• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you quickly identify types?

KarenParker

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Lately, when I meet someone I quickly try to identify which type they are for fun. It's much easier for me when I think about the whole personality type in a sort of cartoon version. For example, my friend's dad is always improving his home (which he is very proud of) and the biggest compliment you could give him is ask for seconds when he cooks. So I immediately thought, "ESFJ." How do you think of each type in a sort of cartoon version like that? Another example would be "I can quickly identify an ESFP because they act like life's a constant party."

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depends on their threads started to posts ratio.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
It seems like you know some of the generalities. You just need to keep stacking up little identifiers like that to get a quicker and more accurate idea of someone's type.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It seems like you know some of the generalities. You just need to keep stacking up little identifiers like that to get a quicker and more accurate idea of someone's type.

This is good advice. It's important to remember, though, that typology accuracy is directly proportional to amount of available data. The longer you've known someone and observed his/her behavior, the more accurately you can label him. You'll start to come up with more specific labels, like, "He's borderline INTP/INFP with a very strong I preference, but once in a while he gets into a really annoying J mood", etc.

Typing people upon first interaction is a lot of fun, but keep in mind that your first impression is just that: a first impression, which should always be subject to change as newer data becomes available.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Typing people upon first interaction is a lot of fun, but keep in mind that your first impression is just that: a first impression, which should always be subject to change as newer data becomes available.

Ditto.

deleted
Although for me it's like I either know their type for sure or I don't bother.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I try to look if they fit into 1 of the four categories:

1) unconventional, humourus, overbearing
2) people-oriented, impersonal, harmonical
3) insensitive, goal-oriented, keeping track
4) insightful, pragmatic, remarkable

After that I know their type.

What I still need to get to know then is the person behind it.

Therefore the above mentioned process is totally in vane.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know my functions. So, I try to see whether they are E/I, then S/N, then T/F, then J/P. But, this is incorrect. What I should really do is just narrow down their top two functions, and this should get me 90% of the way there.

Usually, the E/I is the easiest for me to guage though.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
in person usually within a minute. on the internet it depends on the info.

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I don't know my functions. So, I try to see whether they are E/I, then S/N, then T/F, then J/P. But, this is incorrect. What I should really do is just narrow down their top two functions, and this should get me 90% of the way there.

That's how it usually goes for me.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

No, this is not incorrect. This is the basis for MBTI--it was influenced by Jung, but it's not the same thing, and it gets kind of vague and not so useful once you start trying to associate behaviors in other people with exact functions.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
S/N is the first thing I get a feel for, usually. Not always, but often. T/F comes next, and E/I and J/P are the ones that are most likely to trip me up. It's deceptively hard to tell whether people are introverted or extraverted on first acquaintance. And then there are some people who are so balanced that it's hard to type them at all.