Thread: Tomboys

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    What is a boy called that has a preference for mostly female friends ? Not that I know one
    No clue, but that was me to an extent, growing up. I was the "sweet, sensitive boy" that that kind of thing did not me popular among other guys though it apparently endeared me to my female classmates.
    Autistic INFP

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    What is a boy called that has a preference for mostly female friends ? Not that I know one
    Effeminate refers to a male having feminine or overly refined qualities. That's the closest term I know to be equivalent with "tomboy" which I didn't think referred specifically to having male friends, but to have "boyish" qualities.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    In reading this thread, I think everyone has a different idea of a tomboy. I don't think a tomboy is someone who does it for social approval. The reason NTs don't seem like tomboys to me is because they lean more towards being intellectuals and nerds. These are the people that can get beat up by tomboys. [edit] Actually reading the Wiki entry the term does include intellectuals for some bizarre reason. I'm guessing the entry was written by them city folk. [/edit]

I grew up in Wyoming surrounded by very ESTP style tomboys. They drive trucks, drink hard, tell dirty jokes, get in fist fights, walk in a masculine manner, etc. There is never a question as to whether or not they could beat the crap out of you or if they could fix their own car. These are not NT women. In my opinion, I'll have to say that I do think my Wyoming tomboys are pretty authentic.

[edit]I think excelling at sports is another defining feature of a tomboy that is also not intellectually based. ST seems extremely more tomboy-ish than NT. Tomboys aren't abstract theoreticians. I think alot of STs actually identify as NTs online which can blur the issue.
    That's an interesting point - I guess its all relative to your culture. I would say New Zealand culture in general is more masculine (not quite to Wyoming standards though!) so what would be considered ordinary behaviour for a woman here, would be considered 'tomboyish' in another country. I remember reading this article by a NZ woman who went to live in New York and it was hilarious. She throught if she threw on a 'nice frock' and a bit of make up before hitting the town she would blend in with the locals. In actuality the local women are plucked, preened, styled and made-up within an inch of their lives, and she was referred to as 'kinda feral'.

God knows what they would think of me!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    No clue, but that was me to an extent, growing up. I was the "sweet, sensitive boy" that that kind of thing did not me popular among other guys though it apparently endeared me to my female classmates.
    Effeminate refers to a male having feminine or overly refined qualities. That's the closest term I know to be equivalent with "tomboy" which I didn't think referred specifically to having male friends, but to have "boyish" qualities.
    Sissy Boy, Girlie Man, Edahn, something along those lines.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Sissy Boy, Girlie Man, Edahn, something along those lines.
    Lmao .. i was going to say a boy with feminine qualities .. Gay
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Lmao .. i was going to say a boy with feminine qualities .. Gay
    I'm perfectly straight!

The most butch and macho guy I know is gay, and several ancient Greek cities had elite military units that were only open to gay guys. The "gay = effeminate" notion is merely bigoted nonsense.
    Autistic INFP

MBTI
    ESFJ

In reading this thread, I think everyone has a different idea of a tomboy. I don't think a tomboy is someone who does it for social approval.
    Good point. I don't NEED social approval for anything. I live with the consequences for my actions not society so why should i give a damn what anyone else thinks.

I will one day buy myself a truck (a chunky black Warrior), i don't drink but i do tell dirty jokes, i don't get into fist fights as i am a mum but if i ever needed to i wouldn't be slapping and pulling hair and i do walk in a masculine manner. Have to add, on Thursday i am meeting ex-work colleagues as it is our '6 months since we were made redundant' reunion. I will be wearing a dress with heels (god help me) but i will be wearing trousers under the dress. lol

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    I'm perfectly straight!

The most butch and macho guy I know is gay, and several ancient Greek cities had elite military units that were only open to gay guys. The "gay = effeminate" notion is merely bigoted nonsense.
    Where did i say you are not straight???? Good for you, whatever floats your boat. I see you don't have a sense of humour. Time to stop taking life so seriously.

So the gay person you knew was butch. Great. The 3 i worked with and class as my friends were all very feminine. Does it bother me. I don't give a flying fig. Society likes to give people labels. Actually ask a gay person if they care about that label .. They will most probably tell you no. Just as i don't care being given the label 'tomboy', 'teenage mum' (well back in the day), 'single parent', soon to be 'divorcee' .. Ever been to a 'gay pride parade' .. because they are all dudes in suits, very masculine, oh what bigoted nonsense .. Jeez.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Oh yeah, I bet there are plenty of STP girls that are tomboys. Not so sure about the SFP girls.
    <<tomboy

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Fi

Yes, ISFPs and ESFPs are tomboys since they have Se, also ENFJs, INFJs, and ENFPs. And not all Ts are tomboys, ISTJ girls in particular aren't always this. As far as I know in my experience,
    Tomboys: SP, N, ET, ESFJ (some are girly though), sometimes ISTJ
    And effeminate males are INFPs, or NFs.
    I am extremely quiet, an outcast, and conflict-avoidant. But I also have strengths too, that I can forgive you all because you are unique and special. I kill with kindness, hating violence and social conflicts. People always bully me into actually talking, but I can't. Just be your true self and know your strengths and weaknesses. Some weaknesses we cannot change, but work on your strengths, forgive, and accept that.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I was a tomboy growing up. But not in a self-conscious way. As in, I didn't really realize that my interest were all that ungirly as a kid until I was in college and thinking back on it. I didn't really reject girl stuff so much as I just didn't have time for it, and didn't really understand it. Purses were less convenient than cargo pants. Barbies were less interesting than Gameboys. Odd female social rituals just went over my head, and other girls just tended to stress me out. I just did my own thing.

Anyways, TL;DR--
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :happy2: