123 Last

Thread: The selfish Fi

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default The selfish Fi

Hmmmm....I have heard this thrown about occasionally on this forum. What brought it to mind is my experience with a superior at work who I believe displays Selfish Fi.
    Has any one seen this in action (examples please) and they dealt with it? Did you manage to type the person etc.
    I would like to to get at the heart of why Fi can seem selfish.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Moved to MBTI & Enneagram forum from Other Psychology Topics.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Which types exhibit Fi, and to what degree?

My basic idea of Fi is that it's personal values therefore it'll always be self-centered. Now depending on the things it adopts, it may or may not make the person seem selfish.

The quickest example would be someone sticking stubbornly to their ideaology refusing to listen to counterpoints. However this is among the more unhealthy Fi types.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Fi generally deals in personal values (as opposed to external, or group values). Introverted functions also deal in universals, which are technically "external", but go more in depth than agreed upon norms. It's this universal aspect that keeps Fi generally focused on others and not only on self. If you see someone being abused or whatever, this universal judgment is what kicks in, where Fe might just as well follow the group doing the abuse. Thus, FP's have been said to be "the most friendly", even moreso than the FJ's, who's J gives them a measure of task-focus.

However, when Fi's values are violated, that tends to be when the focus becomes squarey on the self over others. Hence, a stressed or unhealthy Fi.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

What about when some one throws a tanty, and bursts into tears over what is really an inconsquential detail i.e swapping from glass to plastic for OH and S issues.
    It didn't seem to be triggered by an abnormally stressed event, it seemed more of a control issue. The particular test it involved is not affected by either choice. She quite often displays derranged (yes, that word) value judgements, and reacts in the strangest way to things.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Whilst shopping for bedding for our new apartment, my former partner -- INFJ -- began to cry, right there in the store, when I suggested deep blue sheets to go with the maroon comforter she'd picked out.

In front of her parents, even. To further the awkward.

She justified it as a feeling of betrayal, because only moments before I had said that it didn't matter to me, and I'd allowed her to get her hopes up. But, uh. No, it was a control issue. Things had to be precisely the way she decided they did, or else. And clearly from my offhanded tone I was absolutely committed to the idea of blue, so ARGH WHY IS THIS MAN SO INFLEXIBLE. GOODBYE ALL-MAROON BED!

And that was just the start of the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    Whilst shopping for bedding for our new apartment, my former partner -- INFJ -- began to cry, right there in the store, when I suggested deep blue sheets to go with the maroon comforter she'd picked out.

In front of her parents, even. To further the awkward.

She justified it as a feeling of betrayal, because only moments before I had said that it didn't matter to me, and I'd allowed her to get her hopes up. But, uh. No, it was a control issue. Things had to be precisely the way she decided they did, or else. And clearly from my offhanded tone I was absolutely committed to the idea of blue, so ARGH WHY IS THIS MAN SO INFLEXIBLE. GOODBYE ALL-MAROON BED!

And that was just the start of the fun!
    Growing up, I had an INFJ best friend who would've done that. My INFJ mom thinks she was SPOI-LED.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

It wasn't until a year after we separated, and I finally took the initiative to break off contact with her, that I began to look back and realize -- hold on, she was a bit of a spoiled brat, wasn't she.

At the time, I just wondered what I'd done wrong. For four and a half years, just about every day, I found new reasons to wonder that.

Oy.

Well, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    It wasn't until a year after we separated, and I finally took the initiative to break off contact with her, that I began to look back and realize -- hold on, she was a bit of a spoiled brat, wasn't she.

At the time, I just wondered what I'd done wrong. For four and a half years, just about every day, I found new reasons to wonder that.

Oy.

Well, anyway.
    Haha... yeah, most INFJs wouldn't do that, I don't think.