• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ancestry, culture and type

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
Which school of "anthropology" did you attend? Himmler Intermediate?

you're just trying to troll around aren't you? it should be obvious by now that i had something different in mind than being a nazi.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
Sentura: Not sure where you got the "farther east = more native intuitives" idea from. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me... but data for you.

i'm not saying it's true, i haven't proven it in any way. but with the seemingly spiritual mentality far-eastern countries have had for millennia, i would be inclined to think that they realized (and practiced) their intuition long before western civilization.

Looking at Asian culture, there's a huge emphasis on SJ behaviour. Rules and traditions you must follow... within the family and within society. Whereas in America, the emphasis is freedom and individualism (SP). But that's just history influencing culture. It has very little to do with personality of individuals.

do you personally feel either of these cultures have influenced you? (i assume you live in the US, stop me if i am wrong)

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I get your rational about cultural influence, the rational east vs the holistic philosophies of the east and so on.
You can also consider the pictural analogic right brained written languages of the east vs the digital alphabetical code we use and so on.

And so on

The issue here is i doubt you've even considered most of the parameters. And if you did, please give them to us instead of giving us the whole 'i intuit something and being the smarter guy on earth i will waste people's time now'

I could also say that the 0 was mostly invented and used by the east, which is so left brained i can't begin to describe it.
I could say that most of the known inventors, philosophs, scientists that helped our 'thing\rational\left brain oriented society' to become itself were Ns.

So I fear you're just taking the arguments you like and not even thinking of the zillion other parameters, starting with the correlation between right and left brain and mbti functions.
i don't know, start by checking correlations between handedness and mbti functions if any.
Heard that there's more left handed people than used to be, but then again our society doesn't force left handed people to become right handed anymore.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Which school of "anthropology" did you attend? Himmler Intermediate?

I'm wondering exactly the same question.

When I see a thread called like that... "ancestry and race"... Sounds a lot like "Blut und Boden", or all these interesting theories about the "Genius loci" written by our dear count of Gobineau.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
you're just trying to troll around aren't you? it should be obvious by now that i had something different in mind than being a nazi.

Maybe we could wheel on a few national stereotypes - a mean kilted Scotsman or a African fellow with a top hat and a bone through his nose.

Because that, sir, is about how "scientific" your "point" (whatever that is) really is.

Once again, have a nice life.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
*nods to Hap*

Looking at Asian culture, there's a huge emphasis on SJ behaviour. Rules and traditions you must follow... within the family and within society. Whereas in America, the emphasis is freedom and individualism (SP). But that's just history influencing culture. It has very little to do with personality of individuals.

It may have an influence about the personality of individuals, but probably not as much as we'd like to think.

I heard the whole individualism thing started from ancient Greece, and spread from there?

Anyway, so the story goes, a lot of people who came to the southern British colonies were people looking for adventure and to make a profit because of the crops that were grown there, and were therefore more extroverted than your average Briton, which could have created a setup of extroversion/introversion that mirrors the Mediterranean versus northern Europe, which would reinforce the idea of hot/cold extroversion/introversion.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Does someone know the book "the tank that was made of aluminium" ?

Nobody did like the tank, cause he was a total fail, but in the end, he was the only one, who could move through the wall of fire and rescue everyone, cause he was the only one that wouldnt have melted in it...

That totally ruined my understanding of physics :D

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
I'm wondering exactly the same question.

When I see a thread called like that... "ancestry"... Sounds alot like "Blut und Boden", all these interesting theories about the "Genius loci" made by our dear count of Gobineau.

it's funny some people understand my message, whereas others just seek to doubt and judge it immediately.

i think the quote below illustrates well what i want from this thread. maybe if you weren't so stuck in your political correctness, we could actually have had a decent discussion about this, like some of the other members of this board have proven.

Originally Posted by juggernaut
Hey Sentura, is what you're really after cultural/sub-cultural difference? The existence of "race" is basically a fairy tale. We have genotypes and phenotypes, but the variation within a population (a culture) is much greater than variation between any two populations. Culture, is much more likely to affect personality type/development than anything in a person's physiological makeup.

yes. i should perhaps have used subculture instead of subgenre; but these days the semantic of subculture is completely different from what i ask of. i'm not asking whether you're "emo" or "punk" or "goth", if you catch my drift.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You must avoid getting into arguement with the americans Sentura. They are just mean old boys waiting for threads like this :)

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
You must avoid getting into arguement with the americans Sentura. They are just mean old boys waiting for threads like this :)

i don't get it. i just don't get how someone can be so touchy on the subject of culture. but then again, wars have been fought for less.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
and can everybody stop being an emo about racism and so on, those posts just polute the thread and make it hard to read. We get it, your fragile, keep walking.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
God dammit. francisco franco would have been assassinated long before he died of natural causes. The reason he wasn't assassinated before his natural death is because we are very bad shots and WE know it. Known it all along. Thus resorting to gorilla tactics. We are the inventors of such tactics. Been using them since time began to preserve language and culture ONLY. Not race. In our language there is no word for specific races. There are only borrowings. This MAY only prove S and N. i can't think of any I/E, F/T or P/J. We never believed in that idiotic idea of lining up and firing or charging when the command was givin either. Maybe because we were too busy just tryin to cultivate a crop.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't think many cultures would have survived very long if they were mostly N.

No offense to Ns. Just sayin'.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
I don't think many cultures would have survived very long if they were mostly N.

No offense to Ns. Just sayin'.

i ponder if it there have been recorded events of mostly N and mostly S cultures that may have lived in symbiosis. i mean, it wouldn't be that far fetched - after all, a tribe would always protect the village elders... right?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
it's funny some people understand my message, whereas others just seek to doubt and judge it immediately.

i think the quote below illustrates well what i want from this thread. maybe if you weren't so stuck in your political correctness, we could actually have had a decent discussion about this, like some of the other members of this board have proven.

It's not a question of "political correctness", and furthermore it's rather a lame alibi.

It's not even a question of trolling, it's rather a question of references, and how you define the MBTI system as a whole.

---

Why should I answer to a thread that assumes there is a direct causality effect between my ancestry, my "race" and my possible type?

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
It's funny, because it's a very good question that gives me an opportunity to debunk the old adagio of "people from the south (or northe, given the equator as line of inversion) are more extroverted because it's warm". The climate of southern China is warmer all-year round (beijing and hong-kong/macau are only equal in the summer in terms of avg temperature, in the winter beijing hovers around -5/0 while hk/macau hovers around 15/20) and wetter/more humid than the one of northern China, yet Northern Chinese are - in their own culture - stereotypied as being much more passionate than the Southern.

by being passionate do you mean they would be more extroverted, or are you pointing to a difference in the P/J dichotomy?