User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default N's feeling pressured to act like S's?

I'm thinking of this because sometimes I feel that someone is an N but I have little information to back it up. They talk sensor things. Sometimes I think so based on their job, or general demeanor, or other random data. (Their shirt has a button missing or something . Kidding!!! ) Also, regarding "sensor bashing" a few on this forum mentioned that it may be because they are introverted intuitives living in a world of extraverted sensors and they want to blame things on them- or along the lines.

So what do you think?
    Do you N's feel pressure to act like S's in this S-focused world? How do you cope? If you do indeed try to hide your awesome N ness, how well do you do?
    And what would you tell us S's to do to make N's feel understood by us? (Without losing our sensorishness.)

I'm mildly expecting a lot of you to say, "no, I don't feel pressure." Since you already know about MBTI. Do you know any N's that seem to feel out of place?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

For me I try to "blend in" in a social situation if I'm not familiar with the people there. Gradually I'll let out more Nness, but until then the apparent S presence makes me adjust accordingly. I have no issue doing it, it's actually refreshing to not be so deep all of the time, and realizing that people are going to take things on a surface level in a social situation.

When people adjust to me I let out my Nness with my humor, my humor is eccentric and odd, and people tend to think it's hilarious. They seem to realize "this guy is different", but don't really care since they adjusted to me in the first place with how I acted at first.

I have plenty of sensor friends, I don't have a problem with them and they don't have a problem with me. I am borderline on all preferences including S/N, that may change my perspective.

That's how I do it, others are probably different. I hope that made sense.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

deleted

I think I know what you're talking about. From my experience, there are a lot of ENxPs who act like sensors even though they notice the same patterns I do and disregard detail. Maybe acting like a sensor is a harsh phrase, but they more live with a sensor crowd and have sensor friends, conform with these sensor friends, thus act like a sensor. It's fair to say ENxPs do this more, since they are the most popular N, members of their type can feel obligated to take after them, thus multiplying their attitudes. If an ENTJ were to do this, there would be less conformity not because of less members of this personality, but because there would be less of a chance for that specific personality's role model to make availability.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Job openings are always "detail-oriented". No one ever looks for an "abstract thinker who will leave the details to others".

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

nah...i really don't. don't ever really think about it. i can do just light and social and be in the moment. delving deep into some abstract conversation typically just happens with people i know well or in a more intimate environment...or i guess it happens naturally with other n's but it's not something that's an issue ever. i am used to saying odd things and people telling me i'm weird but they seem to like it about me anyway...so i don't care.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Job openings are always "detail-oriented". No one ever looks for an "abstract thinker who will leave the details to others".
    Nice that N is almost 2-in-1, whereas S is.. eh.. 1-in-1

After all, forming abstraction needs something to form it on.

I still somehow hate how S manage to cope with their backwardness, and don't desperately need N so much
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Hmm sometimes. When I was a kid I think I did because being different was considered wrong by other kids. Or atleast more wrong than it is now at 17.
    I don't think it bothers me now i'm starting to get over the social akwardness of my youth. Actually I think a lot of people actually find my Nness quite interesting. Like when i was doing a show back in November the curtains opened in 5 min and everyone was on stage talking while i sat on the floor in my world air guitaring and one the girls turned around and said "Aww Haha he is in his own little world" and everyone kinda did that little laugh/smile/aww look for a sec rather than that "whats wrong/your weird/you okay" look. Then the same person (an 100% ESP) told me i was hilarious almost everytime i talked to her. She said the same to my sis a infp.

I think SPs like Nness. My best mates are an ISTp (hate it when he goes J) and an ESFP. the ESFP soaks up my style of humour like a sponge.

SJs on the other hand are far more guarded about Nness. They hate it or seem to.

But i'll shut up now as i am rambling (like Led Zepplin! !?!? actually i just though i'm listening to foo fighters!)
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!
    Likes Ihavepinkhair liked this post

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    that's a bold overstatement if i've ever seen any. it entirely depends on what you can and want to do. some jobs require you have a good overview of things. would you have a general sit and focus on one platoon of troops or on the entire army?

--

yes i mostly feel pressured, but then that may be a good thing. i have discovered ways to circumvent the S dominance and find other N people without much effort. it requires only handling an array of questions that you ask people at social gatherings and a threshold for those questions. if they answer the question one way, they're below the threshold, but if they answer the question a certain way, then there's a 100% probability of them being N.

it's like the riddle of the sphinx put into a modern context. most people don't even know that they are being tested.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

I feel more pressured to be E. To be perfectly honest I can't even think what it would mean to be pressured to be S. I think simply living in an existing world that requires sensual data in order to react with it is pressure to be S.

I do feel somewhat pressured when people go on and on about what they did last weekend or something of the like, but I think that's more E pressure than S. I do notice conversations run a lot smoother with other N types though, so it just may be S pressure.
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    that's a bold overstatement if i've ever seen any. it entirely depends on what you can and want to do. some jobs require you have a good overview of things. would you have a general sit and focus on one platoon of troops or on the entire army?
    I think he's pointing out that a majority of jobs are better performed by S types. Jobs that are better suited for Ns tend to be the upper management and such jobs, where a sense of the "bigger picture" is important. Lets face it. Those jobs aren't exactly something you just apply for, and a majority of jobs are the monotonous detail oriented ones. Detail being better worked on by S types.
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)