User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Nice that N is almost 2-in-1, whereas S is.. eh.. 1-in-1

After all, forming abstraction needs something to form it on.

I still somehow hate how S manage to cope with their backwardness, and don't desperately need N so much
    This is an interesting perspective. I know you were being somewhat tongue-in-cheek there, but it's weird. Actually I was talking with my ISFJ yesterday about some of the artists in his art class -- how he doesn't understand how artists can dress badly and make art no one understands (pretty sure he's talking about a specific INTX in his class actually who frustrates him), how he doesn't think such people are actually artists if they don't naturally understand color/form. We were joking that being an S is 2 in 1 (you can always delve into the mind, but having a grasp on reality is harder to achieve from our points of view) but that Ns are relegated to the world of the mind.

In reality we are all 2 in 1...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Yes, I feel pressured to be more extraverted sensor-ish if I'm in that kind of environment aka the world at large. I don't cave to the pressure though; instead I try to find a common ground.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    that's a bold overstatement if i've ever seen any. it entirely depends on what you can and want to do. some jobs require you have a good overview of things. would you have a general sit and focus on one platoon of troops or on the entire army?
    LOL "some jobs". That's a bold overstatement... how about "next to no" jobs?

We all know jobs comparable to being an army general are just as plentiful as those comparable to enlisted men.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Azseroffs View Post
    I feel more pressured to be E.
    This. I've had to learn how to crank up pseudo-Eness at work. Extreme introverts tend to get viewed fairly negatively.

I also get a lot of explicit pressure to be more F at work. I get a lot of 'you're very logical and rational, but you need to really improve how you deal with other people's emotional reactions' feedback.

Pressure to be more S is more implicit and tends to come more from chatting with people.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Do you N's feel pressure to act like S's in this S-focused world? How do you cope?
    I do, yes. I don't think it is just "N", but being both introverted and intuitive.
    I cope by using Te (see below), staying quiet, and coming off as bland as I cannot communicate in sensor style and be interesting. I definitely feel out of place, but that's also an INFP thing.

If you do indeed try to hide your awesome N ness, how well do you do?
    Pretty crappy I imagine. I may resort to Te to communicate over Ne and then I come off as harsh & abrasive, even if clearer. It works best when I use Te to organize Ne I guess (which is expressing Fi? haha).
    Using Ne, people's eyes glaze over and they just don't get what I am trying to say or they just think I am a weirdo. I don't tend to blame others....I recognize it's mostly my responsibility to communicate effectively to people. However, when I am happy and feeling comfortable, I use Ne and am much more charming, so it's in everyone's best interests to accept the Ne

And what would you tell us S's to do to make N's feel understood by us? (Without losing our sensorishness.)
    Don't tune us out when we start to speak about things outside of the here-and-now. Don't discount any metaphors/analogies we use as irrelevant because it seems "hypothetical" to you & therefore invalid (my ESFP sister always does that to me...grrrr!). We're using seemingly unrelated things to explain our point, so try and follow along, please.
    Don't view our visions as impractical, but get excited with us & even offer to help fill in the details. My S mom continually picks N husbands (:cough: ) and is very good at nurturing our creative sides. It can be done!

Do you know any N's that seem to feel out of place?
    Most of the N's I know are very independent people, and I realize now they have to be.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    he doesn't understand how artists can dress badly and make art no one understands (pretty sure he's talking about a specific INTX in his class actually who frustrates him), how he doesn't think such people are actually artists if they don't naturally understand color/form.
    This is funny, because this boggles me too and I am an INFP. I dress pretty well (albeit quirky) and naturally have a good sense of color/form, but I've seen many other INxPs who do not; however, it's only in their dress or home where they are lacking. In their art, they will have a wonderful sense of color and composition. How they don't apply it everything is beyond me.

As for understanding the art, well N's are visionaries. We have to be ahead of our time. Just give it 50 years or so
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Hehe. No pressure to be an S here.

However I do feel alot of pressure on these things in the social arena.
    "E, Ne, Ni and Fe" and to an extent "Se" -

It's just the friends I surround myself with. One of my biggest fears and nightmare is that I'm boring and I can't entertain others well.

Often Ne humour is just... too quick for me. I'm often left going "Uhh... You fool" because I can't come up with something quick enough to shoot back. Neither do I have the sort of Ni like humour as well. I definitely think intuitives are rather funny or interesting people.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Job openings are always "detail-oriented". No one ever looks for an "abstract thinker who will leave the details to others".
    Quote Originally Posted by Azseroffs View Post
    I think he's pointing out that a majority of jobs are better performed by S types. Jobs that are better suited for Ns tend to be the upper management and such jobs, where a sense of the "bigger picture" is important. Lets face it. Those jobs aren't exactly something you just apply for, and a majority of jobs are the monotonous detail oriented ones. Detail being better worked on by S types.
    OMG so true!

I can vouch for this because I have been searching for a entry-level job in my field for months! And this is in the arts and entertainment sector! I am going insane! :steam:

In general, I would say I do play at being a sensor - especially around people I'm not close to. This requires toning down/elimnating the philosophical babble and engaging in (much loathed) small-talk, speaking in a concise to-the-point manner, not straying too far from stating the obvious. Anything more than that and people's eyes start glazing over, then you are interrupted in order to return to the previous topic as if you never had spoken.

I'm being harsh on sensors, I know. They can be great fun to be around, and some of my best friends are sensors! But that is what it feels like to me a lot of the time. I have real trouble just relaxing and being myself when I have to cater to everyone limited attention spans and lack of imagination. It makes life a lot of work.

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    LOL "some jobs". That's a bold overstatement... how about "next to no" jobs?

We all know jobs comparable to being an army general are just as plentiful as those comparable to enlisted men.
    you're giving me semantics, sailor, so i'll give you the same: you implied that ALL jobs were looking for detail oriented people, i just proved you wrong.

besides, since there are so many less people being N, it is only natural that there would be less N based jobs, don't you think? and if you can't find those, then i'm thinking you're looking in the wrong places. try google?
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, I'm not sure what counts as Sensor behavior. The only thing I suppose I'd ask of anyone is that they be fairly quiet and subdued, give me plenty of personal space, and try to avoid chaotic behavior. Basically, don't do anything you wouldn't do in a Library around me.

Anyway, I feel that society as a whole only expects me to make enough money to survive, purchase basic goods and services on a regular basis, obey the law, and pay my taxes. If you do those things, they seem to leave you to your own devices. It might be different in some other areas, though. I'd say society is very, very TJ in nature, with a few basic FJ influences as well. Don't really see much strong I/E or S/N in it.

The only way I really modify my behavior in public is that I get very J. I plan out my actions before venturing outside, making sure I know what I need to do, how to do it, and where I need to go in order to accomplish the things I need to do. I also make sure that every action I might potentially take (and every condition I might find myself in) in any of those situations is permitted. In the time inbetween steps, I default to standing off to the side and standing (or sitting) still.

In other words, I don't really have a personality in public. I just carefully follow a series of scripted interactions with designated people and objects, and would probably be confused about what to do if I encountered a situation that wasn't covered in that script. Rather like an NPC in a video game (except that I can program myself). It seems that's what most of the others around me are doing as well, which is why I don't claim to know the personality of any of the people I see in real life. I never see theirs, and they don't see mine.