USA. Overall I'd
recommend it as a short-term antidote
to EST-land, but then again, the savage
loves its native shore ;)

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I reckon France is the most iNtuitive-friendly country.

I think it's NF.

Historically, they really did not make major mistakes or anything that would cause that much hate.

Haha. They made huge mistakes, just like other nations and states (La Terreur? Expansive chauvinism? Massacres against civilian in Algeria?), which of course doesn't justify hate against a whole country.

Because everyone in America doesn't like France, it makes me love France even more.

?

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
People just have a tendency to jump on the France hating bandwagon.

ENTJs seem to me like they'd turn high school and college into a playground for themselves.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
It really isn't logical, but I was working last year with French and Irish. I hate to say the ones that I work with at least were very racist. The Irish person kept trying to correct pronunciation. Now I have a mid-western accent, if she really didn't like it, she didn't have to hire me. The French persons on the other hand, would only talk to each other and if they had anything to say to others it was always done in a condemning tone and higher than thou attitude. They didn't have higher educational degrees and I don't remember seeing them as falling from the aristocratic family line. So it just had to be a general dislike of others. I didn't feel so bad when I seen another new person that had just started also from France being treated like wise. My guess had to do with social ranks..???

Of course this is based off of the few that I have met, just like we can't judge a whole country by a few of it members. But as many times I have run into these French it usually has the same feel about them. British on the other hand. Usually they are always great fun. I have had a few really good friends from them.

I am hoping to meet a French person that will change my feelings towards them and until that happens. I stand as far away from them as possible. lol