• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Impression of Sensors: On here vs IRL

illume

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
I am going to extrapolate and say smarter, because I will definitely say I think the sensors on this forum are much more inquisitive minded than any of the sensors or intuitives I know. And to me, inquisitiveness = intelligence. None of the people I know have any interest in MBTI at all! It absolutely dumbfounds me........I can sort of understand the lack or interest in the S types, but the N's??

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
So are you implying N's are smarter than S's?

Not exactly. Each individual has their own intelligence, and there is a large overlap. The best way of putting it is that there are very few low-IQ Ns. I'll add that as a result of using only the top 25% of the population that test along this axis, you also get a lot of... less balanced... individuals. Think of it as being divided into 4 segments of the population. Extreme Ss that everyone finds annoying here? Yah. That's what Ns are, on the other side of the spectrum.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Not exactly. Each individual has their own intelligence, and there is a large overlap. The best way of putting it is that there are very few low-IQ Ns. I'll add that as a result of using only the top 25% of the population that test along this axis, you also get a lot of... less balanced... individuals. Think of it as being divided into 4 segments of the population. Extreme Ss that everyone finds annoying here? Yah. That's what Ns are, on the other side of the spectrum.

Alright. So I'm trying to understand here...

You said it's like there are 4 segments of the human population, each being 25%. And the extreme S's are on the lowest 25% segment of this? And the N's are the highest 25%?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well, because in real life there is very little filter as to who you meet, I'd say the sensors I meet IRL are very different than the ones I meet on TypeC, well, because the ones I meet on TypeC were attracted to TypeC, and the vast majority of sensors probably wouldn't be. o_o

The sort of friends I make online are usually pretty different than the types of friends I make in real life, so there's that bias, too.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Alright. So I'm trying to understand here...

You said it's like there are 4 segments of the human population, each being 25%. And the extreme S's are on the lowest 25% segment of this? And the N's are the highest 25%?

Well... this is getting farther and farther from MBTI... MBTI believes that there is a core function - you either have a preference for it (dominance) or not. The test itself is only testing that, and the percentage numbers it gives are really suppose to be confidence levels in the outcome.

But, no matter how you want to put it, those that test on one spectrum (say, top 25%) end up as N... since only 25% of the population tests as N. And another part will end up on the other side of the spectrum. Intrinsic or not, these are the two populations that express it strongly, one way or another.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've read that Intuitives do better in general on IQ tests, simply because apparently we don't need to be so sure of ourselves, thus taking less time. I dunno. It was pretty unclear, but yeah.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think what ptgatsby is trying to say is this:

less intelligent SSSSS SNSSS SSNSS SNSNS SSNNS SNSNN more intelligent

with bold signifying particularly strong-preferenced people. Or something.

I'm really just talking out of my ass here.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think of it like a pie, cut into quarters (temperaments) the really extreme members are out on the crust but the majority of people are towards the centre, this is part of why typing people is difficult, most people have more balance than mbti gives them credit for. I think when we compare ourselves to the other temperaments, we mostly see the crust, so our intrepretation of what it means to be that type is warped and more extreme than it probably should be.

Mmmmm pie.

wolfy

awsm
We all have a common interest in Psychology. Having an interest in an abstract topic like psychology brings the sensors here to the middle ground.

I think if you were to type a lot of the sensors here you'd type them as N.

Interest in psychology. N
Interest in MBTI. N

wolfy

awsm
I think of it like a pie, cut into quarters (temperaments) the really extreme members are out on the crust but the majority of people are towards the centre, this is part of why typing people is difficult, most people have more balance than mbti gives them credit for. I think when we compare ourselves to the other temperaments, we mostly see the crust, so our intrepretation of what it means to be that type is warped and more extreme than it probably should be.

Mmmmm pie.

Your pie analogy makes my mouth water. Steak and Cheese please.

The problem is people have more balance, like you said. Then in order to make a system you need clearly defined edges, otherwise you have nothing.
So you make the categories and in order to describe and differentiate you go out to the edges. But the truth is more complicated, as you are well aware.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
i honestly don't think about this sort of thing while out and about. i don't type anybody or anything but i am aware of a few people that are close to me that are sensors and the difference between them and you guys is that you guys seem interested in this sort of thing and seem willing to listen to another perspective. they seem to only be aware of their own reality.

Or perhaps a Sensor here has been through experiences that made an appreciation for intuition part of their own reality.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i honestly don't think about this sort of thing while out and about. i don't type anybody or anything but i am aware of a few people that are close to me that are sensors and the difference between them and you guys is that you guys seem interested in this sort of thing and seem willing to listen to another perspective. they seem to only be aware of their own reality.

this is a good point, and i'm beginning to understand why. it would seem that S's aren't aware that there may be any greater reality (for lack of better wording) than their own. once exposed to the notion that there is something greater in a familiar fashion, they suddenly may accept the differences.

i made a graph about this at one point, and what you said above fits it perfectly.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think anyone on this forum is typical of people I meet in real life, simply because no one I know in real life seems interested in a forum like this.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Moved from Popular Culture and Type.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
this is a good point, and i'm beginning to understand why. it would seem that S's aren't aware that there may be any greater reality (for lack of better wording) than their own. once exposed to the notion that there is something greater in a familiar fashion, they suddenly may accept the differences.

i made a graph about this at one point, and what you said above fits it perfectly.

I'd assume it's easier for IS's to grasp, but harder for ES's. A lot of ES types apparently don't like getting into discussions about something not tangible or right in front of them.