• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTJs in cognito as INTJs?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, computer programming is ideally suited for ISTJs. Many ISTJs misidentify themselves as INTJs.

The funny thing is, you could post this on just about any random thread and it will make as much sense.
Yes.
Sense is inborn.
Not an article you can trade, sell or buy.
But of course you may try.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd say probably you'll find (as an average) that ISTJ's are coders/testers and the INTJ's are the project managers. The ENTJ's are the client facing consultants/sales.
In the real world (today and for the last 5 years or so), the vast majority of ISTJ work, except systems administration, has been outsourced to third world countries. In software, intuitive people are all they want in the US at most companies anymore, because they can do both (developers and consultants (but not coders) are almost invariably intuitive types). There are a couple times I've found them in the real world still in employment as coders, but they are becoming increasingly rare. I don't know where most of the displaced ISTJs work now, but it's probably in accounting (which is, curiously-enough, something that coders often do at some point in their careers, and something in which I've never had the slightest interest).

In ancient software development companies, maybe, but those have almost all gone the way of the dinosaur.

ferunandesu

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
Every person has an iNtuitive function that they use, just as everyone has a Sensing, Thinking and Feeling function. This is important to remember.

It's also important to remember that frequency of use is only a third of the story. There's also quality, and all N's aren't created equal. Also, intuition doesn't serve the same purpose in all types.

Last edited:

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
In the real world (today and for the last 5 years or so), the vast majority of ISTJ work, except systems administration, has been outsourced to third world countries. In software, intuitive people are all they want in the US at most companies anymore, because they can do both (developers and consultants (but not coders) are almost invariably intuitive types). There are a couple times I've found them in the real world still in employment as coders, but they are becoming increasingly rare. I don't know where most of the displaced ISTJs work now, but it's probably in accounting (which is, curiously-enough, something that coders often do at some point in their careers, and something in which I've never had the slightest interest).

In ancient software development companies, maybe, but those have almost all gone the way of the dinosaur.

I've noticed a number of "testers" have part accounting qualifications. But Corporate accounting / systems accounting / systems implementation / testing is a connected route really. Most accountants have the same mindset as coders/testers.

Accounting process jobs are being shed to offshoring in huge numbers now... so coders to accountants is just a continual line "towards the edge".