• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extroverts:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Explain this background noise, thing. How is it not a distraction, and does really help you focus more? I'm truly curious, I want to understand, how can music or a show in the background not be a distraction. What's the difference to you between background noise and an actual distraction?

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
Explain this background noise, thing. How is it not a distraction, and does really help you focus more? I'm truly curious, I want to understand, how can music or a show in the background not be a distraction. What's the difference to you between background noise and an actual distraction?

the difference is monotony, distance and volume. to not pay attention to the background hysteria (!), i need monotone ambiance, whether it is silent or loud. in the same way i sometimes don't like silence because of the emphasis on sudden sounds that would break my concentration. example: the gentle humming of my computer does not bother me because it hums the same thing, with a certain pitch at a certain interval. in the same way i can sit at a cafe and not be bothered by the street sounds because they too are large monotonous.

i guess you could say between the three attributes of monotony, distance and volume, you could always just pick two to not break concentration:
- monotony at a high volume or at any distance wouldn't bother me.
- high volume at a distance wouldn't bother me, nor would high volume sounds in monotony bother me.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

It depends on the situation and the kind of background noise. Conversations can be distracting as I tend to focus on the people and not the work. TV works in the same way - very distracting.

However, if I have classical music, soothing music without lyrics and/or lyrics I know very well or don't understand, I find this helps me focus while working. Background music while I work out is also very invigorating.

Conflict is distracting and draining, though.

Constant background noise helps me focus, but interruptions that start/stop start/stop are really a pain in the ass (i.e.: you are teaching or studying, and someone always enters the room and interrupts your train of thought gahhhhH!!!!!!)

Hope this helps.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I bear this too as an introvert; I can't fall asleep unless there's a fan or something humming. I also NEED to listen to music when studying, or my mind wanders.

however, with me its an ADHD-inattentive thing imo, not a type thing

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I can't stand background noise, and I thought it be more of something extroverts would like then introverts.I can't work unless I have complete silence, maybe it's just how I am, maybe most people need background noise, but background noise still distracts me to no end.

nor can I fall asleep, no matter how tired. My ideal sleeping enviroment is pitch dark and no noise whatsoever.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can't stand background noise, and I thought it be more of something extroverts would like then introverts.

It also depends on how much I have to focus. The more I have to focus, the less distraction I can tolerate.

For example, if I am ironing, I love to watch movies while doing it, as it makes it more enjoyable and the concentration factor is not very high. Same with other kinds of housework and cleaning. Audio books are another option.

If I am doing homework, I appreciate soothing music of some kind to help me focus, like a chant or something droning....Or classical music from the romantics, which tends to be more lively and upbeat or dramatic.

If I am studying or preparing, I would rather have classical music (Baroque especially, like Vivaldi was my favorite at university). This somehow stimulates my brain cells - helps me focus - just as good as coffee, really.

If however I'm practicing for an exam or trying to sleep, I often have to put ear plugs in my ears, or it ain't happening....

I cannot work out without LOUD STRONG music....eh, probably be deaf when I'm 70.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't like noise for the sake of noise and i'm easily distracted. i can't actually focus much if something is making a noise that demands my attention.

my introvert sister has the tv on ALL day for the noise. i think it's really odd. i have music on a lot but if i had to focus i would change it to something that didn't compete for attention.

sculpting

I like working in really crowded places with lots of people but I dont actually interact with them.

It's like Ne needs something to teeth on so I can actually focus with the rest of my brain.

However it has to be random-it cant have patterns. Like those ocean wave CDs drive me insane as the waves have a pattern and it starts drilling into my brain. Random, scatteretd noise is okay.

My 13 year old son is very ADHD but does not take meds. He finds listening to music helps him focus to finish his homework.

Unique

I can't stand background noise, and I thought it be more of something extroverts would like then introverts.I can't work unless I have complete silence, maybe it's just how I am, maybe most people need background noise, but background noise still distracts me to no end.

nor can I fall asleep, no matter how tired. My ideal sleeping enviroment is pitch dark and no noise whatsoever.

It's not specific to extraverts =\

I hate background noise when I'm trying to concentrate

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not specific to extraverts =\

I hate background noise when I'm trying to concentrate

+1

My Father always had the damn television on when I was a kid. I could hear it through the A/C ducts/vents of the house when I was doing my homework. It really used to drive me batshit. :angry:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm good either way. As a baby and little child, I had to sleep in the presence of background noise all the time. As and adult, I now find it comforting as long as it remains background noise.