User Tag List

123 Last

Default How Do You Differ From Your Type?

My husband made the statement just a little while ago that, in his personal opinion, he didn't like the MBTI because he felt like it made too many generalizations or something like that. So, I was wondering... how do you differ from your type? Anything hugely significant? And are there any generalizations about your type that your particularly don't like?
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Generalizations I do not like about INTPs? That we are:
    1. Cold / Don't care about people.
    2. Don't have emotions / are machines.
    3. Don't live in the "real" world.
    4. Don't have any "common sense."

There are tendencies to these things, true; but they usually are expressed openly only by dysfunctional/extreme INTPs, and the rest of the time it seems to be more a misunderstanding or the results of another type's excess.

For example, we can have "common sense," but there are other concerns that prevent us from just accepting a purely common sense solution. And we see the destructive elements of impulsive emotion, so we tend to detach such things from our decision-making, so we can make a "fair and impersonal" decision that weighs all factors into account rather than just the ones we happen to favor at the time.

We also do not indulge in showy displays of emotion and don't deal well when others "over-emotionalize" around us, it's just too much to deal with. We usually show we care by listening, or giving advice, or sharing information about the world; if we did not care, we would not bother, we just feel uncomfortable with more personal emotional displays of affection.

--

As far as me personally, I focus much more on my N and less on my T, and I've developed some more formalized social ability so that I can come across as warm and friendly in a way that most INTPs do not. (It's more like the Fe version of friendliness.)

I struggle between trying to reduce life down to one defined equation, versus viewing life as an infinite number of viewpoints depending on where I place my feet.

I also enjoy isolation, but at the same time desire very intimate personal relationships in terms of "knowing" someone deeply [it's more the exchange of personal information than spending time together that interests me... so I suppose that is more an INTP approach to intimacy].

I'm also very sensitive to how others might be feeling and consider that a factor to take into account, rather than to be dismissed as irrelevant to the question at hand (especially if we are talking inter/intrapersonal matters).

--

The generalizations are such because they help define the extremes. But few people are at the extremes. No one will ever fit perfectly into a generalization. That's simply to be expected and accepted. It doesn't mean the concepts are useless, they just give a starting point from which to individualize.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    how do you differ from your type?
    Not by much from the other INFJs here I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    And are there any generalizations about your type that your particularly don't like?
    Plenty. But mostly it's the big assumption that what type you are assumes you will behave like the type descriptions. And the other generalisations that lead to prejudices that make absolutely no sense (to me), because people are making generalisations about generalisations about generalisations.

I differ from INTJ in that I recognize the value of emotions. I'm like my type in that it's hard for me to feel or understand them. But I think the happiest, most well-rounded people make decisions and live life by melding logic and emotion. I can't do that, but I think it's good, and that is certainly not an INTJ outlook.
    Last edited by EffEmDoubleyou; 09-10-2007 at 04:44 PM.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I really do not obsess over what people think of me. I am extremely shy at first and I think gossip is stupid. Most people annoy me.
    I bet they'll put something in the air tonight, just to light your face.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm not a flake. I find most people boring/annoying/stupid. I don't care about having a "large circle of friends".
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

In general I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the future. I'm aware of it, but I don't have five year grand schemes.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INXP

Lateralus wrote:
    I'm not a flake. I find most people boring/annoying/stupid. I don't care about having a "large circle of friends".
    For some reason, that first sentence caught me as funny: "I'm not a flake, I swear! I've never done anything flaky in my life!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

Positively different:
    Clean-freak
    Responsible/get things done
    I observe details
    Negatively:
    Sometimes too dull and boring
    Not as flexible as I would like
    Can have obvious emotional outbursts (rarely, thankfully)

...and about a million of other things, which is why I cannot persuade myself I am really an INTP

MBTI
    INXP

lastrailway,

Based solely on your list, I would say you're an ISTJ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.