User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Tomboys

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

lol

I liked one of the girls pretty much and a few years later, we eventually met again.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah I wouldn't call liking females as friends just being straight. There should be some sort of term... Hmm.

I actually really like having female friends. We can be a bit flirty and realize it's all just for fun. A lot of my female friends I wouldn't really want to get more serious with, or they would be uninterested in me in that way, etc. I can turn myself off of someone, so it's smooth sailing.

Having friends of both genders is rewarding in different ways, you get different mental gratification.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Ya indeed. I still have the phaenomenom today tho that I dont share the topics of discussion with most of my male buddies. I am never informed about the actual transfer market in soccer and some crude jokes pass by me completly.

Its always a huge time of fun to go out drinking and its common that something cruel to someone will happen, you can have a lot of fun with . But intellectual stimuli in that round = zero . I am convinced tho its me, being not that open as I am prolly supposed to be.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    <<<< Is a tomboy.

As a young child, although i was very maternal towards my brother. I never felt i was a girl. I had one doll that i used to bash against the wall holding one leg. (shudders). I have never been into make-up or dressing up (although i do now own foundation, lol which is applied occasionally). I now own 2 dresses, but i would rather wear jeans or trousers. I can't stand shopping for clothes, shoes etc. I do not do fluffy, pink and now i am separated from hubby, my hair is short.

I have never wanted girls so i am incredibly grateful i have 2 boys.
    LOL you sound a lot like me. Except I don't own a single dress or skirt. I might get one someday but its not like its the top of my list. At this point I will recite a Katherine Hepburn quote from a Barbara Walters interview

Barbara Walters: So, Kate, do you even own a skirt?
    Katharine Hepburn: I own one, Barbara. I shall wear it to your funeral.
    BTW, you know that there have been scientific studies that prove 'tomboys' (or at least more masculine women) statistically tend to have sons rather than daughters.

MBTI
    INFP

As has been said, I think it depends on the tomboy in question. Most of the girls I've known who would call themselves tomboys are the ones who prefer to hang out with guys (with as few other girls around as possible). This could be the case for any number of reasons. Generally they find girls to be too bitchy and political. Generally they also enjoy having their feminity emphasized by being the only girl present. No direct source of comparison/competition. Sometimes they have father issues and have spent their formative years avoiding anything derided by guys as "girly", to better win masculine approval. They've admitted this themselves. I'm not saying that this is the case for all tomboys, or even most. Just most of the ones I've known. On that basis, it's hard for me to identify any types being particularly partial to tomboyism. Insecurity transcends type.

Or maybe they were never properly tomboys in the first place.

who are

I was definitely a tomboy when I was little. My best friends were boys and I was the only girl at one of their parties. I have three brothers, though, so maybe that explains it. Now I guess I'm a little less of a tomboy.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    LOL you sound a lot like me. Except I don't own a single dress or skirt. I might get one someday but its not like its the top of my list. At this point I will recite a Katherine Hepburn quote from a Barbara Walters interview

BTW, you know that there have been scientific studies that prove 'tomboys' (or at least more masculine women) statistically tend to have sons rather than daughters.
    lol .. good for you. I am trying to become more feminized .. i am just taking it slowly .

I wasn't aware of the studies. Pretty cool though. If i had of had a girl, it would of looked like a boy anyway. On that note though, my cousin had a baby girl tonight. With myself, brother, step sister, and cousin there are 6 boys and only 2 girls.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

NT women seem to be tomboys as a rule, rather than an exception.

I don't think you could say the same about NFs, SJs, and SPs.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

In reading this thread, I think everyone has a different idea of a tomboy. I don't think a tomboy is someone who does it for social approval. The reason NTs don't seem like tomboys to me is because they lean more towards being intellectuals and nerds. These are the people that can get beat up by tomboys. [edit] Actually reading the Wiki entry the term does include intellectuals for some bizarre reason. I'm guessing the entry was written by them city folk. [/edit]

I grew up in Wyoming surrounded by very ESTP style tomboys. They drive trucks, drink hard, tell dirty jokes, get in fist fights, walk in a masculine manner, etc. There is never a question as to whether or not they could beat the crap out of you or if they could fix their own car. These are not NT women. In my opinion, I'll have to say that I do think my Wyoming tomboys are pretty authentic.

[edit]I think excelling at sports is another defining feature of a tomboy that is also not intellectually based. ST seems extremely more tomboy-ish than NT. Tomboys aren't abstract theoreticians. I think alot of STs actually identify as NTs online which can blur the issue.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Oh yeah, I bet there are plenty of STP girls that are tomboys. Not so sure about the SFP girls.