User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    I've always wondered what 'research' they performed to draw their conclusions. I may have missed it, but I've always assumed their lack of statistics means it's largely anecdotal evidence.

To me, that site has some interesting ideas - ideas very much worth pondering - but I wouldn't assume it to be a theory based off of any empirical evidence.
    That seems to be the case for a lot of sources that list "best matches" for different types. And there's also a lot of disagreement between sources on what the best matches are. I've seen one that promotes "duality pairs" with only the J or P in common, one that recommends couples share their S-N preference but differ on the other three, one that correlated relationship satisfaction with the number letters matched in the type code, some that say its best to find someone with the same dominant function in the opposite orientation (Ti-dom matched with Te-dom, for example), one that has different best matches for different genders, etc. And I haven't come across evidence supporting any one of these theories in favor of another. The Personality Desk link above is one of the few that gives any statistics.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    I refuse to accept any source that states "Women married to INTP men had the highest level of dissatisfaction, at 31%" on the basis of sheer optimism.
    This is bad science to say the least.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

Socionics suggests matching types by common cognitive functions. If you are INTP for example then good matches are ISFJ ESFJ ENTP because these four types have same valued functions: Ti, Ne, Si, Fe. If you are INFJ then good matches are ISFP, ENTJ, ESFP for the same reason that these four types share all valued cognitive functions.

More information: Intertype Relationships

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

There are many theories regarding intertype compatibility. Socionics' Intertype relations is one of them. What I like about it is that it goes off of functions, although there could be some trouble spots with the preferences themselves, such as S/N and T/F. Another one is Keirsey's model, where all a pair has in common is an S or N preference (so for instance, he says a pair like ISTP and ENFJ are incompatable, but ISTP and ESFJ are). I think it's defintely a model worth considering, as Keirsey says it's been effective for a while. Then there is the model at Personality Page, where pairs have the same dominant function in an opposite orientation (i.e. switch the E/I and the J/P). However what I don't like about that model is that it doesn't work for all types, particularly the Sensing and Thinking types (ESTJ falls dead last on my compatibility list). I've checked out the data at Personality Desk and I approve... mostly.

This is also worth checking out.
    Thinkist: not optimist nor pessimist. I am primarily competent in the enneagram.
    SX 9w1, SP 5w6, SP 3w4 | Split with the first two
    Ti-Se-Si-Ni-Te-Fi-Ne-Fe. I'm always questioning this, particularly the Si.
    Big 5/Global5/SLOAN: RCUEX

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

I can't find the study, but I remember reading one that said that the more letters couples had in common, the more happiness and satisfaction they reported long term with an exception or two (I think ESTP was one of them). They suggested that with the exception of highly-dominate personality types, that people generally are happier with those who are most similar to them.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

The exceptions were ESTP men with INFJ women, and ESTJ men with INFP women. Even then, it's not that they were highly compatible, they were just notably more compatible than other opposite type pairings.

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

I know the study you are speaking of Udog. This one: http://www.selfhelpmagazine.com/arti...s-briggs-types I remember that one well because it says there is an 83% chance I can satisfy you

This was a different one, but they both came to largely the same conclusions.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Alas, the same article says there's only a 69% chance that I'd satisfy you. I guess it must be the INFP's bad boy ways. We don't mean to break hearts, but it's just in our nature.

But yeah, I think the other study broke it down into number of common letters a bit more.

Yuck. I'd never want to be paired with another dominant feeler. Gimme opposite all the way.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sulfit View Post
    Socionics suggests matching types by common cognitive functions. If you are INTP for example then good matches are ISFJ ESFJ ENTP because these four types have same valued functions: Ti, Ne, Si, Fe. If you are INFJ then good matches are ISFP, ENTJ, ESFP for the same reason that these four types share all valued cognitive functions.

More information: Intertype Relationships
    How many thousands of times must I say that SOCIONICS TYPES AND MBTI TYPES ARE NOT HARD CORRELATED!!!!!!!

ISFJs can be ESIs, which would be a disaster for your typical LII INTP (or they could be an ESI and ILI couple). ESFJs can just as easily be SEE, which would also be disastrous.

ISFPs are typically SEI, ESFJs seem to be commonly ESE, ENTP is pretty straight up ILE and sometimes LIE, and INTP isn't really correlated to any certain type, but they seem to stay within the NTs. I've seen ILI, LII, and ILE INTPs. But SEI, ESE, ILE, and LII make up the Alpha quadra.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)