User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFj

Default Could someone explain the functions (dominant, auxilary...) to me?

I have been reading up on it but it still seems like I'm not getting it. The more you dumb it down, the more I would appreciate it. THANKS!
    E - 79% I - 21%
    S - 53% N - 47%
    T - 32% F - 68%
    J - 32% P - 68%

ESFP

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

it basically explains with which functions you think. dominant is your first choice; your most developed function, which requires the least energy for you to use. auxiliary is your second which requires more energy, but is still well developed. tertiary functions have moderate costs, and aren't as well developed, whereas inferior have high energy costs and are not very well developed.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Here's my interpretation, which may or may not piss off the Function purists. Functions are like your mental 'toolset'. MBTI tries to predict your toolset order, but you may or may not fit the mold.

ESFP (Se Fi Te Ni)

Primary: This is how you work. It's what you were made to do, and the other functions either support or conflict with it.
    Se - Extroverted Sensing: You live to experience things with your 5 senses. Craves awareness and interaction with your environment/surroundings.

Secondary: The method in which you execute your primary function. It gives you direction and feeds into the primary function.
    Fi - Introverted feeling. You direct your desire for sensory input through an internal value set. It's subjective and personal, which focuses your Se towards people and (usually) harmony.

Tertiary: Sometimes called the 'Relief function', because when our primary function isn't appropriate it's how we introvert/extrovert with the real world.
    Te - Extroverted thinking: Gathering information, creating plans, developing checklists. Accumulate empirical, objective data in order to best utilize and carry out the desires of Se/Fi.

Inferior: Sometimes called the "shadow" function. It tends to be an 'all or nothing' function, like wielding an overweight sledgehammer.
    Ni - Introverted Intuition: The search for patterns and symbols. Looking for the deeper meaning in things. Epiphanies. 'Knowing' the correct answer from what can seem to be out of nowhere.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by KarenParker View Post
    I have been reading up on it but it still seems like I'm not getting it. The more you dumb it down, the more I would appreciate it. THANKS!
    You're quite sanguine, aren't you?

Anyway, about the functions. Picture an organization. The dominant function is like the big boss sitting in his office. Makes all the major decisions, sets the direction and tone for everyone else, etc.

The auxiliary function is like the bosses secretary. She handles all requests to see him, influences his first impression of people and things, and of course decides his schedule. She has the second most influence because of her advisory position, in other words.

The tertiary function is like the systems administrator. He has to go around keeping all the systems and processes running smoothly on a practical level, despite all the limitations imposed on him from above, and the incompetence of the users.

The inferior function is like the regular peons who do work. They get confused if you tell them to do anything that's not simple, and usually stop working and screw around if you don't keep an eye on them.

Does that make sense?

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    The tertiary function is like the systems administrator. He has to go around keeping all the systems and processes running smoothly on a practical level, despite all the limitations imposed on him from above, and the incompetence of the users.

The inferior function is like the regular peons who do work. They get confused if you tell them to do anything that's not simple, and usually stop working and screw around if you don't keep an eye on them.
    You know, I was originally going to go with some thing along these lines, and then I came across a problem: The ESTJ.

Their 3rd function is Ne, and their 4th function is Fi. I couldn't think of how Ne keeps Te and Si working smoothly on a practical level. Any ideas?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Their 3rd function is Ne, and their 4th function is Fi. I couldn't think of how Ne keeps Te and Si working smoothly on a practical level. Any ideas?
    Yes, actually. Ne has new ideas, so when what's known stops working, you can throw in a new idea to try and take care of the situation. So Ne keeps Te and Si from becoming an endless rut that leads nowhere due to changes happening around them.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Alright, I see what you meant now. Thanks!

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    You know, I was originally going to go with some thing along these lines, and then I came across a problem: The ESTJ.

Their 3rd function is Ne, and their 4th function is Fi.
    How do you know that?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

xXx in types basically is the universal language for "I am single, hit me"
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Be careful.

Functions are useful mainly for analyzing and understanding your own behavior.

In reality, most of your actions are probably caused by numerous functions acting in concert, and quite possibly other psychological forces that we don't understand or haven't mapped out properly.

So you can't really apply them to others much, since you don't really know what's going on beneath the surface.

But they're interesting to read about and speculate as to how they affect your own thoughts and attitudes.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?