• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The problems with Te

ygolo

My termites win
Before, I start, I need to post a few disclaimers.
  • First, this is not meant as a judgment of Te types of people.
  • Second, I think it will provide a perspective of Te from a perspective they did not have, and I think in the long run the Te types themselves will appreciate that.
  • Third, I am not writing as a an authority, but simply airing my own opinions. I accept and expect a similar thing from others, especially from those who disagree with me.

I had initially wanted to start with Ti, but it became too self-flagellating to seem worthwhile. I'll take another crack at Ti later.

So, the problems with Te.

1. First and foremost, when the Te function dominates, it DOMNATES. No other functions is so complete in its domination.

Any introverted function would require the assistance of an extroverted function simply for the human being using it to survive.

The other extroverted functions, inherently have a lack of self-reliance that actually serves to give them strength by involving other functions.

The extroverted perceiving functions need a judging function to make any decisions, and therefore make progress in the world. Therefore, even during their dominating phases, these functions need another function.

The Fe function inherently needs other people. This forces the function to consider the functions of the others that it cares about. Unless there is a freak instance where the user of the Fe function only has Fe dominant people that (s)he cares about, this forces the Fe to acknowledge another function.

2. Second, the only paradigm the Te function has is the way the things the Te user wants things to be. Of course, every function inherently has only 1 particular paradigm by itself--that is what ultimately defines the function. So each function will have its own laundry list of shortcomings...and perhaps I will make one for each function.

One of Ti's is the lack of awareness of how emotions color its own understanding, for want of Fi. It perhaps explains partly why I tend to have a very critical eye towards things (including myself), without always realizing it.

The introverted functions have a paradigm divorced from the here-and-now, but due to the detachment this initial weakness gives, they are afforded a more general paradigm for use. The extroverted functions (including Te) works only on the here-and-now (though what that means is different for different functions). This gives the functions a lot of power, but the power comes at the cost of perspective.

The shortcomings that this sort of lack of perspective in Te is best illustrated by examining the Corporate World and Big Business. The types of things that movies like Office Space, and comics like Dilbert lampoon are mostly Te shortcomings:
    • the lack of consideration for other people (for want of Fe)
    • the lack of general foresight for the consequences for getting what it wants (Rumplestilskinsm) (for want of Ni)
    • the inability to make basic inferences (for want of Ne)
    • the lack of understanding of HOW things work (for want of Ti)
    • the rudderless lack of values (for want of Fi)
    • the complete divorce from reality (for want of Se)
    • the wanton disregard for common sense and collective wisdom (for want of Si).

Frank

Not bad. I'd say that the shortcomings were a fairly accurate depiction of things Te users face up until about 11 or 12 years of age when Ni/Si start to make their voices heard.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The thing is a Te primary is most likely to be well versed in Fe primary. I cant folow the logic that a Te primary would be bad with people. Thats too short-minded in my mind.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
None of the functions are very pretty in isolation. :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Response to Entropie: Being well-versed doesn't mean you are automatically good at relating to people. I know that I'm pretty awkward when it comes to handling people's emotions, e.g. comforting them, congratulating them. I'm good at storytelling, and I'm excellent at parties, but once you get to the friend stage, or dating... yeah. Not sure about other Te's, but that's how I am.

Response to Frank, and to OP: Yeah, some of these are a little too extreme for a healthy adult Te-user. I mean, "wanton disregard for common sense and collective wisdom"? As an SJ (with dominant Te), I think I actually follow the collective wisdom too much. After all, "collective wisdom" implies that it's the norm, and I am very comfortable (at times too comfortable) with the norm. I know that, as your disclaimer stated, you weren't trying to diss on the Te types, but the phrasing there seems... emotion-clouded? I dunno. It's like you've had some bad experiences with them that you're drawing from.

You had stated a very similar idea earlier, though, that I loved*:
"The only paradigm the Te function has is the way the things the Te user wants things to be."
This quote really, really struck me. You hit it right on the nose! I know loads of Te people (e.g. me, and an INTJ friend of mine) who have a tendency to go "Screw your stinkin' facts!" no matter how irrefutable the evidence. (This is why I'm bad at debating people, lol :D)

*dunno if "loved" is the right word, but it's incredibly accurate.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Response to Entropie: Being well-versed doesn't mean you are automatically good at relating to people. I know that I'm pretty awkward when it comes to handling people's emotions, e.g. comforting them, congratulating them. I'm good at storytelling, and I'm excellent at parties, but once you get to the friend stage, or dating... yeah. Not sure about other Te's, but that's how I am.

Questioning yourself is the most sure indicator of you trying to learn. And thats what I mean. Te and Fe aint that different. Meaning: a pure Te will never become dictator

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
T in general is a much more dominant function in general, because it adheres strictly to logic. F does not work in a spectrum of logic, and thus does not need such rules.

i tend to use an analogy to describe how F and T act in comparison to S/N:

S/N is a king. F/T are the king's advisors. depending on how strong the king is, he will rely on his advisors for help. F is the lenient advisor, acting like a brown noser. F takes the messages from the king, rewords it for better understanding, and gives it to the people (thoughts). during the translation, it is often that F loses some of the semantic, since F may not understand everything the king explains. for what it's worth, F does this with the best intentions of bringing the true message of the king.

T on the other hand, is the deceiving advisor. T's hidden agenda is to usurp the throne; and so, for every message that is given to it, T manipulates the message to adhere to it's own laws (logic), rather than the word of the king. T then delivers this message to the people. because of its way of putting everything into a logic context, T will see more understanding of what the king says than F. the sad part is, of course, T's malicious intent to dominate.

like i said before: depending on how strong the king is in his mentality, the advisors will take over his duties for him. if the king is a strong N, then he will constantly keep T in check while making sure that everything is explained properly to F. if the king is a weak N, the advisors will interpret parts of the king's message pertaining only close to each advisor's understanding. if the king is a strong S, he will make sure that both F and T are monitored while performing their duties. if the king is a weak S, the advisors will be fighting for the throne.

it's much easier to explain this way exactly where each function is and how they act in response to their intuitive functions (N/S), who parse messages from the core of the unconscious mind through the interpretors (F/T) to conscious thought.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
T in general is a much more dominant function in general, because it adheres strictly to logic. F does not work in a spectrum of logic, and thus does not need such rules.

But they never work alone. At least not in human beings

Frank

None of the functions are very pretty in isolation. :D

Agreed. Also a te dominant individual will eventually learn that it is in fact logical and prudent to consider their own and others feelings. While this may not be completely natural it is doable.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Of course its natural.

Thats the most reasonable thing there is: either become a maniac or dont

Frank

Of course its natural.

Thats the most reasonable thing there is: either become a maniac or dont

Natural in terms of ease of access to those functions. I can state from a te perspective it does require practice.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Fe never required practice and I am sure you know that too.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
But they never work alone. At least not in human beings

case in point. exactly how are you able to answer this with 100% accuracy? the world's leading psychologists don't know about this, yet you do?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The problem with the worlds leading psychologists is: they suck.
But I suck doubly so !

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
The problem with the worlds leading psychologists is: they suck.
But I suck doubly so !

you still didn't answer my question: how can you know with a 100% accuracy?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well, if I am the first to tell you in this life, I will try to be as serious as I can be: noone knows anything for sure in its life.

But to satisfy you, look at it logically. There is no type that hasnt F and T. Those two being the two rational functions, it means any type has to act out of one of the two. But, and to be precise, if everyone has got both, how could you say a 100% one does act out of only a single one of the two ?

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
Well, if I am the first to tell you in this life, I will try to be as serious as I can be: noone knows anything for sure in its life.

But to satisfy you, look at it logically. There is no type that hasnt F and T. Those two being the two rational functions, it means any type has to act out of one of the two. But, and to be precise, if everyone has got both, how could you say a 100% one does act out of only a single one of the two ?

yes, yes, logically. the problem with logic here however, is that it does not apply to the human mind. it is not the "end" that we have found two functions; there may be many more subfunctions that make up either of these or work as third functions. in addition there are parts of the mind that are irrational so far, because they are nested deep in unconsciousness.

assuming that the mind is rational is being logical at its worst; because you cannot prove it and thus it cannot be true. Q.E.

P.S. yes, maybe you are the first to tell me that, because it is usually what i tell people. logic creates understanding by limiting, whereas feeling creates understanding by rephrasing. if you stop looking just because you have falsely rationalized your explanation of the mind, then you might as well not know at all. research is a search without end.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Just dont try to explain everything for eternity. Sometimes just let it happen. It's tough but unique... and logic never gonna be unique

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
explaining is for people who have students to teach.

let me make myself clear: i do not explain. i search and become.