First 234

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I think of MBTI as useful for examining your own internal processes but it's very limited when it comes to understanding and predicting behaviour because there are so many other factors outside of MBTI that influence and override natural behaviour. That's why I tend tend to be very cautious when typing people because I know that behaving like a certain type is different from being that type.
    I think socionics is much better for self analysis, but I agree otherwise.

It just seems to me that MBTI focuses more on behavior in it's profile/dichotomy/function descriptions while socionics focuses on information processing.
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

it should be noted that i didn't talk about function strength in my example, nor was such reference intended. it would be best explained as substitution between functions:

an ENTP would have:

Ne
    Ti
    Fe
    Si

whereas an ENFP would have

Ne
    Fi
    Te
    Si

for substitution, the auxiliary and tertiary function could be substituted for a different mindset, as you would have a switch. it would essentially mean that you could have two or more function orders completely independent of each other.

note that this is just one example of how it could happen. i personally keep an extremely open mind in regards to functions and their orders, as i don't think every function has a merit for existence.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

this thread has been seriously derailed.
    trying to argue my point and still stay on topic:

it seems to me that most J types have a clear cut idea of long term goals.
    It wouldn't make sense if a J type had Pe as one of it's top two functions(the most heavily used).
    Pe is associated with going with the flow of sensual or intuitive information. Not really having a clear cut idea of how they connect. For this reason P types are indecisive.

Js would not be decisive if Je and Pi weren't they're top two, and Ps wouldn't be as free spirited if not for Pe and Ti as their top two.

Uncertainty of J/P means you have no idea how you behave. Which doesn't make sense assuming that a person has actually tried with some effort to figure out how they behave. Behavior to me is associated with function order. If function order was not the way it is spelled out by the types you have a very confusing person.
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Azseroffs View Post
    this thread has been seriously derailed.
    trying to ague my point and still stay on topic:

it seems to me that most J types have a clear cut idea of long term goals.
    It wouldn't make sense if a J type had Pe as one of it's top two functions(the most heavily used).
    Pe is associated with going with the flow of sensual or intuitive information. Not really having a clear cut idea of how they connect. For this reason P types are indecisive.

Js would not be decisive if Je and Pi weren't they're top two, and Ps wouldn't be as free spirited if not for Pe and Ti as their top two.

Uncertainty of J/P means you have no idea how you behave. Which doesn't make sense assuming that a person has actually tried with some effort to figure out how they behave.
    I had an answer for you. The Reader's Digest Condensed Version is:

a) I think people can have both J and P tendencies.
    b) I don't believe J and P are contradictory.
    c) I think it's possible to be an X.
    d) I'm not an X.
    e) Uncertainty of J/P means you act differently in different circumstances 50/50 of the time.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Of course, all people have tendencies towards the opposite. But everyone has a preference as well.

J/P are not contradictory what so ever. As with all dichotomies, it isn't one or the other it is an in between.

For someone to be X they would have to be perfectly in the middle or bipolar.

Everyone resorts to their primary functions in dire situations, but everyone is capable of using whatever function. Everyone acts differently in different situations. Its when someone acts completely differently 50/50 of the time in similar situations that constitutes an X, and if that is the case, it is very likely that they have a personality disorder.
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    The thing is, it doesn't matter about the function strengths, just about their uses. I have a strong Te, but I am still an INFP. The order of the INFP makes sense to me, how each one fits in, etc. You're going to end up using Ti or Fi primarily. Functions can work together to imitate others, which may be why your Ti and Fi are so high.

Apparently from the books I've read Ti and Fi are in the same sections of the brain, making them impossible to use at the same time. If you're an ENTP your Fi simulation may come from the values that make the most sense to you, and having them incorporated as a fact within you (Ti). ENTPs, when they get in touch with Fe, will have empathy, and may as a result gain some values as to how people should be treated etc (I'm no expert on ENTPs, but you get my point). A lot of the time Ti is grossly misunderstood, as well as Fi. You may want to look up some definitions. Here is a great definition of Ti on the forum. http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post603900

If I went by what you're going by to determine that you're an ENXP, I'd be an XXXX, simply because I'm borderline on all preferences. It really just doesn't work that way. On the tests you've taken I score 0-10% on everything. That doesn't make me an XXXX.
    I posted in a thread a LONG time ago that I suspect that Ti and Fi are centered in the Dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortex while Te and Fe are centered in the Orbitofrontal and Ventromedial Prefrontal Cortex. Si and Ni are cented in the Temporal Association Cortex; and Se and Ne are centered in the Parietal Association Cortex
    Autistic INFP