User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Extroverts:

MBTI
    yupp

Default Extroverts:

Explain this background noise, thing. How is it not a distraction, and does really help you focus more? I'm truly curious, I want to understand, how can music or a show in the background not be a distraction. What's the difference to you between background noise and an actual distraction?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Explain this background noise, thing. How is it not a distraction, and does really help you focus more? I'm truly curious, I want to understand, how can music or a show in the background not be a distraction. What's the difference to you between background noise and an actual distraction?
    the difference is monotony, distance and volume. to not pay attention to the background hysteria (!), i need monotone ambiance, whether it is silent or loud. in the same way i sometimes don't like silence because of the emphasis on sudden sounds that would break my concentration. example: the gentle humming of my computer does not bother me because it hums the same thing, with a certain pitch at a certain interval. in the same way i can sit at a cafe and not be bothered by the street sounds because they too are large monotonous.

i guess you could say between the three attributes of monotony, distance and volume, you could always just pick two to not break concentration:
    - monotony at a high volume or at any distance wouldn't bother me.
    - high volume at a distance wouldn't bother me, nor would high volume sounds in monotony bother me.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I like background noise too. I'm an introvert. Explain.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

It depends on the situation and the kind of background noise. Conversations can be distracting as I tend to focus on the people and not the work. TV works in the same way - very distracting.

However, if I have classical music, soothing music without lyrics and/or lyrics I know very well or don't understand, I find this helps me focus while working. Background music while I work out is also very invigorating.

Conflict is distracting and draining, though.

Constant background noise helps me focus, but interruptions that start/stop start/stop are really a pain in the ass (i.e.: you are teaching or studying, and someone always enters the room and interrupts your train of thought gahhhhH!!!!!!)

Hope this helps.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I bear this too as an introvert; I can't fall asleep unless there's a fan or something humming. I also NEED to listen to music when studying, or my mind wanders.

however, with me its an ADHD-inattentive thing imo, not a type thing

MBTI
    yupp

I can't stand background noise, and I thought it be more of something extroverts would like then introverts.I can't work unless I have complete silence, maybe it's just how I am, maybe most people need background noise, but background noise still distracts me to no end.

nor can I fall asleep, no matter how tired. My ideal sleeping enviroment is pitch dark and no noise whatsoever.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I can't stand background noise, and I thought it be more of something extroverts would like then introverts.
    It also depends on how much I have to focus. The more I have to focus, the less distraction I can tolerate.

For example, if I am ironing, I love to watch movies while doing it, as it makes it more enjoyable and the concentration factor is not very high. Same with other kinds of housework and cleaning. Audio books are another option.

If I am doing homework, I appreciate soothing music of some kind to help me focus, like a chant or something droning....Or classical music from the romantics, which tends to be more lively and upbeat or dramatic.

If I am studying or preparing, I would rather have classical music (Baroque especially, like Vivaldi was my favorite at university). This somehow stimulates my brain cells - helps me focus - just as good as coffee, really.

If however I'm practicing for an exam or trying to sleep, I often have to put ear plugs in my ears, or it ain't happening....

I cannot work out without LOUD STRONG music....eh, probably be deaf when I'm 70.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i don't like noise for the sake of noise and i'm easily distracted. i can't actually focus much if something is making a noise that demands my attention.

my introvert sister has the tv on ALL day for the noise. i think it's really odd. i have music on a lot but if i had to focus i would change it to something that didn't compete for attention.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

I like working in really crowded places with lots of people but I dont actually interact with them.

It's like Ne needs something to teeth on so I can actually focus with the rest of my brain.

However it has to be random-it cant have patterns. Like those ocean wave CDs drive me insane as the waves have a pattern and it starts drilling into my brain. Random, scatteretd noise is okay.

My 13 year old son is very ADHD but does not take meds. He finds listening to music helps him focus to finish his homework.

I can't stand background noise, and I thought it be more of something extroverts would like then introverts.I can't work unless I have complete silence, maybe it's just how I am, maybe most people need background noise, but background noise still distracts me to no end.

nor can I fall asleep, no matter how tired. My ideal sleeping enviroment is pitch dark and no noise whatsoever.
    It's not specific to extraverts =\

I hate background noise when I'm trying to concentrate