User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 69

  1. #41
    :) INFtha14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,894

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    from wiki...
    not sure what else you need really. that's why i haven't answered.

    Functions: Sensing (S) / iNtuition (N) and Thinking (T) / Feeling (F)

    Jung identified two pairs of psychological functions:

    * The two perceiving functions, sensing and intuition
    * The two judging functions, thinking and feeling

    According to the Myers-Briggs typology model, each person uses one of these four functions more dominantly and proficiently than the other three; however, all four functions are used at different times depending on the circumstances.

    Sensing and Intuition are the information-gathering (perceiving) functions. They describe how new information is understood and interpreted. Individuals who prefer sensing are more likely to trust information that is in the present, tangible and concrete: that is, information that can be understood by the five senses. They tend to distrust hunches that seem to come out of nowhere. They prefer to look for details and facts. For them, the meaning is in the data. On the other hand, those who prefer intuition tend to trust information that is more abstract or theoretical, that can be associated with other information (either remembered or discovered by seeking a wider context or pattern). They may be more interested in future possibilities. They tend to trust those flashes of insight that seem to bubble up from the unconscious mind. The meaning is in how the data relates to the pattern or theory.

    Thinking and feeling are the decision-making (judging) functions. The thinking and feeling functions are both used to make rational decisions, based on the data received from their information-gathering functions (sensing or intuition). Those who prefer thinking tend to decide things from a more detached standpoint, measuring the decision by what seems reasonable, logical, causal, consistent and matching a given set of rules. Those who prefer feeling tend to come to decisions by associating or empathizing with the situation, looking at it 'from the inside' and weighing the situation to achieve, on balance, the greatest harmony, consensus and fit, considering the needs of the people involved.

    As noted already, people who prefer thinking do not necessarily, in the everyday sense, 'think better' than their feeling counterparts; the opposite preference is considered an equally rational way of coming to decisions (and, in any case, the MBTI assessment is a measure of preference, not ability). Similarly, those who prefer feeling do not necessarily have 'better' emotional reactions than their thinking counterparts.
    wow thank you lady X this is another great clear source and post.
    I think is going to be very helpful with the F vs T hmm.....

    Thank you very much. *goes to look over the T and F paragraph*
    I can see also how S can relate to T in some areas like
    let's look at this realistically, wanting evidence or facts for proof of a statement right?
    Am i getting this or i am just not grasping this right?
    S versus T I wonder where can they look alike and possibly get mistaken for one another?

    I read somwhere that S and T can seem to relate well to one another (someone prefering S and another prefering T).
    What is Feeling?
    Feeling is primarily a process.....that imparts to the content a definite value in the sense of acceptance or rejection. In the same way that thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value. Feeling, like thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason...
    (Carl Jung, Psychological Types, Chapter XI - Definitions)

  2. #42
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    i never actually thought about that being confusing but i think i see your point. it may very well appear that the s person is being rational looking at the facts and maybe it looks like t...to you...like logical/illogical i get that i think...i think it's because you trust your data because you have evidence...you may not trust the data that an n is trying to convince you of? is that what you mean?

    is that even what i mean?? i think i just confused myself. : /
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  3. #43
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    is that even what i mean?? i think i just confused myself. : /
    Hahaha
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

  4. #44
    :) INFtha14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i never actually thought about that being confusing but i think i see your point. it may very well appear that the s person is being rational looking at the facts and maybe it looks like t...to you...like logical/illogical i get that i think...i think it's because you trust your data because you have evidence...you may not trust the data that an n is trying to convince you of? is that what you mean?

    is that even what i mean?? i think i just confused myself. : /

    I don't know.
    yeah that's what I was wondering like when you hear S described in theory it seems that them wanting actual proof of something but i guess if i'm understanding correctly because of S being a Information processing function and T being a Judgment function I guess the distinction might be made like

    S: when coming across information they need to have it be practical, able to actually be applied in the real world not just for the fun of considering the possibility it has to apply first (N? even it's not going to be applied they still play around with the idea kind of thing)

    T: when making a judgement would apply an objective, pragmatic? realistic (but more in the sense of not clouded by emotional connections not the S being realistic as it is only useful if it can be applied to there five senses/ in the hear and now/present moment or situation/problem etc)

    I think i could see S being considered to appear rational also like you said in gathering information compared to what some may consider to appear not rational = N but i think there both great functions i'm not putting them negatively. just comparing how some consider t versus f well maybe n versus s has kind of a similarity there in the sense S seems more "logical/practical" N seems more "speculative, goes off into tangents of other ways to do things that an S may not have even thought of like something totally off the wall from what's going on but somehow makes sense xD"

    Am i getting this right? T i don't quite understand so much but i tried.
    sorry to confuse you with this.
    What is Feeling?
    Feeling is primarily a process.....that imparts to the content a definite value in the sense of acceptance or rejection. In the same way that thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value. Feeling, like thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason...
    (Carl Jung, Psychological Types, Chapter XI - Definitions)

  5. #45
    :) INFtha14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,894

    Talking

    Originally Posted by Lady X
    is that even what i mean?? i think i just confused myself. : /

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Hahaha
    there there....Lady X they say if your not confused your not thinking clearly enough so go you .
    What is Feeling?
    Feeling is primarily a process.....that imparts to the content a definite value in the sense of acceptance or rejection. In the same way that thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value. Feeling, like thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason...
    (Carl Jung, Psychological Types, Chapter XI - Definitions)

  6. #46
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    do they say that!? well...THEY might be a lil mad then...just sayin.

    here...would it help to see how an nt thinks logically but abstractly?
    http://www.keirsey.com/handler.aspx?...b=5&c=overview
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  7. #47
    :) INFtha14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,894

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    do they say that!? well...THEY might be a lil mad then...just sayin.

    here...would it help to see how an nt thinks logically but abstractly?
    http://www.keirsey.com/handler.aspx?...b=5&c=overview
    xD hey I'm just reciting what i have heard being passed down from family member (who i wouldn't doubt that at times hahahaha)

    oh thanks let me check that out....just might i'll be right back .
    Last edited by INFtha14; 05-14-2009 at 08:12 AM.
    What is Feeling?
    Feeling is primarily a process.....that imparts to the content a definite value in the sense of acceptance or rejection. In the same way that thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value. Feeling, like thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason...
    (Carl Jung, Psychological Types, Chapter XI - Definitions)

  8. #48
    :) INFtha14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,894

    Default

    yeah i guess i can see the difference now with the link you sent.

    I would love to hear other types too and how they don't fit the conceived stereotype I'd love for this discussion to be a haven for people who are new to this and can get the real deal /to get away from stereotyping.
    so far it's doing great *is really happy*

    thanks again for the link and all you guys contributing jeremy too.
    What is Feeling?
    Feeling is primarily a process.....that imparts to the content a definite value in the sense of acceptance or rejection. In the same way that thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value. Feeling, like thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason...
    (Carl Jung, Psychological Types, Chapter XI - Definitions)

  9. #49
    :) INFtha14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,894

    Wink come out unique

    i wonder where unique is *looks all around the forum*
    I think it would be perfect for him to come here and post to hopefully bust those estp stereotypes. He's really insightful....come out come out whereever you are hehe.
    halla74 also is really good too
    both halla74/ "?" and Unique make some really amazing posts in this discussion.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-courting.html

    and other types who feel that they feel that there needs to be something said to blow the sterotypes out of the water

    What is Feeling?
    Feeling is primarily a process.....that imparts to the content a definite value in the sense of acceptance or rejection. In the same way that thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value. Feeling, like thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason...
    (Carl Jung, Psychological Types, Chapter XI - Definitions)

  10. #50
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    INTP is not I+N+T+P, it is INTP. No more, no less.

    It does include elements of I, but not all of them.
    It does include elements of N, but not all of them.
    It does include elements of T, but not all of them.
    It does include elements of P, but not all of them.
    It does include elements of NT, but not all of them.
    It does include elements of IP, but not all of them.
    It does include elements of NTP, but not all of them.

    I wish more people understood this.

    Oh and universally, INTP does not equal INTP either. I'm an INTP but INTP isn't me (that's how you kick stereotypes into touch).

    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.)
    Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"
    US poet (1819 - 1892)
    -First seen as MacGuffin's signature like 6 years ago or something freaky like that!!

    I'm beginning to think that INTP as a type simply means INTP>ESFJ and that each paring represents a set of trait that people are then either closer to being INTP or ESFJ and get typed as such.

    {I hope this muddies the water sufficiently to make all things clear}
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 370
    Last Post: 02-07-2016, 09:54 PM
  2. Burning the Quran
    By MacGuffin in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-18-2012, 11:45 AM
  3. Replies: 57
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 08:34 PM
  4. Meet me, the xNxP! lol
    By chris09 in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO