User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are people more introverted these days?

Senior Member Array

PLEASE don't confuse introversion with anti-social tendencies! Yes, I think people are more anti-social these days, if that's what you mean. They'd rather watch TV.

Banned Array

The world has indeed become more extraverted. I almost (Remember: almost) sympathise with Bin laden for wanting to kill America, since it created this damnable extravert culture. The increasing extraversion is bad for introverts. Everyone wanting to drag us out of our armor into the world just so that they can suck the life out of us. Being introverted is an insult. it connotates that you don't care about other people. I could go on for much longer on this, but I have a simpler soluion. Think of the phrase: Golden boy/girl. What are their phsyical and tempermental attributes? Respond below.

I absolutely agree: in order to be a golden B/G one has to be tall, good looking, ruthless and charming, brutal, direct, political, networking and focussed. in short: ExTJ
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Take a look at recent history. Better yet, look at the latter half of the 20th century...

With the age of the internet, cell phones, iPods, etc., do you think the world is more introverted in general now than it was before? People are being more independent, even marriage is less common now (and if it does happen, usually later on in life). That last statement may not say much, but in general, people's attitudes have changed. Face-to-face interaction is not as common as it used to be.

What's your take?
    I think increased independence is a good thing, because I think before people were pressured into suffering through a long-term connection to someone they might not have liked at all.

I have to admit, I used to assume everyone else was really Extraverted. But when I happened to go into an office at one point... I found that I hadn't really found my way into a different world at all. The people there were all sitting in front of their computers or listening to music, laughing at emails, with the stuff associated with their most recent project on the table next to them. Just like myself back at home. And they would just go through the same motions every day in a half-aware state. It was almost like there wasn't a "real world" out there at all, just what I was used to but on a larger scale.

I have to admit, while part of me is comforted that I'm clearly not the only rigid Introvert in the world, it was a little sad to realize that there's really not much out there except more paranoid, rigid people like me... going through their lives like zombies no longer feeling any attachment to anyone or anything, and just waiting for the next escape to an alternate world. Because there aren't a lot of options, opportunities, or things of real interest in the real one anymore.

It's kind of strange, and interesting.