• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tomboys

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What is a boy called that has a preference for mostly female friends ? Not that I know one
No clue, but that was me to an extent, growing up. I was the "sweet, sensitive boy" that that kind of thing did not me popular among other guys though it apparently endeared me to my female classmates. :D

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is a boy called that has a preference for mostly female friends ? Not that I know one
Effeminate refers to a male having feminine or overly refined qualities. That's the closest term I know to be equivalent with "tomboy" which I didn't think referred specifically to having male friends, but to have "boyish" qualities.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In reading this thread, I think everyone has a different idea of a tomboy. I don't think a tomboy is someone who does it for social approval. The reason NTs don't seem like tomboys to me is because they lean more towards being intellectuals and nerds. These are the people that can get beat up by tomboys. [edit] Actually reading the Wiki entry the term does include intellectuals for some bizarre reason. I'm guessing the entry was written by them city folk. [/edit]

I grew up in Wyoming surrounded by very ESTP style tomboys. They drive trucks, drink hard, tell dirty jokes, get in fist fights, walk in a masculine manner, etc. There is never a question as to whether or not they could beat the crap out of you or if they could fix their own car. These are not NT women. In my opinion, I'll have to say that I do think my Wyoming tomboys are pretty authentic.

[edit]I think excelling at sports is another defining feature of a tomboy that is also not intellectually based. ST seems extremely more tomboy-ish than NT. Tomboys aren't abstract theoreticians. I think alot of STs actually identify as NTs online which can blur the issue.
That's an interesting point - I guess its all relative to your culture. I would say New Zealand culture in general is more masculine (not quite to Wyoming standards though!) so what would be considered ordinary behaviour for a woman here, would be considered 'tomboyish' in another country. I remember reading this article by a NZ woman who went to live in New York and it was hilarious. She throught if she threw on a 'nice frock' and a bit of make up before hitting the town she would blend in with the locals. In actuality the local women are plucked, preened, styled and made-up within an inch of their lives, and she was referred to as 'kinda feral'.

God knows what they would think of me! :D

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No clue, but that was me to an extent, growing up. I was the "sweet, sensitive boy" that that kind of thing did not me popular among other guys though it apparently endeared me to my female classmates. :D

Effeminate refers to a male having feminine or overly refined qualities. That's the closest term I know to be equivalent with "tomboy" which I didn't think referred specifically to having male friends, but to have "boyish" qualities.

Sissy Boy, Girlie Man, Edahn, something along those lines.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Lmao .. i was going to say a boy with feminine qualities .. Gay
I'm perfectly straight! :)

The most butch and macho guy I know is gay, and several ancient Greek cities had elite military units that were only open to gay guys. The "gay = effeminate" notion is merely bigoted nonsense.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
In reading this thread, I think everyone has a different idea of a tomboy. I don't think a tomboy is someone who does it for social approval.

Good point. I don't NEED social approval for anything. I live with the consequences for my actions not society so why should i give a damn what anyone else thinks.

I will one day buy myself a truck (a chunky black Warrior), i don't drink but i do tell dirty jokes, i don't get into fist fights as i am a mum but if i ever needed to i wouldn't be slapping and pulling hair and i do walk in a masculine manner. Have to add, on Thursday i am meeting ex-work colleagues as it is our '6 months since we were made redundant' reunion. I will be wearing a dress with heels (god help me) but i will be wearing trousers under the dress. lol

I'm perfectly straight! :)

The most butch and macho guy I know is gay, and several ancient Greek cities had elite military units that were only open to gay guys. The "gay = effeminate" notion is merely bigoted nonsense.

Where did i say you are not straight???? Good for you, whatever floats your boat. I see you don't have a sense of humour. Time to stop taking life so seriously.

So the gay person you knew was butch. Great. The 3 i worked with and class as my friends were all very feminine. Does it bother me. I don't give a flying fig. Society likes to give people labels. Actually ask a gay person if they care about that label .. They will most probably tell you no. Just as i don't care being given the label 'tomboy', 'teenage mum' (well back in the day), 'single parent', soon to be 'divorcee' .. Ever been to a 'gay pride parade' .. because they are all dudes in suits, very masculine, oh what bigoted nonsense .. Jeez.

INFPtheQuietOne

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yes, ISFPs and ESFPs are tomboys since they have Se, also ENFJs, INFJs, and ENFPs. And not all Ts are tomboys, ISTJ girls in particular aren't always this. As far as I know in my experience,
Tomboys: SP, N, ET, ESFJ (some are girly though), sometimes ISTJ
And effeminate males are INFPs, or NFs.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was a tomboy growing up. But not in a self-conscious way. As in, I didn't really realize that my interest were all that ungirly as a kid until I was in college and thinking back on it. I didn't really reject girl stuff so much as I just didn't have time for it, and didn't really understand it. Purses were less convenient than cargo pants. Barbies were less interesting than Gameboys. Odd female social rituals just went over my head, and other girls just tended to stress me out. I just did my own thing.

Anyways, TL;DR--:notype:

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My wife claims she was a tomboy.... She loved softball, climbed trees, played with the boys, didn't dress very feminine, etc.

She thinks she can do things like car repairs and household repairs, but she is clueless and worse, destructive. She told me she once changed out an engine, but it was her ESFP father and her ISTP brother, she just watched and added unneeded criticism.

She was a walking repair disaster. But she believes she knows how to critique every repair.....

She liked camping, but had never done any serious hiking or backpacking until I introduced her to it. She mildly enjoys playing sports and watching sports, but not football or soccer.

I believe her to be a ISFP.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm sure I was a tomboy. I think that had more to do with environment than type for me, as a kid. Now I don't care. I can change a tire, change my oil, fix a toilet, replace a faucet...etc. I look at those as great skills to have. It doesn't mean I want to do them though - I would prefer to pay someone. My ENFJ is fantastic around the house building and fixing things but he doesn't have the time. He only recently got on the outsourcing bandwagon I've been driving for awhile.

CakeByTheOcean

Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm definitely what I call "a guy's girl." Almost all of my friends are guys. I just don't get on well with girls, & the ones I do are usually pretty tomboyish themselves. Most of my close guy friends call me a tomboy, since I like sports & cars. I much prefer playing hoops than shopping. I'm not quite sure why, but the girls I'm somewhat friendly with in my dorm never invite me out with them. I used to NEVER wear makeup, but now I usually wear just foundation, because my face is naturally pretty red.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was one when I was little. My excessively competitive ways did not sit well with most other females around, it was always "dial it down". Which I was having none of. Plus I received special treatment from the boys as "only girl in the group", to the extent of being in charge, so I was pleased being that it's the only way I can exist in a group.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I used to be a tomboy. And then I realized I was just a boy.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been through that tomboy stage, but now I'm a girly girl :smile:
Though when I have online heated debates in my native language, I usually get mistaken for a man..