• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

You Complete Me! A MBTI Romance

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
The thought has sprung to my head--it's been there ofttimes before but I'm just filling it out a bit now--that repeated like mantra is the fact the basing compatibility on this nebulous idea of type is should be taken with a Gibraltar sized grain of salt. But when I see people wanting certain types I'm thinking they want to conform the some type of romantic archetypes that are repeatedly played out in our culture. These can be roughly mapped to the expectations people seem to have regarding type compatibility and romantic relationships.

I notice that (n)FP/(n)TJ dynamic seems very Mary Sue in terms of the FP thinking they'll chill or thaw the arctic TJ heart. It's very romance book. I stopped reading them at 18. The FP/TJ dynamic can also turn quite sadomasochistic a la Secretary. Or the free-spirited FP will loosen up the buttoned-down business suited TJ. Also, the TJ controls the FP so firmly that her (yes her), only release is to paint, or write. Or the FP expects the TJ to bring some type of order to her(!) life due to her inability to consistently order her life in any functional way. Eventually the FP will come to resent this relentless control that she herself wanted at first and her desire to escape and involve herself in romantic escapades will result in some torrid and ill-fated affair. Or she'll just journal and daydream about it. Or, various assortment of FPs are battling against some TJ machine to stop the destruction of a local wildlife habitat to make way for an upscale strip mall and somehow fall in love. But that's just a variant of the FP thawing the TJ heart.

I don't really find that same dynamic in the TP/FJ relationship although it could be going over my head. It seems like everything involving FJs and TPs has a mothering, finger-wagging overtone. At least the FPs and TJs get to have some sexual tension. Maybe there's some sexual tension if the FJ is semi witty and not clutching her pearls, fanning herself, and oh dearing about anything that comes out of the TPs mouth. More often than not I think the mythology and lore surrounding this is the FJ tries to get the TP to "grow up" and mature and take responsibility. Oftentimes, the FJ is an overbearing, ballbusting, status seeker and the TP is a schlumpy but good-natured guy or still wants to rock out with the band or follow his dream of being a hardcore rapper. In this incarnation the FJ will makeover the TP but he will eventually resent the person he's become: a TJ. Conversely the TP gets the FJ to loosen up and learn to laugh and enjoy life or some other such nonsense after she breaks the heel of her $750 pair of shoes in the rain and they fall in a muddy and coolant-filled puddle laughing hysterically. At best, the FJ is long-suffering and patient, always there to clean-up the TPs schemes gone awry. The TP may also be beaten into submission so thoroughly by the FJ that he becomes "Yes, dear" and asks the FJ what color and pattern of underwear is acceptable for him to wear.

FJ/TJ seems to be that overachieving power couple who cares nothing more than about their status: Luxury Car CHECK. Yacht decked at nearest harbor CHECK. Tony house/apartment/condo in upscale neighborhood CHECK. Children attending most expensive private school available CHECK. Powerful six figure job CHECK. Empty and loveless relationship CHECK. Uninvolved with children other than what they achieve CHECK.

FP/TP I think is far less severe mostly seeming like the laid back couple who are lovable goof-ups. Irresponsible but that's OK! Each thinks the other is a cool gf or bf or wife, husband, or partner. Problems only arise when the extroverted judging world impedes upon their lives by asking them to mow their lawn because an unidentified animal attacked a neighborhood child. (Un)fortunately for them it was the FJ/TJ's kid and they intend to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. If the child survives, he (yes he...he is an FP who was in the process of running away from the TJ/FJ home. The lack of warmth was killing his soul and he just got cut from the junior varsity Golf team) will write the next great American novel based on his upper-middle class but void existence. He now resides in Soho, NYC with his ambiguously classified "life partner" who is also a writer. His memoirs are now a major motion picture starring Kate Winslet and Joaquin Phoenix. He doesn't give interviews, please contact his literary agent.

Then we can break it down into FP/FP, TJ/TJ, FJ/FJ, TP/TP but I don't have enough archetypes immediately available to me right now.

Basically it seems to me that stereotypically the FP/TJ and FJ/TP has that ooey gooey Jerry McGuire "You Complete Me" goop entrenched deeply into people's minds with little deviation. You can see this echoed on the forum by the numerous IxTJ/ENFP threads and ENTP/INFJ threads.

Are these archetypes mere fantasies or are they a mirror of reality?

Yeah, I really hate romance movies and that's all that seems to be on on the beautiful Saturday afternoon. The life of an extrovert with nothing to do is a sad one.:cry:

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Conversely the TP gets the FJ to loosen up and learn to laugh and enjoy life or some other such nonsense after she breaks the heel of her $750 pair of shoes in the rain and they fall in a muddy and coolant-filled puddle laughing hysterically

WTF, 750 ? srsly protean? You need to hang out with Kantgirl :yes:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I know!

But I took the whale sperm vow as well so I think I'm competitive.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Protean, whenever you post you manage to crack me up. But I don't see much truth in the TP/FJ dynamic when it comes to NFJs and NTPs. My experience with NTPs hasn't been anything like that. Also, the situation could be very different with two introverts or two extraverts vs an introvert and an extravert together.

Vanitas

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I've been wondering. Why would some think that we're 'incomplete' with our frozen (read : just asking to be thawed) hearts? As if we're the modern damsels, need to be saved from our icy shells by The Power of Love(tm).

I got most interference from F friends who constantly try to matchmake me to happiness. xD

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Interesting topic. Don't know enough about the topic to say much, but I'm quite interested to see how this discussion goes.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a theory about tertiary-primary attractions that may fit here, but I have to type it up first.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
It seems like everything involving FJs and TPs has a mothering, finger-wagging overtone. At least the FPs and TJs get to have some sexual tension. Maybe there's some sexual tension if the FJ is semi witty and not clutching her pearls, fanning herself, and oh dearing about anything that comes out of the TPs mouth. More often than not I think the mythology and lore surrounding this is the FJ tries to get the TP to "grow up" and mature and take responsibility. Oftentimes, the FJ is an overbearing, ballbusting, status seeker and the TP is a schlumpy but good-natured guy or still wants to rock out with the band or follow his dream of being a hardcore rapper. In this incarnation the FJ will makeover the TP but he will eventually resent the person he's become: a TJ. Conversely the TP gets the FJ to loosen up and learn to laugh and enjoy life or some other such nonsense after she breaks the heel of her $750 pair of shoes in the rain and they fall in a muddy and coolant-filled puddle laughing hysterically. At best, the FJ is long-suffering and patient, always there to clean-up the TPs schemes gone awry. The TP may also be beaten into submission so thoroughly by the FJ that he becomes "Yes, dear" and asks the FJ what color and pattern of underwear is acceptable for him to wear.

FP/TP I think is far less severe mostly seeming like the laid back couple who are lovable goof-ups. Irresponsible but that's OK! Each thinks the other is a cool gf or bf or wife, husband, or partner. Problems only arise when the extroverted judging world impedes upon their lives by asking them to mow their lawn because an unidentified animal attacked a neighborhood child. (Un)fortunately for them it was the FJ/TJ's kid and they intend to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. If the child survives, he (yes he...he is an FP who was in the process of running away from the TJ/FJ home. The lack of warmth was killing his soul and he just got cut from the junior varsity Golf team) will write the next great American novel based on his upper-middle class but void existence. He now resides in Soho, NYC with his ambiguously classified "life partner" who is also a writer. His memoirs are now a major motion picture starring Kate Winslet and Joaquin Phoenix. He doesn't give interviews, please contact his literary agent.

:laugh:

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
In this incarnation the FJ will makeover the TP but he will eventually resent the person he's become: a TJ

Which is why the FJ should just go for a TJ.:D:blush:

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Yay for FP/TP! Sounds like a whirl-wind romance.

What about NJ/SP, NP/SJ, NJ/SJ, and NP/SP?

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
FJ/TJ seems to be that overachieving power couple who cares nothing more than about their status: Luxury Car CHECK. Yacht decked at nearest harbor CHECK. Tony house/apartment/condo in upscale neighborhood CHECK. Children attending most expensive private school available CHECK. Powerful six figure job CHECK. Empty and loveless relationship CHECK. Uninvolved with children other than what they achieve CHECK.

So very true.....:ohmy:

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
FJ/TJ seems to be that overachieving power couple who cares nothing more than about their status...
Uninvolved with children other than what they achieve CHECK.

So that's where all the super-efficient, overachieving evil masterminds that seek to destroy the world because they themselves were not loved as children come from.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

:yim_rolling_on_the_

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Protean, I applaud you!
:rofl1:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

:yim_rolling_on_the_ Yes that's so us. I'm sorry, of course I know there are couples just like this but it's quite far removed from ENFJ man and I. I will agree that one of us has a six figure income. That's about it.