User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Understanding People with MBTI

Senior Member Array

My epiphany from first learning about my MBTI type years ago was a confirmation that people really did think differently than I did. I knew that instinctively, but never understood why. Finding out that I was in a box in the top right corner of the MBTI grid and that most of the people I interacted with at work and in my personal life were wayyyyy over in the opposite corners was one of those lightbulb moments for me.

I don't want to fall into the trap of treating people like stereotypes instead of individuals so I don't type people I know. I know that seems odd for someone who hangs out on typology forums, but I really don't care what MBTI type someone is. It's enough for me to know that most people think differently than me and I rely on my own read of someone to figure out how best to communicate with them. I am interested in personality theory and I assume my knowledge of it gets applied when I'm reading people and situations, but I use a lot of other data and skills I've honed over the years as well. I've only ever asked my best friend and my husband to take the test.

I have explained my MBTI type to a few people in an effort to help them understand me. Usually I show them the Compleat Idiot's Guide to the INTJ, it's simple and amusing and gives them some idea of how my mind works. If people are going to stick me in a box anyway, I figure it's better if they use the right one.

972 so/sp
    EII Ni

It has definitely helped me understand the dynamics at work, in particular the interaction between an ISTJ coworker and ESFP coworker; in particular Mr. ISTJ w/Asperger's accidentally upsetting Miss emotionally volatile, physically disabled, rape survivor ESFP. I said one day that it seems like I'm ending up as everyone's personal therapist, LOL
    Autistic INFP

Some stuff I'd say on this topic would just be "+1" to other posts here, especially

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    My epiphany from first learning about my MBTI type years ago was a confirmation that people really did think differently than I did.

An addendum: as cool as understanding others is, it shouldn't totally excuse their behavior. If someone's a total prick to other people due to their MBTI type, they can choose to learn to not be a total prick to other people. If someone's disorganized and unplanned, they probably shouldn't deal with it by crying foul that the rest of the world is structured and planned and instead should do something about it.

It does help to recognize everyone's unique gifts, though! If being structured and routinized isn't your thing, cool; you can contribute by being spontaneous and good with multiple threads of thought. Just remember that learning how to be structured when you need to be will just make you all the more awesome.

I'm currently working on my attention to detail. It's an uphill battle, I assure you

That chalkboard guy Array Matthew_Z's Avatar

"Oh, so you're an INFP? No wonder my logic wasn't working for you." <bad_joke>

Anyways, it's encounters like that. MBTI really helps me know how to communicate with people.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

MBTI gives the illusion of understanding people.

And when we don't understand poeple we look for an explanation.

And any explanation is better than none.

However an illusion is very effective because it turns off the critical faculties.

And unfortunately MBTI is meant to turn off the critical faculties because MBTI is a scam.

And really the only question is how can such a transparent scam be so successful for so long across the entire world?
    There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on

And to understand the internet click on

Enter the Maelstrom with Marshall McLuhan by clicking on

Here is what I have gained:
    - a starting point for general thoughts about people and their differences
    - a reason to think more about the people around me and how they think
    - practice in overcoming confirmation bias
    - thoughts about stereotyping and human bias in general, the drive to classify, etc.

I don't think I've ever actually gained anything from the application of the system itself, though, besides verbal shortcutting in a conversation once every few days.

I'm starting to agree with Victor more and more.

I have to wonder whether some types, e.g. my own, get more application value out of MBTI than other types, e.g. INFJ, because we start out relatively clueless about people? I'm thinking that crudely applying the stereotypes serves us better than the oblivious projection of our own personality onto others that we had going before we learned about MBTI, whereas those who are naturally attuned to other people are better off continuing to rely on their individualized understanding of others.

Edit: Like bluebell said, basically.
    Last edited by Economica; 06-17-2009 at 01:48 AM.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to formulate a type of someone purely from observing them? I've been attempting this lately. Please give me hints.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

You're fired. Lol. Array Antimony's Avatar
    8w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    Does anyone have suggestions for how to formulate a type of someone purely from observing them? I've been attempting this lately. Please give me hints.

Well, introversion/extroversion is easy. Just observe the level of obnoxiousness/comfortability with people.

Intuitive/sensing has always been harder for me. I base it on say if I figured them to be ExTJ, I would look at them and figure out if they seemed more ENTJ or ESTJ. That kind of thing.

Thinking/feeling- People with feeling are more apt to display more emotions, obviously. Me as a thinker tends to show mostly enthusiasm or coldness or aloofness around people, but never fear, sadness, and mostly no anger. Just a cold stare if I am mad. Thinkers seem to want to have more control.

Judging/percieving- Ps seem to generally not care what they wear, or are disheveled. Generally. I dress nicely, but my hair resembles that of Einsteins. Js seem to be more apt to dress nicely, and be more polished.

All these things can vary, naturally, but that is the most basic way I see people, minus my intuition.

darkened dreams Array labyrinthine's Avatar
    4 sx/sp
    INFp None

I have a sliding scale of how much I value MBTI. In a one way it helps me understand people in observing their relationship to the system. At this point I see it as a system that is compelling and has something more to it than pure confirmation bias, but is also largely driven by bias. As a system there are issues with its validity in measurement. One primary reason is that it is self-reporting by nature which is not considered a way to establish validity in psychological research. The biggest problem related to that is the fact that it is not falsifiable. From what I understand there is not a way to identify and correct flaws in the system.

In exploring the system, I have learned about short-comings I have in understanding other people especially in terms of how they relate to this system. I forget how powerfully people internalize it as part of their core identity. It can create as strong a sense of insider and outsider as ethnicity and religion. What surprises me about it is that it accomplishes this without indoctrinating people through their developmental years. How can that happen? Then I have wondered if the fragmentation and eclecticism of our post-modern world leaves people with holes in their sense of self and community and so there is this inclination to latch on to systems that provide identity. In reading this site, I think there has been a thread for every type at this point expressing being misunderstood or hardship based on being type X. That sense of hardship, dismissal, or persecution as part of group identity is a core driving force in religions and might also provide strength to this system.

What also surprises me is that I would expect this process of internalizing MBTI as a self-identity would have the greatest impact on the people who test at "Feelers" in its system because those are the subjective thinkers and the system by its nature is subjective. Yet it is at least equally distributed between T's and F's for locking into the system as a measure of truth and self. This makes me wonder if the process of using "logic vs. empathy" or "objective vs. subjective" reasoning does not have a strong relationship to the way assumptions are selected on which the base the particular reasoning skills. And yet, reason by its nature defines its assumptions because it is the process that subjects assumptions to the null hypothesis and tests them for falsifiability.

Edit: In the end MBTI continues to teach me just how complex people really are.
    Last edited by labyrinthine; 06-17-2009 at 10:41 PM.
    The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas. H.G. WELLS
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN

If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY