• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI and Cognitive Functions

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm kinda new to this; so, I don't really get them yet. But, upon doing a little bit of research, I notice that ISTJs, ESTJs, INFPs, and ENFPs have the same functions, only in a different order. So, what exactly does this mean, and what is the significance of the order? I'm particularly curious about this because I am and ISTJ and my husband is an INFP.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, Hi, RansomedbyFire. Welcome to MBTI Central.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, it means all their functions are focused in the same directions in terms of Introversion/Extraversion. We aren't sure theoretically what this means, but it could mean that despite having different personalities, these types understand each other on some level for this particular reason. I've noticed a lot of people seem to marry/befriend those who have their tertiary and inferior as dominant and auxiliary, but I'm not sure if that's significant.

It would be easier if we could confirm the functional orders somehow, but we're dealing with intangibles here, so nothing is certain. But if Jung's model is correct, those orders are accurate. We should probably do some kind of research to analyze the impact of having all functions in the same direction on the I/E axis, versus having them in different directions on that axis. Some might have already been done, but I'm not aware of it.

Anyway, this was very insightful, and may have given us a new perspective from which to analyze intertype relationships.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
the order in general

The most usual application I've seen for different orders of cognitive functions have been in recognizing the person's development points and the schedule. From what I remember, I've read the person's first function to be recognizable at an age of 5, the second at 15, then 30 and 50. People are said to trust their first developed functions completely, and to more or less use the other functions to support their primary functions. Other functions are said to become more independent when developed, i.e. used for their own sake rather than in a supporting role.

In one severe crisis several years ago, I noticed having relied on Ti when everything else had failed. I dont see those as my most proud moments, but realizing it work helped me to see what a minimally acceptable mode of living might be at any one time. I know that I can rely on that function to pay me bills, as much as I know to rely on Ne for my psychological comfort and well-being.

Fe doesn't work for me too well. Noticing it and accepting it theoretically with the development model, and practically with how I've experienced it, helps me not to over exert myself too much, and not to push myself to use that function too hard.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I've read that we all have an introverted and extroverted side. There are no introverts or extroverts. There are only the eight functions: the introverted and extraverted expressions of the four Jungian mental functions of Sensing, Intuition, Thinking, and Feeling. Since we all have all eight functions, we all have an introverted and extroverted nature. We all have a particular order of the 8 functions from most dominant and conscious to most inferior and unconscious.

Like Athenian said, INFPs and ISTJs have functions focused in the same direction on the I/E scale. INFPs have Fi Ne Si Te. FiSi make up their more private, inner-energized face, since both functions face inward, while NeTe is their more public, outer-energized face. Same goes for ISTJs. INFPs and ISTJs have different strengths but the same faces, so like Athenian said, they may understand each other pretty well, better than expected.

These two faces can sometimes contradict each other and pull types in two directions on a topic. In INFPs, their SiFi may lead them to take a more warm and understanding approach to the subject at hand, while their NeTe may lead them to take a more efficient, logical approach. The same goes with ISTJs, ENFPs and ESTJs, since all four have the same two faces of NeTe and SiFi. Inside every I/ENFP is an inner NT, inside every I/ESTJ is an inner SF.

You can read more about it here. It's a very informative site overall.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm kinda new to this; so, I don't really get them yet. But, upon doing a little bit of research, I notice that ISTJs, ESTJs, INFPs, and ENFPs have the same functions, only in a different order. So, what exactly does this mean, and what is the significance of the order? I'm particularly curious about this because I am and ISTJ and my husband is an INFP.

It depends on who you ask.

ISTJ has these functions (in this order) Si Te Fi Ne
INFP has these functions (in this order) Fi Ne Si Te

Everyone essentially agress that for an ISTJ, Si is the primary (strongest) function and that Te is the secondary (second strongest) function. Some will say that Fi and Ne are the third and forth strongest functions respectively. Others will say that Fi and Ne are the seventh and eighth strongest functions respectively (i.e. the two weakest).

I tend to believe the latter case. So what that means in the case of you and your husband is that your strengths are his weaknesses and vice versa. You both see the world in nearly opposite fashions. This is good in that you balance each other out quite nicely. This can be bad in that you each may have trouble understanding the other's perspective.

This is a website that I like which describes the eight cognitive functions in detail. Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
It depends on who you ask.

ISTJ has these functions (in this order) Si Te Fi Ne
INFP has these functions (in this order) Fi Ne Si Te

Eh gads I did not realise that I shared the same cognitive functions with my ex :doh: , ok I don't like that.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I was also new to this two years ago.
And like you I asked what this is all about.
The people gave me the answer from the book.

My advice is to take the test of the cognitive processes many times.
The result is not according to the book.

The Ns have a tendency to ignore the empiric approach.

It is the only way to test a theory. The ESTJ way, yes.

So what?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
There are still people in the intpc and in here who confuse the dichotomy of the subconscious/conscious paradigm with the declension order.

The tip of the iceberg theory.