• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cognitive functions vs. umm... the other thingy =)

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
When typing someone, do you more compare E vs I, F vs T, etc., do you go by the cognitive fuctions, or both? Which would you say is more reliable? I've noticed a pattern in online test taking... with functions, I come out as ISFP, but with simple J vs P test, or whatever, I get ISTP. Why is that? Is it just because my F and T are very close?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I actually use both. I first see if I can identify what letter they are in each of the four MBTI categories (E vs. I, N vs. S, F vs. T, J vs. P). If I can't get one or two of these categories down, then I refer to the cognitive functions to help me out - I'll see which cognitive functions are highest for a person. Then I can usually narrow down their type.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The other thing would be dichotomies. ;)

I used to rely on dichotomies, and still fall back on them if I can't see the functions in a person. But lately I've found that functions are more helpful in determining the personality.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dichotomies, temperaments, Interaction Styles, cognitive processes. You get an idea of what fits from each, and then zero in on the best fit type. (Probably good, and sometimes even suggested to do it in that order, as that is starting from the more simple to the more complex.

/DG/

Ahhh! Dichotomies!! Thanks guys. :) Yeah, I'm just torn between Fi and Ti at the momment. :(

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I USED to go down the variables one by one like you describe.... it worked out HORRIBLY for me.

Now I don't do anything. TRYING to type someone just forces you to make presumptuous guesses that cloud your future judgements. Just make no assumptions and LET a person's collective, cohesive type land in your lap =)

That's what I do, anyways, but I'm a Ne-cokehead and been looking into this crap for 2 years now, so i don't have to try to use anything anymore :D

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I start with dichotomies.
I don't usually get all four down unless the person acts pretty stereotypical of a type. I get definates based on that. So then I get it down to something like.

"Inxx- i'm thinking maybe INTP but it could be any of the four IN."
I think of all four, which one makes the most sense, then try to observe for functions and make changes as necissary. :)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why is that? Is it just because my F and T are very close?

No, you're just broken.

But seriously- I think this is pretty common.
At that point you just have to read the descriptions and decide for yourself what your type is. There is a lot of variability with the tests.

/DG/

No, you're just broken.

Haha. :cheese:

shortnsweet said:
But seriously- I think this is pretty common.
At that point you just have to read the descriptions and decide for yourself what your type is. There is a lot of variability with the tests.

It's just so confusing. I read the descriptions, and I seem to identify with Fi more than Ti, but looking at the dichotomies, I think I use T to interact more than F.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's just so confusing. I read the descriptions, and I seem to identify with Fi more than Ti, but looking at the dichotomies, I think I use T to interact more than F.

That makes perfect sense in function terms, actually.

Fi, Se, Ni, Te

Your Thinking is extraverted, so it appears more in interaction than your Introverted Feeling.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, you read the cognitive function descriptions- but what about the actual type descriptions? Which ones end up closest to how you act?

/DG/

Well, upon reading the two types I find them to be similar. The only difference between the two is that ISTPs love logic and facts, so do I, but I don't go as far as to not factor in other peoples' feelings and how things will effect them. I don't ignore my feelings like an ISTP tends to do, I'm very well aware of them. There are things I disagree with with the ISFP description also, but I have a feeling that I'm ISFP.

Athenian200 said:

Fi, Se, Ni, Te

Your Thinking is extraverted, so it appears more in interaction than your Introverted Feeling.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Athenian200, I can't believe I missed that. :doh: My inferior function is probably very well developed, making me seem more like a T at times.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I start with dichotomies.
I don't usually get all four down unless the person acts pretty stereotypical of a type. I get definates based on that. So then I get it down to something like.

"Inxx- i'm thinking maybe INTP but it could be any of the four IN."
I think of all four, which one makes the most sense, then try to observe for functions and make changes as necissary. :)

see, if you do that, then you run the risk of Applying a type to a person that FITS THEM and describes them, but isn't their type :) Someone could EASILY type me as INFJ and have it fit in everyway, but it's still wrong.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I too have gotten confused about whether I'm INTP, but it's just kinda silly. You're a feeler because that's how you are on the inside, how you act doesn't determine which dichotomy you prefer. My Te is well developed as well, so it's odd for me too.

Snow Turtle

Ahhh! Dichotomies!! Thanks guys. :) Yeah, I'm just torn between Fi and Ti at the momment. :(

Ever written out your feelings on notepad before?
What does it look like to you? More focus on Ti or Fi. (They will both be there)

Fi, Se, Ni, Te

Wouldn't inferior function usually manifest itself in extremely negative terms?
Man. I can't imagine a well developed inferior as I've had little luck with Ne. It's possible that disney utilises Ti though, no?

But I don't hold function order rigidly. Top 2, and inferior are the only one I concern myself with. Everything else is fluid is somewhat fluid.

I too have gotten confused about whether I'm INTP, but it's just kinda silly. You're a feeler because that's how you are on the inside, how you act doesn't determine which dichotomy you prefer. My Te is well developed as well, so it's odd for me too.

Guess it's possible. Time for system reboot. xD

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wouldn't inferior function usually manifest itself in extremely negative terms?
Man. I can't imagine a well developed inferior as I've had little luck with Ne. It's possible that disney utilises Ti though, no?

But I don't hold function order rigidly. Top 2, and inferior are the only one I concern myself with. Everything else is fluid is somewhat fluid.

This may or may not be biased, but I think that this has to do with society's expectations and what people generally need to get along in life. An inferior Te will need to be developed more than an inferior Ne. An ISJ or ESP could honestly life their entire life without using intuition extensively (emphasis on extensively, they will still have to use it in some ways) and do fine. I've noticed this especially in the ISJs, they can totally be out of touch with Ne and still be great human beings. An IFP out of touch with Te would be dysfunctional and would have a lot of problems in their life due to that.

Some people's inferiors get developed faster than other people's. I really have no idea why, it would be interesting if we could get an actual answer. This just may very well be her case. That could be me only explanation along with my above paragraph.

Snow Turtle

This may or may not be biased, but I think that this has to do with society's expectations and what people generally need to get along in life. An inferior Te will need to be developed more than an inferior Ne. An ISJ or ESP could honestly life their entire life without using intuition extensively (emphasis on extensively, they will still have to use it in some ways) and do fine. I've noticed this especially in the ISJs, they can totally be out of touch with Ne and still be great human beings. An IFP out of touch with Te would be dysfunctional and would have a lot of problems in their life due to that.

Some people's inferiors get developed faster than other people's. I really have no idea why, it would be interesting if we could get an actual answer. This just may very well be her case. That could be me only explanation along with my above paragraph.

That pretty sound reasoning. :headphne:

I'm a little curious now BlackCat. What function order would you identify with if you could select them? Is Te more developed than Si, or have you rounded them all off pretty well? (Edit: Oh just needed to look in your profile - Still is that what you agree with? xD)

What do you think of Ti as a function usage? You said that others always type you as an INTP because you sometimes appear to be rather 'thinking' orientated but that doesn't neccessary mean you are a T. We've had this conversation before but I never asked that question.

I suppose the only question that remains: Does Te usually work in a healthy manner for you, how prone are you to using it negatively? Then again... I can end up using Ti negatively but I'm pretty good with it as well. Not sure what sort of information this question gives exactly. Questioning whether development is from usage or whether it was healthy I suppose...

G

garbage

Whichever's more apparent. Some people are absolutely dominated by some function (for good or for bad); all that's left then is to figure out the other function.

In most cases, I use temperament (NT/NF/SP/SJ) first. Often, I'm satisfied with 'classifying' solely by temperament.