• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

perceptive versus lazy

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are some of the differences between an act of laziness and the perceptive trait?

Perceiving (P)
I use my perceiving function (whether it is Sensing or Intuition) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a flexible and spontaneous way of life, and I like to understand and adapt to the world rather than organize it. Others see me staying open to new experiences and information.

Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, inside I may feel very planful or decisive (which I am).

Remember, in type language perceiving means “preferring to take in information.” It does not mean being “perceptive” in the sense of having quick and accurate perceptions about people and events.

The following statements generally apply to me:

* I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens.
* I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum.
* I like to approach work as play or mix work and play.
* I work in bursts of energy.
* I am stimulated by an approaching deadline.
* Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed.

Laziness (also called indolence): a disinclination to activity or exertion despite having the ability to do so. It is often used as a pejorative [basically a payout]. Chronic laziness may be an underlying psychological condition.

How much of a difference is there between a lazy P versus a lazy J? Or even a hard working P versus a hardworking J?

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think it takes maturity more so than work ethic.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
They aren't the same. A P person isn't necessarily "lazy." A person can be hard working and still be flexible, casual, and annoyed by excessive planning. I don't see the two as being interchangeable at all. "works in bursts of energy" can mean that someone takes it easy for a couple of days, but then works their butt off for a couple more days (and possibly through the night).

Lazy is just...lazy.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know they are not the same... but I'd like to be able to more easily tell if I'm being lazy, or just perceptive in any one situation. Examples: procrastinating uni work, not being able to pull out on people in your car, not paying bills...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I dont think you are lazy. Lazy I think basically is someone, who doesnt get the job done in the end.

You cant compare it with perceiving tho. The P level is more like being able to take-in and see alot more information or suddenly changing a decision for no apparent reason.

Its like me and my dad going to the movies: We stand there and debate on which movie is good and which is not. This process takes several hours. Then we say we will go to this movie, while waiting in line change our opinion though to another movie.

And then just before we buy the cards, someone will say: "Hey whats about eating an ice cream ? We havent had ice cream in like 300 years". Then we will forget about the movie idea and go eat an ice cream :D.

The procrastinating uni work and so on, thats just human, you are not a machine after all. And dont mind people who work like machines, they got different issues.

You just have to find your peace one day with your attitude or change your attitude so you can find your peace with it. Otherwise you stay unrelaxed and imbalanced all your life.

G

garbage

If you let Perception completely dominate your personality, you won't actually make decisions or get things done when needed. You won't know how to process or what to actually do with the information you take in.

So, yeah, you'll be pretty lazy.

But that's not to say that Perception is laziness.

They aren't the same. A P person isn't necessarily "lazy." A person can be hard working and still be flexible, casual, and annoyed by excessive planning. I don't see the two as being interchangeable at all. "works in bursts of energy" can mean that someone takes it easy for a couple of days, but then works their butt off for a couple more days (and possibly through the night).

Lazy is just...lazy.

And this is a good example of embracing the strengths of Perception while not allowing the weaknesses to surface to an unhealthy degree.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If you let Perception completely dominate your personality, you won't actually make decisions or get things done when needed. You won't know how to process or what to actually do with the information you take in.

Did you ever heard about the "butterfly logic" by the way ? It basically deals with the fact that, if butterflies hadnt grown wings and flew away from the ground, they could have become dinosaurs aswell :D.

One of my favourite sorts of logic, but not necessarily always applicable to reality :D

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I Lazy I think basically is someone, who doesnt get the job done in the end.

Haha that would depend on how you define "the end", you'd be suprised at how many things there are that you could potentially procrastinate on for the rest of your life.........wouldn't be lazy though. :D

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think there's much of a difference between a lazy P and a lazy J. (In the end, the person just chose not to do things that they should have done. Well the J considered it earlier on and just didn't do it, and the P thought of it at the last minute and just didn't do it.)

But I think that P's may be more prone to act lazy because of our tendency to lack motivation until the last minute. So like for me, if I have a day off with 5 things I CAN do, and 1 thing I have to do, i'm likely to do the one thing I have to do, (at the time I have to do it.) And those five things I CAN do but aren't due for that day. Well I won't do them. Not until they become a necessity. I'd rather enjoy now and work later. So everything gets done at the specified time. But things like cleaning and such wait a while since they don't ever seem to become immediate. It gives an impression of laziness.

I have a job where things are constantly immediate and coming up- so I actually excel at that. So people at work can see that i'm not lazy, rather just cool headed with the things that are constantly coming up. But at home I can definitely be lazy, since there is hardly ever anything that needs to be done right away. I would rather sit and drink my coffee and look out the window. That's definitely lazy. Then often times any J I live with will come along and get it done before me. (The do it now and then relax later attitude.) Which makes me look even lazier, and trains me to believe that if I leave chores then they will eventually go away. :)

So laziness and perception are definitely two different things- but I think they can tie together, (or at least appear to)

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
greed;648064[B said:
]If you let Perception completely dominate your personality, you won't actually make decisions or get things done when needed. You won't know how to process or what to actually do with the information you take in.[/B]

That's me, Peeing all over my life lol I am I think about as P as you can get. :doh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Haha that would depend on how you define "the end", you'd be suprised at how many things there are that you could potentially procrastinate on for the rest of your life.........wouldn't be lazy though. :D

:D

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
You can define laziness

What is lazy? not doing anything? sleeping and procrastinating. or generally avoiding work? Lack of self-discipline?

I usually spend half a day working and another half of my day fucking around and doing nothing. Because I don't believe in letting work dominating my life. When you work, you are really improving your brain rather than doing work for work's sake. Becuase in the end, it all goes back to the brain.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

True! You can be very active, multi-tasking all the time, yet not reach the "end" of anything, even though no one would call that "lazy."