• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A few thoughts about past and present experiences from MBTI forums

Frank

This is basically a rant thread for all of you who are tired of being stereotyped by others, getting told what you are and what you aren't because of four stupid letters that aren't even very accurate.
I hope this will serve as a kick in the ass for some of you out there.

If I would decide on what type I was, I would be without conforming to MBTI:

Ambiverted Hyper-iNtuitive T/F-balanced J/P-balanced.

Seriously, there are no descriptions that fit me. Bits and pieces here and there. But it is like it is all so extreme, and aimed towards immature, shallow and one-sided people. I for one have a ton of different faces, and I am good at many things which are not limited to my "type".

It is kind of funny how people change their attitude towards me, depending on what type I say that I am. Below follows a little list of things what I have noticed, during the periods that I claimed to be of a certain type.

INTP
Nobody really took what I said seriously. Ever.
"Being" an INTP lowered my self-esteem a little at the time, since people would either deny I was one, or rant on how worthless INTPs are.

ENFP
If I weren't being taken seriously before, I sure wasn't now.
Good Lord, I wasn't even a Thinker anymore!!! :shock:
Feelers must all be illogical and horrible in all sorts of ways...
They should not be listened to!!! Or... At least that was what people seemed to think about (male) ENFPs.

ENFJ
Probably the best type i've ever had. People seemed to like me without me putting up any effort at all, basically. There were comments on my inferior logical skills and whatnot, though. Kind of ridiculous.

ESTP
Lord almighty. Being a SENSOR :shock:
All those E TP traits that are considered so damn valuable among troll and fool alike were suddenly rendered useless. In the eyes of one and all, I became some kind of drunken, stupid, illiterate and uncultured savage. I sure hated being an ESTP.

ENTJ
I have kept this dear type for a long time now.
Being an ENTJ does kind of resemble the state of being made into an island.
There are cool people out there who looks beyond type, and what functions that makes me naturally good at whatever...
Being an ENTJ is kind of like being some kind of werewolf. People respect the ENTJ out of fear. People dislike ENTJs though, and it's slowly making me into a cynic. Also, some people who claim to be INTJs and INTPs in particular tries to slander everything ENTJ, really paint it black. Sure, some ENTPs and other chime in at times, but it's more often with a tone of sarcasm or amusement.
I am not saying bad things here about all INTJs and INTPs, it's just that quite a few members hanging out on this particular forum, who happens to be typed as INTPs and INTJs, are incurable trolls. These people probably identifies anti-social, destructive and immature behavior with being intelligent, and in extension being INTJ/INTP. Well, screw you.
I know a few real INTPs and INTJs, a couple of them members of MENSA, and they are not like you. They know far more, they can usually converse well even if they might have a tendency towards being quiet, and they do not pretend like they're emotionally dead just to be cool. Nor do they behave like snotty little brats who needs to get real.
Really, some of you should really go see a whole staff of psychotherapists, councilors, psychologists and doctors. I promise, it is in your own interest.
Some day, someone might become so bloody sick of you that they actually kill you slowly by roasting your scrawny asses over a fire. :hug:

PigOverFire.jpg

Just to end this in a good fashion:
[YOUTUBE="iJKi1Nd1dhw"]Antonio Vivaldi - Flute Concerto in G minor 'La Notte'[/YOUTUBE]

lol. Well said and spot on.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is basically a rant thread for all of you who are tired of being stereotyped by others, getting told what you are and what you aren't because of four stupid letters that aren't even very accurate. especially by people who aren't in your head xD. I make the final decision though it is nice to hear what people think though but with respect to it being individual choice cause i know myself best as do others.

I hope this will serve as a kick in the ass for some of you out there.

If I would decide on what type I was, I would be without conforming to MBTI:

Ambiverted Hyper-iNtuitive T/F-balanced J/P-balanced.

Seriously, there are no descriptions that fit me. Bits and pieces here and there. But it is like it is all so extreme, and aimed towards immature, shallow and one-sided people. I for one have a ton of different faces, and I am good at many things which are not limited to my "type".

yeah and some things brought up in some discussion forums also have nothing to do with typing :doh: like i must be this cause i like this as does this other "random type". type is just a general theme you notice you share the most with others/ or your best fit type. There can be many influences too like experiences that make you develop other functions that make you a not so "typical" type for whatever type you are :newwink:. Also remember no same type is going to be exactly alike there's going to be variation cause of how you were raised, parents/friends/siblings types, certain tramatic events that naturally call for reflection like death etc, it goes on. lot of stuff to consider to get at the core of what your true needs are in life not just what is at the surface. Also your never going to fit into a neat little box either hence cause of influence but also cause we are also human and are individuals.

It is kind of funny how people change their attitude towards me, depending on what type I say that I am. Below follows a little list of things what I have noticed, during the periods that I claimed to be of a certain type.

interesting about how people change there attitude toward you when you what type you say you are. Yes stereotypes are very depressing let's bust it wide open. I'm glad that forums like this are starting to sprout.

INTP
Nobody really took what I said seriously. Ever.
"Being" an INTP lowered my self-esteem a little at the time, since people would either deny I was one, or rant on how worthless INTPs are. *gasps. that's a shame no type is worthless :shock: and it's up to you in the end what type you are :yes:.

ENFP
If I weren't being taken seriously before, I sure wasn't now.
Good Lord, I wasn't even a Thinker anymore!!! :shock:
Feelers must all be illogical and horrible in all sorts of ways...
They should not be listened to!!! Or... At least that was what people seemed to think about (male) ENFPs. *sighs in sadness* yeah that's another stereotype F's can be logical :yes: and actually make wise decisions in life. it is a rational judging function afterall Fe and Fi. Perceiving functions Doms can be logical too. I think cause there named irrational that might be a possible interpretation problem in stereotyping .

ENFJ
Probably the best type i've ever had. People seemed to like me without me putting up any effort at all, basically. There were comments on my inferior logical skills and whatnot, though. Kind of ridiculous.

ESTP
Lord almighty. Being a SENSOR :shock:
All those E TP traits that are considered so damn valuable among troll and fool alike were suddenly rendered useless. In the eyes of one and all, I became some kind of drunken, stupid, illiterate and uncultured savage. I sure hated being an ESTP.

wow yeah it seems there are stereotypes along with every type. Just follow your heart/gut you name it :newwink: I even heard somewhere it's assumed that S's are not smart :huh:

ENTJ
I have kept this dear type for a long time now.
Being an ENTJ does kind of resemble the state of being made into an island.
There are cool people out there who looks beyond type, and what functions that makes me naturally good at whatever...
Being an ENTJ is kind of like being some kind of werewolf. People respect the ENTJ out of fear. People dislike ENTJs though, and it's slowly making me into a cynic. Also, some people who claim to be INTJs and INTPs in particular tries to slander everything ENTJ, really paint it black. Sure, some ENTPs and other chime in at times, but it's more often with a tone of sarcasm or amusement.
I am not saying bad things here about all INTJs and INTPs, it's just that quite a few members hanging out on this particular forum, who happens to be typed as INTPs and INTJs, are incurable trolls. These people probably identifies anti-social, destructive and immature behavior with being intelligent, and in extension being INTJ/INTP. Well, screw you.
I know a few real INTPs and INTJs, a couple of them members of MENSA, and they are not like you. They know far more, they can usually converse well even if they might have a tendency towards being quiet, and they do not pretend like they're emotionally dead just to be cool. Nor do they behave like snotty little brats who needs to get real.

yeah i think people take the term Thinker too literally has nothing to do with if people can think or feel as obvious as this statement seems.

Really, some of you should really go see a whole staff of psychotherapists, councilors, psychologists and doctors. I promise, it is in your own interest.
Some day, someone might become so bloody sick of you that they actually kill you slowly by roasting your scrawny asses over a fire. :hug:

PigOverFire.jpg

Just to end this in a good fashion:
[YOUTUBE="iJKi1Nd1dhw"]Antonio Vivaldi - Flute Concerto in G minor 'La Notte'[/YOUTUBE]

:headphne: nice.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
experiences OF mbti forums is a nice way to put it

heart

heart on fire
The things that the INFP is sterotyped with on this board are not all that different from people's knee jerk assumptions about me in real life, when they know nothing about MBTI so I really can't say I connect the experience specifically to MBTI message boards. I can't really take too much of the stereotyping here seriously. I am just a screenname on a board who has those letters under my name and I am the one who put them there, doesn't mean a lot in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't chage anything about me to have put them there nor does it change anything about the real, true me when others vent about INFP. It's just a construct, a label, a handy way of trying to put something in a box and describe it that really can't ever be truly described.

But many of the INFP profiles make INFP sound like a cardboard character, too fluffy and happy-go-luck to be believed.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Dude, that was the light version :D If I would have expressed myself the way my mind was thinking, I would probably have a red name and a custom user title that said "BANNED" :smile:

Good thing I have a little self-restraint.

Good trait for a potential mod to have. :newwink:

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good trait for a potential mod to have. :newwink:

That thread and poll doesn't have any bearing whatsoever on the decision of the mods and admins. They probably don't even want new mods right now.
The mod nomination thread is just a source of amusement for Bluemonday. :D

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, the blessing and curse of this forum is, the whole thing is based on assumptions. Talking with someone who isn't familiar with MBTT, you might have to list a lot more personality traits to get someone to understand the type of person you are talking about, whereas on here, you can say "he's an INTP" and people automatically know some things about that person, and you can focus on the traits that are more specific to that person to elaborate.

The problem, of course, is when the assumptions are taken to the extreme, and people basically build a caricature of a type instead of using it as a starting point, and they assume they know "all about" someone simply by seeing four letters. It's like most things, moderation is usually the key. And believe me, this is hard for me too, as even without caricature I can say that moderation is not a specialty of SP types. :blush:

I do sometimes wonder if I had made pretty much all the same posts (minus the ones that are specific to my type) but had a different type under my name, if people would have treated me differently. It seems in YLJ's case, they did, or at least it seemed like it to him.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I do sometimes wonder if I had made pretty much all the same posts (minus the ones that are specific to my type) but had a different type under my name, if people would have treated me differently. It seems in YLJ's case, they did, or at least it seemed like it to him.

I think its inevitable that most people need prejudices to get along with their lives. They need some clear description of people to find meaning to theirselves, its not only an american problem its worldwide.

But the ones, who are aware of that and could be the ones too see the danger in that, could be on the way to be blessed by a huge big bunch of boobs. And I have no clue what I am talking about.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That reminds me, I need to join MENSA.

wolfy

awsm
Well said YLJ. I hate it when people use someone's type as a metaphor for something else. Like 'I was with a bunch of ESFJ' or crap like that.
The 'magical' N and the everybody knows that S talk gets on my nerves too.

I judge people by their avatar and the random stuff they say.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well said YLJ. I hate it when people use someone's type as a metaphor for something else. Like 'I was with a bunch of ESFJ' or crap like that.
The 'magical' N and the everybody knows that S talk gets on my nerves too.

I judge people by their avatar and the random stuff they say.

At least that latter one is sort of valid :D

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I was an INTP once. That was a harrowing experience.

Then I was an ISFP for a little. That was kind of fun. But very difficult.

*skitters away from the end of the OP*

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't get it YLJ. If it bothers you so much, why you gotta play that game? You can be awesome no matter what type you list. Or list no type at all (like ajblaise said). If people only treat you respectfully because of the type you list, than they are not really appreciating your *individual* traits- not realy getting to know you/respecting you for who you really are. It's no better than being disliked for traits that belong to you either.

wolfy

awsm
In a way I like the stereotypes, it's a role to play. Like Aladdin Sane for Bowie.