User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx

Question Interaction styles ctc and bts. examples of these patterns?

Hi all.

Really curious what is the difference between the Chart the course interaction style and behind the scenes interaction style?

or just what do you define as ctc or bts? don't have to compare and contrast.

I have read descriptions but i actually want to hear from users who know they use there interaction style.

any specific questions needed for clarity let me know .
    thanks in advance

link to read about CTC and BTS/ the other two interactions also.

Understanding Yourself and Others ... - Google Book Search

pg. 10-14 gives self portraits on the interaction styles.
    I definitely have BTS with a cherry*ctc* place on top.
    is there other links out there that go into about it more. I have read linda berens articles on 16types/4 temperaments.
    also love to see if these descriptions resonate with you guys from the book preview.
    What is Feeling?
    Feeling is primarily a process.....that imparts to the content a definite value in the sense of acceptance or rejection. In the same way that thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value. Feeling, like thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason...
    (Carl Jung, Psychological Types, Chapter XI - Definitions)

MBTI
    INFP

I have a behind the scenes interaction style. I know one difference is that I focus more on getting everyone on the same page, rather than figuring out my own vision/ideas and imposing that. BtS types are driven by a need to integrate, while CtC types are driven by a need to anticipate so they want to have a plan for what is going to happen.

So I have an INFJ friend who has the CtC interaction style. He already has his ideas of what he wants to do and is not as open to changing based on the prevailing mood. He shows a lot more drive than I do. I have a strong independent streak yet left to my own ideas, I don't really know where I'm going half the time. I am really go-with-the-flow, like a stream that shifts and turns and follows the course. It's not that I am uninfluential. I am quite persuasive actually, but I get everyone to buy-in. And since it never seems like I am imposing, I am often more successful than my more extroverted friends.

Another difference is in how we respond to conflict and stress. There are four responses: fight (in-charge types), flight (chart the course), flurry (get things going), faint/freeze (behind the scenes). Under stress I freeze and concede and agree, usually avoiding conflict. Like an ostrich with its head in the sand, I repress the conflict at the first hint of trouble.

According to that book you quoted (which I have, along with all the others in the series), under extreme stress the type starts acting like its opposite. In my case, that would be the In Charge type. And YES I am an unhealthy fighter! If pushed too far I am the most rigid person imaginable. I don't back down and I hate when people want to leave the fight. I am so uncharitable at those times. It like Naomi Quenk says, INFPs when "beside themselves" become like unhealthy ESTJs.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyinspring View Post
    BtS types are driven by a need to integrate, while CtC types are driven by a need to anticipate so they want to have a plan for what is going to happen.

CTC here.
    You gave a good explanation.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Duchessoftheshadows View Post
    Understanding Yourself and Others ... - Google Book Search

also love to see if these descriptions resonate with you guys from the book preview.
    "Pages 4-31 are not part of this book preview."
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I have a behind the scenes interaction style. I know one difference is that I focus more on getting everyone on the same page, rather than figuring out my own vision/ideas and imposing that. BtS types are driven by a need to integrate, while CtC types are driven by a need to anticipate so they want to have a plan for what is going to happen.
    Another difference is in how we respond to conflict and stress. There are four responses: fight (in-charge types), flight (chart the course), flurry (get things going), faint/freeze (behind the scenes). Under stress I freeze and concede and agree, usually avoiding conflict. Like an ostrich with its head in the sand, I repress the conflict at the first hint of trouble. ...
    Ah, thank you so much for this post, ladyinspring. I've heard a lot of people mentioning interaction styles, but I never really understood the differences in the styles before now.

I am definitely a behind-the-scenes type. When people won't communicate or let our nebulous ideas can coalesce I get very anxious. When I start anything I want people to go around in a circle throwing out ideas/responding in a circle infinitely until we come up with an acceptable synthesis. I conflict with chart-the-course types a lot.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

ISTP is Chart the Course.
    The way it works is:

IST/INJ: CtC
    EST/ENJ: In Charge
    ISF/INP: BtS
    ESF/ENP: Get Things Going.

Very similar to Social Styles and ancient temperament theory, the factors are E/I and Directing/informing (which is T/F for S types, and J/P for N's). So CtC is directive (task focused) and BtS is informing (people-focused).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

*shrug* If the shoe doesn't fit, I don't wear it.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    I am definitely a behind-the-scenes type. When people won't communicate or let our nebulous ideas can coalesce I get very anxious. When I start anything I want people to go around in a circle throwing out ideas/responding in a circle infinitely until we come up with an acceptable synthesis. I conflict with chart-the-course types a lot.
    According to the book, behind-the-scenes types are like in-charge types in that they want to control the outcome. On the other hand, chart-the-course types and get-things-going types want to control the movement of the process towards a goal. I really, really, REALLY just want to get to the end. I'm not sure if this is the same as what you're saying.

BtS types sometimes control the information flow in order to reach the desired outcome. I have a strong interest in getting to a particular place, regardless of how we get there. I may often be that person that makes you anxious, the one who seems quiet and isn't tossing around ideas. But this is because I already have in mind what is best and my main interest is in getting us to that place. I may have a problem "checking out" of the process until I feel a place where I can step in and get us to where I think we should go.

This is different from CtC types (which an ISTP would be according to the theory), and it sounds different from what you're describing. CtC types don't want to control the outcome (as you apparently don't), they want to keep things moving. They're about progress and process. It's in the name "chart the course". Like I said, I flow with the course toward the end, I don't care about the course itself. I care about the end.

So an example: I say to my family "we should go out to dinner" because it's Sunday night and I'm bored and there's money and we always have a good time when we go out. If they start tossing about ideas as to where we go, I typically say nothing at all. If someone wants me to "get involved" or share my opinion, I often feel like my mind is blank because I don't have an opinion beyond "let's go to dinner". I'll mainly step in if there is some conflict. In fact, I admit that I often feel that the more ideas are tossed about, the more likely there is to be conflict, and conflict gets in the way of reaching the goal.

So when I talk about integrating viewpoints, that's the way to get to the end as far as I'm concerned. It's a way I would prefer over just telling everybody what we should do (like an in-charge type might do). For me, integration is about the END. When you say synthesis, that sounds like a process, not a result.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx

Smile

According to the book, behind-the-scenes types are like in-charge types in that they want to control the outcome. On the other hand, chart-the-course types and get-things-going types want to control the movement of the process towards a goal. I really, really, REALLY just want to get to the end. I'm not sure if this is the same as what you're saying.

BtS types sometimes control the information flow in order to reach the desired outcome. I have a strong interest in getting to a particular place, regardless of how we get there. I may often be that person that makes you anxious, the one who seems quiet and isn't tossing around ideas. But this is because I already have in mind what is best and my main interest is in getting us to that place. I may have a problem "checking out" of the process until I feel a place where I can step in and get us to where I think we should go.

This is different from CtC types (which an ISTP would be according to the theory), and it sounds different from what you're describing. CtC types don't want to control the outcome (as you apparently don't), they want to keep things moving. They're about progress and process. It's in the name "chart the course". Like I said, I flow with the course toward the end, I don't care about the course itself. I care about the end.

So an example: I say to my family "we should go out to dinner" because it's Sunday night and I'm bored and there's money and we always have a good time when we go out. If they start tossing about ideas as to where we go, I typically say nothing at all. If someone wants me to "get involved" or share my opinion, I often feel like my mind is blank because I don't have an opinion beyond "let's go to dinner". I'll mainly step in if there is some conflict. In fact, I admit that I often feel that the more ideas are tossed about, the more likely there is to be conflict, and conflict gets in the way of reaching the goal.

So when I talk about integrating viewpoints, that's the way to get to the end as far as I'm concerned. It's a way I would prefer over just telling everybody what we should do (like an in-charge type might do). For me, integration is about the END. When you say synthesis, that sounds like a process, not a result.
    hey Ladyinspring
    sorry i took while to respond, just thinking it over .
    stuff i highlighted is what i agree with.
    kinda of torn with these two styles but see a favoritism toward BtS but also CtC.

ooh Eric B can i ask you a question or two?
    when you say CtC is task oriented and BtS is people oriented
    how is a CtC "task oriented" and BtS "people oriented"?
    what seperates the two? Is there a motive behind the interaction style "actions" that seperates the two? comparisons?

like two could be doing the same action but for different reasons?
    Thanks Eric B .

colors:
    what you said right here is definitely how i do things and is what i think would say be behind the scenes interaction style from what i've heard and see it in myself.
    "When I start anything I want people to go around in a circle throwing out ideas/responding in a circle infinitely until we come up with an acceptable synthesis".
    also something that popped in my head I do notice i like movement towards a goal but i think it's to reach the "end" so BtS is looking more of preference

but I do also use CtC just as much cause i can apply actual progress and even as a isfp I do like to plan out the steps to take to get the desired result even though i get impatient cause i do want that end result hehe.

I relate to when Eric b said somewhere on here about " CtC being about planning but not as expressive as GtG but less likely to consult others"

"http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/mbti-tm-enneagram-other-personality-matrices/9300-process-vs-outcome.html"

I agree with alot of what you say about wanting to pay it all off etc instead of little by little and alot of the stuff that was mentioned.
    prefering an apartment cause you pay off monthly and don't expect them to ever end.

"Once you make the payment, you are set for the month. "

exactly very true cause other wise it's a pain xDDD.
    I can see how my BtS I.S can make answer J on some questions on the mbti thing. Definately an outcome preference, can seem impulsive cause of this.

one of the first things i do when i finally know what i want I start planning immediately the steps to take like a list in my head.

thank you.
    Last edited by INFtha14; 05-31-2009 at 10:07 AM.
    What is Feeling?
    Feeling is primarily a process.....that imparts to the content a definite value in the sense of acceptance or rejection. In the same way that thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value. Feeling, like thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx

Lightbulb

So I have an INFJ friend who has the CtC interaction style. He already has his ideas of what he wants to do and is not as open to changing based on the prevailing mood. He shows a lot more drive than I do. I have a strong independent streak yet left to my own ideas, I don't really know where I'm going half the time. I am really go-with-the-flow, like a stream that shifts and turns and follows the course. It's not that I am uninfluential. I am quite persuasive actually, but I get everyone to buy-in. And since it never seems like I am imposing, I am often more successful than my more extroverted friends.

Another difference is in how we respond to conflict and stress. There are four responses: fight (in-charge types), flight (chart the course), flurry (get things going), faint/freeze (behind the scenes). Under stress I freeze and concede and agree, usually avoiding conflict. Like an ostrich with its head in the sand, I repress the conflict at the first hint of trouble.

According to that book you quoted (which I have, along with all the others in the series), under extreme stress the type starts acting like its opposite. In my case, that would be the In Charge type. And YES I am an unhealthy fighter! If pushed too far I am the most rigid person imaginable. I don't back down and I hate when people want to leave the fight. I am so uncharitable at those times. It like Naomi Quenk says, INFPs when "beside themselves" become like unhealthy ESTJs.
    hey ladyinspring Hmm....think i have had a true aha moment.

You know I was returning to this cause i remembered what you said about
    under extreme stress the type acting like it's opposite aka "in charge".

How you described is definitely something i relate too and can see cause i'm not naturally like that. I definitely flip the switch and will not relent in anyform until it is resolved etc. I also hate when someone just wants to sweep problems under the rug I just can't do that. I just notice a tendency to expose the crap under the rug xDD like some patterns in my family where they try to "act" like everything's alright and here's me thinking why do we put up with this? I read somewhere that Fi can be where we think
    "some things just have to be said" hells yes xDD. I'm too "things just have to be said" to be ISFJ hmm....i'm talking when i was 12 yrs old.

just an example to illustrate my way of doing things I said to a relative
    " i just can't pretend that everything is alright....I can't go out there and put on a happy face when something "is" wrong *conflict is present*. I just can't." I have been known to be wound exposure and the type to take that pretty rug and expose all the crap that people try to hide if i see it and it affects "us" xDD.

In the four temperament books where they describ the definitions for the temperaments. One that really stood out was
    Creating harmony: They will go to great lengths to create harmony in relationships. This does not mean they are totally averse to addressing conflict, and they will in fact brave conflict for the greater good of future harmony and integrity. .

Does this resonate with you Ladyinspring being infp and all?
    to me the way i think doesn't sound very ISFJish *my Fe sucks xDD...working progress...trying to improve it heh*
    I can see a estj switch now that i think about it. Nothing has resonated like this in the terms of the whole "under extreme stress you go to this type thing" it just makes since. Guess i have been digging into my inner "estj" with my controlling mother *for my mother am sure is now an ISFJ*
    ^^D.
    What is Feeling?