• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Impression of Sensors: On here vs IRL

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Do you see the Sensors on this forum as typical of the ones you know in real life or are we different in some ways, have you been surprised or had to change your expectations about sensors since frequenting this forum?

Edit: I'm not sure why I put this in popular culture and type. :doh:
Could it be moved? :D

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
If you really are a Sensor, my dear Quinlan, you're one of the wittiest and funniest I've ever met. :hug:

This is also my way to say that, more seriously, I consider individuals first, and that the opposition between Sensing/iNtuition is only a concept that comes far, far after that.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i'd like to think that sensors here are better off than those that aren't. those that i have seen have displayed little sensotard behavior honestly, and it just seems that sensors get along well with intuits over this. i wish it was the same for life.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Do you see the Sensors on this forum as typical of the ones you know in real life

Hell no. The sensors I see (read as: pay notice to) in my classes are stupid fucking punks, and the ones i see at jobs/shops around here are crude, ignorant and just sleezy. I find the sensors online (and particularly here) to be just..... awesome all around, and dont seem to have the "flaws" many sensors bear IRL

prolly just self-selection methods pertaining to internet use, really. Computer illiteracy correlates with low/poor education, afterall

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
If you really are a Sensor, my dear Quinlan, you're one of the wittiest and funniest I've ever met. :hug:

Thanks a lot Blackmail, not sure what I did to deserve that but cheers. :D

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
They're the same here as they are in real life.

Hell no. The sensors I see (read as: pay notice to) in my classes are stupid fucking punks, and the ones i see at jobs/shops around here are crude, ignorant and just sleezy. I find the sensors online (and particularly here) to be just..... awesome all around, and dont seem to have the "flaws" many sensors bear IRL

prolly just self-selection methods pertaining to internet use, really. Computer illiteracy correlates with low/poor education, afterall

:huh: What kind of sensors do you meet, or rather, how do you know they're sensors?

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9

it may also be because you lack the dimension that you would see of them in life. for all you know, these could be the exact same punks and store clerks... ;)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Perhaps you see the worst of us because they offer a clearer point of difference?

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
They're the same here as they are in real life.

I doubt that, just because those online are different than the general population... even if the gap is shrinking.

My honest non-PC thought on this is that the Ss here are smarter than average (in accordance with the general population... which is S <_<), and the Ns are... how do I say... larger time wasters...? Less driven? More escapist, that's it.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
I'm not getting into a debate about it, guys; you wanted my opinion of irl sensors vs on here and you got it. ptgatsby also hits the other side of the coin apart from education: the intelligence factor.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Here's one 'Sensor' I wish I knew in person.

:D I have to ask if the ' ' around sensor means you disagree with the labels as a whole, or question my type? ;) (I jest, I jest. I know it's both :D )

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm not getting into a debate about it; you wanted my opinion of irl sensors vs on here and you got it. ptgatsby also hits the other side of the coin apart from education: the intelligence factor.

I don't think anyone is debating yet.

I wonder if the "SPs" you pay notice to are actually just Se doms with very little functional development and perhaps the SJs you notice are Si doms with very little functional development. You might be ignoring the sensors with good functional development or maybe including them as intuitives.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
I don't think anyone is debating yet.

I wonder if the "SPs" you pay notice to are actually just Se doms with very little functional development and perhaps the SJs you notice are Si doms with very little functional development. You might be ignoring the sensors with good functional development or maybe including them as intuitives.

yes, i took that into consideration. I put "pay notice to", because obviously, the obnoxious sensors are going to outshine the well-behaved ones. But it's still something I notice and I bet others do as well. You reach into this observational bias when you ask the question you did in the OP :)

Snow Turtle

There's probably an element of truth on the idea that internet users in general are likely to be more tech/science orientated, unless they use the internet solely for facebook and msn. But usually I apply this bias to gamers as well, or people that purposely try to be different (even if some people find that a stupid position to hold.)

Having said that I don't find my friends in real life that different from some of the sensors I find here, but that might be because I'm so used to interacting the others in RL that there doesn't seem to be any real obvious transition or difference. It's not like my real life friends are more stupid.

The sensing population is large. There's going to be plenty of sensors and even ISFJs that I will probably end up clashing with. Before I discovered MBTI I'd believe that there are people out there who were mean and shallow, with little regard for depth, honesty or kindness. People who followed group behaviour even though it wasn't exactly healthy. I have to admit I unfortunately chalked a lot of this down to hedonistic behaviour, and err I'll also admit that I have some bias towards SPs in general but I realise it's stupid thinking.

Thankfully I believe the majority of people are nice people :D

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i honestly don't think about this sort of thing while out and about. i don't type anybody or anything but i am aware of a few people that are close to me that are sensors and the difference between them and you guys is that you guys seem interested in this sort of thing and seem willing to listen to another perspective. they seem to only be aware of their own reality.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I doubt that, just because those online are different than the general population... even if the gap is shrinking.

My honest non-PC thought on this is that the Ss here are smarter than average (in accordance with the general population... which is S <_<), and the Ns are... how do I say... larger time wasters...? Less driven? More escapist, that's it.

So are you implying N's are smarter than S's? I don't think that the S's I know in real life are any dumber than the ones here. Not sure about the N's, I don't know too many N's irl.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I do think the sensors on this site tend to be smarter than the average sensor, but I don't think that goes for all internet vs. non-internet users, because Myspace and Facebook aren't exactly flooding with geniuses.

I also think this site favors N, and especially INXX, communication. So the sensor might have a harder time getting translated, and they might not have the inclination to delve as deep into topics as the intuitives here like to. I think they are more likely to jump ship early on when things get too abstract.