12 Last

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Default Intro/Extro ...Ambi?

I was wondering about extroversion and introversion and the idea of ambiversion.

For some it is obvious that they are introverted and for some it is obvious that they are extroverted, but I think a majority of us can identify with both. In comes ambiversion. I think just like all other preferences people are either introverted or extroverted and they may move towards the opposite end of the spectrum and possibly even switch, but is it really possible to be an ambivert? If most of us identify with both, then aren't we all ambiverts?

My understanding of it is that either a vast majority of us are ambiverts or none of us are. If there truly is an ambivert, then where are the lines drawn? How would you know if you are truly "in the middle"?
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Azseroffs View Post
    My understanding of it is that either a vast majority of us are ambiverts or none of us are. If there truly is an ambivert, then where are the lines drawn? How would you know if you are truly "in the middle"?
    We draw our own lines. "Classical" introversion/extroversion, as well as each of the MBTI dichotomies, follows some unimodal distribution rather than a bimodal one. That means that most people fall somewhere in the middle instead of at either extreme. That's what makes this "typing" business so difficult.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i think the confusion comes from most peoples perception of introversion and extraversion. they have this idea in their head that all extraverts are loud in your face people while all introverts are quiet stand in the back people but a lot of people have learned a bit of social grace and actually know how to behave in social situations so you may not always be able to tell the difference.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

There is no ambivert in MBTI. The tests make it seem like this because they try to measure cognitive processes through behaviour.

Most people are ambiverts because they have learnt to balance the introverted and extraverted sides of their nature. That doesn't mean your dominant process will see saw.

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    We draw our own lines. "Classical" introversion/extroversion, as well as each of the MBTI dichotomies, follows some unimodal distribution rather than a bimodal one. That means that most people fall somewhere in the middle instead of at either extreme. That's what makes this "typing" business so difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i think the confusion comes from most peoples perception of introversion and extraversion. they have this idea in their head that all extraverts are loud in your face people while all introverts are quiet stand in the back people but a lot of people have learned a bit of social grace and actually know how to behave in social situations so you may not always be able to tell the difference.
    You're both missing the point.

I think greed is right. I think it is a unimodel of distribution. That's why the idea of ambiversion is so confusing. Is it like a gauge where there is 1/3 intro/ambi/extro, or is it intro and extro with ambiversion being dead center?

According to MBTI you would have to be dead center, in which case i ask: How would you know? i would think that first off it would be highly unlikely that you would or even could be dead center and it would be impossible to know for sure. So we might as well discard the whole idea of ambiversion. imo
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    So the combination of expressing as an extrovert and responding as an introvert may "average out" to a kind of "ambiversion". Another kind is to simply express as an ambivert. This is not covered in the letter code, but would basically refer to those who score very close in the I/E dimension and express only moderately.
    That makes a lot of sense, but isn't there still a preference for introversion or extroversion?
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx

I don't think Lady missed the point at all

In fact I think she is right on it

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I think greed is right. I think it is a unimodel of distribution. That's why the idea of ambiversion is so confusing. Is it like a gauge where there is 1/3 intro/ambi/extro, or is it intro and extro with ambiversion being dead center?

According to MBTI you would have to be dead center, in which case i ask: How would you know? i would think that first off it would be highly unlikely that you would or even could be dead center and it would be impossible to know for sure. So we might as well discard the whole idea of ambiversion. imo
    yeah...i don't know that i actually believe in ambiversion..i just think we all have varying strengths of preferences and a different manner in which we express them having more to do with upbringing or environmental conditioning then simply your four letter code.

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    I don't think Lady missed the point at all

In fact I think she is right on it
    and thanks unique.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

garbage

MBTI itself doesn't use ambiversion.. it would describe someone as "slightly expressed introvert" or "slightly expressed extrovert" instead.

Outside of MBTI, introversion/extroversion is a gradient, and ambiversion can be defined as "somewhere around the middle," not necessarily dead center. Based upon where one falls on the gradient, they are defined as an extrovert or an introvert. Ambiversion takes the same scale and dividing it into three parts rather than two. To use two categories would lump "slight introvert" in with "strong introvert"; to use three would lump "slight introvert" and "slight extrovert" together.

In some instances, it might be useful to include ambiversion. In others, such as defining function preferences, it wouldn't be.

"Ambivert" is probably more of a useful descriptor for someone who doesn't know which side of the introvert/extrovert scale he falls on.