• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stereotypical favourite bands of the types

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
For me, an INTP, I like: Tool, Disturbed, Soundgarden, White Stripes, Rolling Stones, Gorillaz, Jimi Hendrix, Charlie Parker (and most bebop in general), The Rat Pack (Sammy Davis Jr, Frank Sinatra, and Dean Martin), Stevie Wonder, and most Motown in general. Which of these are stereotypical? (NOTE: I'm a musician)
Tool would be. The rest, not so much. Not specifically, that is.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Stereotypical favourite bands:

INFP: The Shins, Nirvana, Pink Floyd
:blush: :yes:

But I like a range of bands and artists:

Radiohead, Neil Young, Beirut, Sufjan Stevens, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Ray Charles, Nirvana, The Fratellis, The Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire, Bread, CCR, Nina Simone, The Kinks, Broken Social Scene, Cat Stevens, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Devendra Banhart, Dusty Springfield, Liam Finn, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Crowded House, She & Him, Tapes 'n Tapes, The White Stripes, U2, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, David Bowie

I guess the freak folk and other indie folk-rock stuff is very INFP (or NF at least) but I do love a bit of hard rock on occasion. :headphne:

Oh, and I don't like Bjork and not that crazy about Bob Dylan. Does this mean I am to be shunned by all INFP kind? :huh:

Vanitas

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Metallica, Led Zeppelin and The Who proposed for ENTJ - right on!
Bod Marley, less so, tho it's ok for me.

Metallica and Led Zeppelin, sure. Not familiar with The Who, don't really like Marley.

I like The Killers. : ]

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Fit me into a stereotype and watch you FAIL!

I dig pop, metal, jazz, punk, hardcore, some rap, rock etc. Only style I'm really unwilling to listen to is Country.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess the freak folk and other indie folk-rock stuff is very INFP (or NF at least) but I do love a bit of hard rock on occasion. :headphne:

Oh, and I don't like Bjork and not that crazy about Bob Dylan. Does this mean I am to be shunned by all INFP kind? :huh:

I'm not a Bob Dylan fan either, and generally don't like folky music. I do tend to like "indie" & alternative types of music. I like a lot of indie dance music actually. INFPs can like happy & fun music, not all melancholy :D

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'll play...

INFJ - The Smiths, The Cure, Godspeed! You Black Emperor, Elliott Smith, Boards of Canada, Will Oldham, Dead Can Dance, Aimee Mann, Clinic

Yes to a lot of those. I'm starting to wonder whether all INFJs love Morrissey and The Smiths. I love a lot of what would probably be considered "INFP music" (i.e. folksy indie rock), but my favorites tend to have a little bite/humor/darkness to them.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't really like anything that's been mentioned here.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Per-genre would probably be more accurate and funnier. In lieu of that:

xNTJ - Rush
xNTP - NOFX
xSFJ - "Anything but rap!"
xSTJ - Van Morrison
xNFP - Joy Division
xNFJ - Pulp
xSFP - Huey Lewis and the News
xSTP - Slayer

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Per-genre would probably be more accurate and funnier. In lieu of that:

xNTJ - Rush
xNTP - NOFX
xSFJ - "Anything but rap!"
xSTJ - Van Morrison
xNFP - Joy Division
xNFJ - Pulp
xSFP - Huey Lewis and the News
xSTP - Slayer

I actually think that SFJ's would be into hip-hop.

UPDATE: I tied for first in a Morrissey lookalike contest last night at a bar night thing for Moz's 50th birthday. I won a vintage Smiths poster! :headphne:

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I actually think that SFJ's would be into hip-hop.
Well, hey -- with stereotypes we can never fully account. But you're right; my ISTP coworker has commented on his SJ wife's inexplicable interest in gangsta.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
May I claim Muse for the INFP's? Please?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Def. not ISFP. Two of my ISFP friends can't stand them. They are definitely a band that would appeal more to intuitives I feel (if you think about the lyrics).

ClasslessCrass

MBTI Type
INTP
Radiohead, definitely an INTJ/INTP band; the link between Morrissey and INFJ is also very apt. Bob Dylan is probably any IN- type and the CLash, i think, extends to INTP. Also, acts like Portishead/the doors/ APhex twin could be INTp.

I will add Joni Mitchell and Neil Young and Bright EYes as INFP.

Oh, the beatles...if you dont like the beatles get out of America.