Before, I start, I need to post a few disclaimers.
- First, this is not meant as a judgment of Te types of people.
- Second, I think it will provide a perspective of Te from a perspective they did not have, and I think in the long run the Te types themselves will appreciate that.
- Third, I am not writing as a an authority, but simply airing my own opinions. I accept and expect a similar thing from others, especially from those who disagree with me.
I had initially wanted to start with Ti, but it became too self-flagellating to seem worthwhile. I'll take another crack at Ti later.
So, the problems with Te.
- First and foremost, when the Te function dominates, it DOMNATES. No other functions is so complete in its domination.
Any introverted function would require the assistance of an extroverted function simply for the human being using it to survive.
The other extroverted functions, inherently have a lack of self-reliance that actually serves to give them strength by involving other functions.
The extroverted perceiving functions need a judging function to make any decisions, and therefore make progress in the world. Therefore, even during their dominating phases, these functions need another function.
The Fe function inherently needs other people. This forces the function to consider the functions of the others that it cares about. Unless there is a freak instance where the user of the Fe function only has Fe dominant people that (s)he cares about, this forces the Fe to acknowledge another function.
- Second, the only paradigm the Te function has is the way the things the Te user wants things to be. Of course, every function inherently has only 1 particular paradigm by itself--that is what ultimately defines the function. So each function will have its own laundry list of shortcomings...and perhaps I will make one for each function.
One of Ti's is the lack of awareness of how emotions color its own understanding, for want of Fi. It perhaps explains partly why I tend to have a very critical eye towards things (including myself), without always realizing it.
The introverted functions have a paradigm divorced from the here-and-now, but due to the detachment this initial weakness gives, they are afforded a more general paradigm for use. The extroverted functions (including Te) works only on the here-and-now (though what that means is different for different functions). This gives the functions a lot of power, but the power comes at the cost of perspective.
The shortcomings that this sort of lack of perspective in Te is best illustrated by examining the Corporate World and Big Business. The types of things that movies like Office Space, and comics like Dilbert lampoon are mostly Te shortcomings:
- the lack of consideration for other people (for want of Fe)
- the lack of general foresight for the consequences for getting what it wants (Rumplestilskinsm) (for want of Ni)
- the inability to make basic inferences (for want of Ne)
- the lack of understanding of HOW things work (for want of Ti)
- the rudderless lack of values (for want of Fi)
- the complete divorce from reality (for want of Se)
- the wanton disregard for common sense and collective wisdom (for want of Si).