• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

76 Personality types?

jackandthebeast

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
tert
Taking the Myers-Brigg test, I had come out as an INFJ, though very close on the J/P axis. Which made sense, as neither the INFP or INFJ descriptions seemed to fully describe me. A good friend of mine had also attested that my behaviors were closer to that of a J, while my values were more in line with that of a P. After looking extensively for some type of personality description for a person who was borderline on that axis, I found the term INFx, though very little information on what being INFx connoted. I also found a site on the cognitive functions, which I used to combine the patterns for INFJ and INFP into the pattern for an INFx.
After that, I thought I’d figure out the patterns for all the possible type combinations using x as a third possibility for each of the four axes. I had the shadow functions wrong at first because my initial strategy of combining the patterns was to use the functions where they first occurred and then strike them out the second time, but after reading the descriptions of functions in their various positions (using the function descriptions on Wikisocion) I realized that I was making a mistake with the patterns. (Plus that way a lot of the other patterns better mimic the structure of the original 16).
The tables below are the 76 patterns I concluded exist. I got the numbers working from the idea that like the basic patterns, all the numbers in the pattern should add up to 36 and that working inward the functions can be grouped into sets of nine. These patterns weren't meant to represent individuals who’ve shifted between different types, like a friend of mine who has been ENFP and an INFP at different times in her life and currently has the pattern of an ENFP except with Fi also in first position.

I've observed a lot of these patterns in real life, though now i feel like I've been limiting my awareness of individuals by choosing to view them from the perspective of type. I'm actually posting this theory because I'm prone to obsessive analysis and the awareness of this has shattered my autonomy. i'm hoping that posting this will restore that to me by giving me an outlet so I can stop thinking about it.

Sorry if this was rambling.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Well, that certainly must have took a lot of thinking. I'm curious of what this document is, but I can't seem to open it. I can't find the right encoding to make the file readable. =(

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Microsoft Word.

I opened it up and cried because I have no idea what it all means D:

Kungpowish

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
two
I like this idea, though I don't know enough about Te Ni and the like to understand the table. I often feel like a ENFJ/P so the idea of a new type that really fits me is appealing. Kudos on making the effort by the way.

/DG/

Can someone make a notepad document of this? I can't open it on my computer for some reason. In Microsoft Word it says there's an encoding problem and I can open it in Microsoft Works, but the table is distorted and messed up.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
It has a large graphical component, notepad wouldn't be able to open it.

/DG/

Erm... then is there any other type of document you could post it in? I would really like to see what's in that document. :(

jackandthebeast

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
tert
If you tell me what's a better (more universally openable) file extension I'll try to convert it. I'll try to explain this more clearly if any of it's confusing. What I did was to find all the combinations if each axis can have a third variable, x, meaning that a person is borderline between the other two variables. For S and N, T and F, and J and P, it would probably be a trait the person had a percentage of between 50 and 60% on, as it's in the middle, although of course a person won't necessarily register as that. For E and I that doesn't work because E and I isn't necessarily how social you are but where more of your energy comes from, so that involves more guesswork. Again, what I did to figure out the patterns (the second time, and the way I believe is correct) was to list all the function patterns for the types the person is (or might be) borderline on, in the order of E before I, S before N, T before F, and S before N. then I counted out four functions (if it evenly comes out to four) or five functions, with the understanding that the last two are borderline between primary and secondary. Then I went to the end, and counted out the same number (three if there are two borderline) from the end, not counting functions that already appeared in the first primary functions. Then I crossed out all the repetitions in the middle. You might want to try this yourself- it might make more sense. I figured out the numbers for the functions so that all the numbers added up to six, where you can count out groups of nine as you work toward the middle (like the basic sixteen functions). Some of these subtypes have a trait subverted, although some people likely develop their lacking traits normally growing up where they encounter circumstances that require them. I am an INFx who's not very developed in her thinking or sensing. Which is funny because I want to be a writer, and I have trouble writing (on a large scale, not this) because I lack structure or detail.
as far as understanding this, I kind of try to envision the ideology of the personality, and I work from examples to get a better understanding of the type overall. I work from both what functions should be present and the letters to try to figure people out. Wikisocion, although some of it seems really hokey, has really good function descriptions where it tells you what the function does in each place. The only problem is that, working from the 16 types, it assumes that if one function is somewhere, other functions have to be somewhere else (for example, that if Si is in 7th place, that it has to be behind Se). The stuff about the static and dynamic functions also makes sense. (on that site, you can just type the function abbreviations in the search box).
If there are any other questions you have, I can answer them. Again, somebody tell me a better file type to convert the page to.

G

garbage

Opened it up and re-saved it.. said some features were incompatible with Word 97/2003 but it seems to be just fine. This may or may not work..

Haven't had a chance to look over it in detail yet, but it looks interesting.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Opened it up and re-saved it.. said some features were incompatible with Word 97/2003 but it seems to be just fine. This may or may not work..

Haven't had a chance to look over it in detail yet, but it looks interesting.

Thank greed. imo, it looks pretty sound. i come from the philosophy that everyone has one of the 16 but any two of the same possesed preferences can be two completely different people yet maintain/be consistent with their leanings.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yep i agree with that...it's like the many shades of blue...ya know? they're all blue but quite different...or something.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow; this is just like what I had been trying to put together for a couple of years now. I go into it on my page Temperament Part 3: The Thought Box (discussion of methods used is above the table), and we even discussed the idea here, where Athenian introduced his own "intermediate pole" names, and some of the process orders (He also says Mondo first suggested the idea of "dynamic type" at some point):
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ity-matrices/7087-ambiverts-4.html#post267626

I see in this chart, XXXX is missing, and apparently four others --looks like xSxx, xNxx, xxTx, and xxFx (since a third scale in the dichotomies should make it 81 types). Some who know something about five temperament theory, or at least realize the classic Phlegmatic's temperamental "neutrality", have said XXXX would be a pure Phlegmatic. That was what inspired me to try to put this together, but I have since realized that in both systems, there is no absolute middle in the scales (which in the Five Temperament system would be an e or w score of 4.5). So all temperament combinations will lean to one side or the other, and even the pure Phlegmatic would be divided between e/w=4 (I and/or task-focused) and 5 (E and/or people-focused).

Still, it would have been nice for a possible Enneagram mapping.
this new chart does seem accurate, as XNXP, for instance, are those who have high Ne, Fi and Ti. So in my case, it has been a matter of using the Beebe archetypes to see which really fit into which roles, and it really does match Ti-Ne-Si, with a strong daemon Fi; and the Cognitive Process test also helped; hence I was able to drop the X's last year.

(the fact that I kept putting off arranging all those processes like this and ever got to it, shows that I do not have an inflated "relief" {tertiary} Te as some have thought. Just the thought of doing all that was tiring. So thanks, Jack!)

Last edited:

jackandthebeast

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
tert
I don't completely understand your post, Eric B, but the reason that xSxx, xNxx, xxTx, xxFx, and xxxx are missing is that there are too many functions that would necessarily have to be on one side for the primary and shadow functions to be balanced.
I would like it if you could explain some of what you were saying in more basic terms.

To the other posters, The idea of the x patterns aren't saying that you're necessarily exactly in the middle between two traits but that you can have multiple and even opposing functions in the same place- of course there is still variation between amount of functions used. But if there's an x, the use of the two functions should be reasonably close. Some examples of people I know who are between two traits (that are more observable than J and P): my friend Diana, who's an IxFP, has Se and Ne both as 2nd function to her Fi as 1st; she's into virtually everything (both sensing and intuitive type information appeals to her), and she's told me that since she was younger she's observed a kind of consciousness shift, depending on the situation, between being aware of the world and being in her head, analyzing it. My friend Athia's an INxP, and she's both an idealist and a cynic- her first two functions are Fi and Ti. I have a younger cousin who's an ExTP, and he's a class clown- his sense of humor incorporates a lot of cross references from movies as well as physical humor, and his two first functions are Ne and Se, followed by Ti as 2nd.
I also included some examples of types of characters/public figures underneath the charts- you can observe them and see if any of them seem to fit.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Athenian actually did three of those five missing ones:

ANBM [XNXX] -- Xx, Xx [N] Xx, Xx (I/E not static, otherwise same as INBM[INXX].)

ARFM [XXFX] -- Xx, Xx [F] Xx, Xx [T] (J/P not static, otherwise same as ARFJ[XXFJ]. Somewhere in first block is Fe or Fi, somewhere in second is Ti or Te. Exact position subject to change.)

ARBM [XXXX] -- Xx, Xx, Xx, Xx (Everything is subject to change completely, although the functions are in an unknowable specific pattern at any given moment. Worst case scenario).

I guess these would be hypothetical people with all or almost all of their functions developed.

As to the other stuff I said, the Phlegmatic temperament has been described as at one time, the absence of temperament (no disposition in any diirection), so we would expect that to be the closest thing to an XXXX. Their main drive in life is said to be the preservation of their low energy, which would seem to be somewhere between S and N perception, and T and F judgment. (And their social behavior is generally ambiverted, and they can take people and tasks or leave them). But even that temperament will be divided by slight leanings to one side or another.
So I've kind of given up on creating a truly moderate scale, though some aspects of this dynamic idea would seem useful. (But now you're saying you wouldn't have to be exactly in the middle. Still, the codes are based by definition on "preference", so whatever the preference, however slight, is what goes into the code).

jackandthebeast

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
tert
I was working off of the idea that the functions on both sides have to be balanced, (since with the basic 16 types you have four functions on each side). I figured out the functions so that the total is 36 and working from the ends you have either four pairs of nines or two pairs of nines and one pair of eighteen in the center. Since xSxx, xNxx, xxTx, xxFx, and xxxx place either 6 or eight functions in the primary functions and in the same position, the primary functions would have to be in a place lower than 1 to balance out with the shadow functions, and as lacking first functions would cause people to lack an orientation (you have to lean on something first), I don't believe that these five patterns can naturally occur, though I guess theoretically someone could manipulate their thought so that they arrive at one of these patterns.
Thank you for using the word "ambiverted". I've never heard it before.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Author, get this published, put on Oprah for people with identity crises, then become famous.

jackandthebeast

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
tert
I can't tell if you're serious or not. No, I was hoping to put it on a website (though I don't know what free website sites are valid) and leave it at that. I got way too into it at some point, where I couldn't think or act naturally because I was analyzing the motivations behind everything I did. I completely lost my autonomy, and now I've pretty much regained it, but I'd like to give it some outlet so the theory's out there(so that i don't have to lament the wasted effort) and I can completely shake it from my psyche.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Would I be able to use the tables on my site? (i.e. I would basically "host" your idea as an additional possibility).

jackandthebeast

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
tert
Yeah, if you could use my name, that'd be great. My name is Angelica Graue. And could you send me the link?