User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 112

  1. #71
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    My dear Eck: Do you really think it's a question of being an "emo" or not here?

    Besides, so far, the purpose of this thread has been criticized by NTs only. Interesting point, isn't it?
    I just had to use a strong word so people would maybe notice I actually said something since most of the thread is a back and forth rock throwing competition. And I did notice the NT thing, it's more about intellectual terror\territorialism if you will than anything else. Meaning we consider bad rationals to be unworthy and fun to set on fire because it's right up our alley.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  2. #72
    Phoenix Incarnate Sentura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The thing I've noticed though is that spiritual influence (as in, religion and spirituality) seem to be opposing cultural values in both the east and west. How do we reconcile this?
    i'm not sure i understand your question..

    native american culture would seem to incorporate some of the same spiritual beliefs as eastern culture, like the notion of reincarnation.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

    ...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    i based it on the theory that the earliest sapient humans came from india, as well as the spiritual influences that far-eastern countries have had. i guess you could make a point about having the same in the far-west culture, if you go by nativity.
    Just a quick question, on what are you basing "sapience"? Which species are using? The oldest hominid remains did not come from India. The oldest anatomically modern human remains were found in Ethiopia.

  4. #74
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    i'm not sure i understand your question..

    native american culture would seem to incorporate some of the same spiritual beliefs as eastern culture, like the notion of reincarnation.
    I mean that in Eastern religions it's generally internal, while in Western it's generally external and very community-oriented.


    However Western culture emphasizes individualism while Eastern emphasizes the good of the group.

    You see what I mean?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  5. #75
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    i'm not sure i understand your question..

    native american culture would seem to incorporate some of the same spiritual beliefs as eastern culture, like the notion of reincarnation.
    Here you seem to assume that Native American culture has a real bearing on present-day United States, but it does not. The culture in the US is much more influenced by the British than by Native Americans, and has been for several centuries. If I had to throw a label on Native American culture I would call it NF, whereas most Americans these days are SJs/SPs. Again, that's CULTURAL, not racial.

    The reason why people are irritated with this thread is because basing anything on race is pseudo-science that has a greater place in the narcissistic ramblings of Mein Kampf than a rational discussion in 2009.

  6. #76
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    The big issue with taking bits and pieces of cultures is not only that there's just too much parameters but also that, you can interpret it both ways.
    For example
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    native american culture would seem to incorporate some of the same spiritual beliefs as eastern culture, like the notion of reincarnation.
    What about spirituality and beliefs in reincarnation, we could say it's not rational\left brained logics, but then you can see that empirically primitive people did indeed see that everything was going through cycles in their lives, so if they rationaly applied this logic to their own selves. We have a natural instinctual belief that our mind are somewhat different of our body because of our ability for metacognition.
    So using analogical thinking and infering some a man could easily start seeing the ressurection of his own spirit-object into a new body-object as we don't really see the two to be ultimately one thing.

    So it could both be called 'right brained holistic 'everything-is-tied-together' thinking OR 'left handed empirical, object based rational thinking'.

    it's both, we have two brains and use boths, and you can't start connecting that to mbti before you understand what sorts of parameter influence the way data will be analysed within the brain. Which we don't yet. And mbti isn't a scientifically proven theory, it's a vaguely empirical best-fit-is-your-fit not scientificaly tested or biologicaly supported theory.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  7. #77
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Just a quick question, on what are you basing "sapience"? Which species are using? The oldest hominid remains did not come from India. The oldest anatomically modern human remains were found in Ethiopia.
    It's funny, because now in Ethiopia they have some problems descending from the fact that they're the birthplace of mankind; for example, there are a lot of cultures that have evolved in parallel, with completely different language and traditions, that now find themselves united under the same flag. There are more than 80 different languages spoken there, most of them (quite incredibly) NOT mutually intelligibile O_o
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  8. #78
    Phoenix Incarnate Sentura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Here you seem to assume that Native American culture has a real bearing on present-day United States, but it does not. The culture in the US is much more influenced by the British than by Native Americans, and has been for several centuries. If I had to throw a label on Native American culture I would call it NF, whereas most Americans these days are SJs/SPs. Again, that's CULTURAL, not racial.
    i'm not talking about present day american culture. i am talking about the culture of native americans (north, south, middle) versus those of eastern cultures.

    The reason why people are irritated with this thread is because basing anything on race is pseudo-science that has a greater place in the narcissistic ramblings of Mein Kampf than a rational discussion in 2009.
    point taken, but this was not the semantic i had wanted in the first place.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

    ...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

  9. #79
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    i'm not saying it's true, i haven't proven it in any way. but with the seemingly spiritual mentality far-eastern countries have had for millennia, i would be inclined to think that they realized (and practiced) their intuition long before western civilization.
    Maybe for a small number of highly publicized groups... Not sure where exactly you're referring to when you say "far-eastern countries", but for the most part of southern Asia cultures have a strong SJ-like mentality. Especially in rural areas. They need it for close family ties so they could survive in years of poor harvest.

    Nowadays though pretty much everywhere is getting "westernized". Traditions may go poof.

    do you personally feel either of these cultures have influenced you? (i assume you live in the US, stop me if i am wrong)
    I'm a Chinese Canadian. I referred to America loosely for North America...

    When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I think it's fair to say that if you're immersed in any culture, you're bound to be influenced by it. People aren't hermits. You adapt to fit in. Your original beliefs always color your thinking though.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It's funny, because now in Ethiopia they have some problems descending from the fact that they're the birthplace of mankind; for example, there are a lot of cultures that have evolved in parallel, with completely different language and traditions, that now find themselves united under the same flag. There are more than 80 different languages spoken there, most of them (quite incredibly) NOT mutually intelligibile O_o
    Exactly! That was why I asked to be honest (and why I made the previous book recommendation). I don't want to fuel the fire here, but I do think it's important to get the foundational information as straight as one can when taking a pet hypothesis out for a spin. There's certainly nothing wrong with asking what look like fucked up questions (though I do think this might have been a linguistic issue more than a genuine case of race racism from Sentura), provided one starts with all their ducks in a row.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2008, 05:45 PM
  2. Cultural Differences and TYPE
    By proteanmix in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 06:55 PM
  3. Counter Culture Icons and Type : Part 1 - Computer Geeks
    By ygolo in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 02:13 AM
  4. Time and Type (S/N)
    By rivercrow in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-18-2007, 01:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO