• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intro/Extro ...Ambi?

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I was wondering about extroversion and introversion and the idea of ambiversion.

For some it is obvious that they are introverted and for some it is obvious that they are extroverted, but I think a majority of us can identify with both. In comes ambiversion. I think just like all other preferences people are either introverted or extroverted and they may move towards the opposite end of the spectrum and possibly even switch, but is it really possible to be an ambivert? If most of us identify with both, then aren't we all ambiverts?

My understanding of it is that either a vast majority of us are ambiverts or none of us are. If there truly is an ambivert, then where are the lines drawn? How would you know if you are truly "in the middle"?

G

garbage

My understanding of it is that either a vast majority of us are ambiverts or none of us are. If there truly is an ambivert, then where are the lines drawn? How would you know if you are truly "in the middle"?

We draw our own lines. "Classical" introversion/extroversion, as well as each of the MBTI dichotomies, follows some unimodal distribution rather than a bimodal one. That means that most people fall somewhere in the middle instead of at either extreme. That's what makes this "typing" business so difficult.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think the confusion comes from most peoples perception of introversion and extraversion. they have this idea in their head that all extraverts are loud in your face people while all introverts are quiet stand in the back people but a lot of people have learned a bit of social grace and actually know how to behave in social situations so you may not always be able to tell the difference.

wolfy

awsm
There is no ambivert in MBTI. The tests make it seem like this because they try to measure cognitive processes through behaviour.

Most people are ambiverts because they have learnt to balance the introverted and extraverted sides of their nature. That doesn't mean your dominant process will see saw.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
We draw our own lines. "Classical" introversion/extroversion, as well as each of the MBTI dichotomies, follows some unimodal distribution rather than a bimodal one. That means that most people fall somewhere in the middle instead of at either extreme. That's what makes this "typing" business so difficult.

i think the confusion comes from most peoples perception of introversion and extraversion. they have this idea in their head that all extraverts are loud in your face people while all introverts are quiet stand in the back people but a lot of people have learned a bit of social grace and actually know how to behave in social situations so you may not always be able to tell the difference.

You're both missing the point.

I think greed is right. I think it is a unimodel of distribution. That's why the idea of ambiversion is so confusing. Is it like a gauge where there is 1/3 intro/ambi/extro, or is it intro and extro with ambiversion being dead center?

According to MBTI you would have to be dead center, in which case i ask: How would you know? i would think that first off it would be highly unlikely that you would or even could be dead center and it would be impossible to know for sure. So we might as well discard the whole idea of ambiversion. imo

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
So the combination of expressing as an extrovert and responding as an introvert may "average out" to a kind of "ambiversion". Another kind is to simply express as an ambivert. This is not covered in the letter code, but would basically refer to those who score very close in the I/E dimension and express only moderately.

That makes a lot of sense, but isn't there still a preference for introversion or extroversion?

Unique

I don't think Lady missed the point at all

In fact I think she is right on it

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think greed is right. I think it is a unimodel of distribution. That's why the idea of ambiversion is so confusing. Is it like a gauge where there is 1/3 intro/ambi/extro, or is it intro and extro with ambiversion being dead center?

According to MBTI you would have to be dead center, in which case i ask: How would you know? i would think that first off it would be highly unlikely that you would or even could be dead center and it would be impossible to know for sure. So we might as well discard the whole idea of ambiversion. imo

yeah...i don't know that i actually believe in ambiversion..i just think we all have varying strengths of preferences and a different manner in which we express them having more to do with upbringing or environmental conditioning then simply your four letter code.

I don't think Lady missed the point at all

In fact I think she is right on it

and thanks unique. :smile:

G

garbage

MBTI itself doesn't use ambiversion.. it would describe someone as "slightly expressed introvert" or "slightly expressed extrovert" instead.

Outside of MBTI, introversion/extroversion is a gradient, and ambiversion can be defined as "somewhere around the middle," not necessarily dead center. Based upon where one falls on the gradient, they are defined as an extrovert or an introvert. Ambiversion takes the same scale and dividing it into three parts rather than two. To use two categories would lump "slight introvert" in with "strong introvert"; to use three would lump "slight introvert" and "slight extrovert" together.

In some instances, it might be useful to include ambiversion. In others, such as defining function preferences, it wouldn't be.

"Ambivert" is probably more of a useful descriptor for someone who doesn't know which side of the introvert/extrovert scale he falls on.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That makes a lot of sense, but isn't there still a preference for introversion or extroversion?

Greed just answered this well. In MBTI, there would still be a preference, though I/E might be close.
MBTI itself doesn't use ambiversion.. it would describe someone as "slightly expressed introvert" or "slightly expressed extrovert" instead.

Outside of MBTI, introversion/extroversion is a gradient, and ambiversion can be defined as "somewhere around the middle," not necessarily dead center. Based upon where one falls on the gradient, they are defined as an extrovert or an introvert. Ambiversion takes the same scale and dividing it into three parts rather than two. To use two categories would lump "slight introvert" in with "strong introvert"; to use three would lump "slight introvert" and "slight extrovert" together.

In some instances, it might be useful to include ambiversion. In others, such as defining function preferences, it wouldn't be.

"Ambivert" is probably more of a useful descriptor for someone who doesn't know which side of the introvert/extrovert scale he falls on.

Here is a new page listing the APS temperaments (the system I discuss), and there are a total of 17.
Pastoral-Counseling-Center
Compulsives are the extremes in both expressiveness and responsiveness. The pure extroverts or introverts, and/or directives or informatives. Phlegmatic and the hybrid temperaments that begin with "Phlegmatic" are your "ambiverts", in that they express moderately ("e" score of 4 or 5). However, they are still divided as to leaning on the E or I side (depending on the temperament Phlegmatic is blended with, which will either be on the E or I side; like Phlegmatic Melancholy {I} vs Phlegmatic Choleric {E}). Directly in the center would be a score of 4.5, which is not used. So even with the ambiversion recognized in this system, either I or E will still be preferred.

The hybrid temperaments that end in "Phlegmatic" are those that respond moderately (with high R "responding as an extrovert" and low R "responding as an introvert", and it is the same thing as far as the division of responding as an ambivert in favoring one or the other.

The pure (and compulsive) Choleric and Supine can also be seen as the other kind of ambiversion, as one expresses as an extrovert, but responds as an introvert, and the other responds as an introvert, but responds as an extrovert. The descriptions on this page even say the Supine "Is an extrovert, although he/she appears to be an introvert", and you can see it described as approaching very few people for interaction (which most people define introversion as), yet the high "want" is a kind of extroversion. (Perhaps this might explain all of these reported ENP's who seem introverted). I believe this temperament corresponds to Enneagram 6, which in that system, appears to be regarded as the ambivert, (while 9 (Phlegmatic) is regarded as an introvert, as it was an all the other temperament systems. On this page, for Phlegmatic, it says "Extrovert/introvert - relates well to tasks, systems and ideas and also relates well to people and is able to socialize when the need arises").

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I guess I can see the practical use of the word, but when it comes down to it I think we are all either introverted or extroverted.

yeah...i don't know that i actually believe in ambiversion..i just think we all have varying strengths of preferences and a different manner in which we express them having more to do with upbringing or environmental conditioning then simply your four letter code.

I totally agree. I'm sorry about being so blunt, I agree with what you said in your earlier post. It just didn't answer my question.