User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Dominant Functions

I was just wondering, when a person has one function as their dominant, do they tend to develop both the introverted and extroverted versions of it - at least to a noticeable degree?

For example, my dominant function is Ni, but when i read the descriptions of Ne, they fit really well. Almost better than my supposed secondary function Fe. Then for secondary functions both Fe and Fi resonant to some extent. Once i get to the tertiary Ti, then i don't feel as much clarity with its opposite, Te, and then with the last Se, the introverted version is downright alien to me.

Is it possible that whatever function is your strongest has some tendency to develop both intro and extroverted dimensions to it? My emotional development was a little disrupted and now i wonder if i developed Ne instead of the extroverted Fe initially? I don't know if that makes any sense or not. I'm just going on what i know about myself and what i 'think' i know about MBTI so far.

What are your thoughts? Do you feel strong in both the I and E versions of your dominant function?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I was just wondering, when a person has one function as their dominant, do they tend to develop both the introverted and extroverted versions of it - at least to a noticeable degree?

For example, my dominant function is Ni, but when i read the descriptions of Ne, they fit really well. Almost better than my supposed secondary function Fe. Then for secondary functions both Fe and Fi resonant to some extent. Once i get to the tertiary Ti, then i don't feel as much clarity with its opposite, Te, and then with the last Se, the introverted version is downright alien to me.

Is it possible that whatever function is your strongest has some tendency to develop both intro and extroverted dimensions to it? My emotional development was a little disrupted and now i wonder if i developed Ne instead of the extroverted Fe initially? I don't know if that makes any sense or not. I'm just going on what i know about myself and what i 'think' i know about MBTI so far.

What are your thoughts? Do you feel strong in both the I and E versions of your dominant function?
    Yes, you develop both Ni and Ne at the same time and Fe and Fi, the introverted side grows much faster for you though.

Ni
    Fe
    Ne
    Fi
    Ti
    Te
    Se
    Si

The lower down the list you go, the greater the rift between the stationary functions (foundational four, Ni Fe Ti Se), hence the gap between Fe and Se is greater than the gap between Ni and Fe and thats why the Te follows the Ti and not the Se).
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I would think so, but I'm not sure if I'm good at using Ne. I mean, I know I use it occasionally, I just don't know if I use it well, or often. I'm good at evaluating a situation from different perspectives, which I think is Ni. You are the best judge of how well you use it, though.

That's unusual. I understand the part about Fe and Fi, perhaps even Ne. But I think I'm better with Ti than Te for some reason (although I don't know that I'm good at either, honestly).

I definitely feel like I developed Fe before Ne, sorry. But I do feel like I use Ne sometimes. Although I admit that lately, I feel a bit hollow and superficial when I use Fe in some (but not most) situations, and I never used to feel that way.

But which definitions are you using? Are you going by the "Gifts Differing" descriptions, the cognitiveprocesses.com descriptions, or another set?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I would think so, but I'm not sure if I'm good at using Ne. I mean, I know I use it occasionally, I just don't know if I use it well, or often. I'm good at evaluating a situation from different perspectives, which I think is Ni. You are the best judge of how well you use it, though.

That's unusual. I understand the part about Fe and Fi, perhaps even Ne. But I think I'm better with Ti than Te for some reason (although I don't know that I'm good at either, honestly).

I definitely feel like I developed Fe before Ne, sorry. But I do feel like I use Ne sometimes. Although I admit that lately, I feel a bit hollow and superficial when I use Fe in some (but not most) situations, and I never used to feel that way.

But which definitions are you using? Are you going by the "Gifts Differing" descriptions, the cognitiveprocesses.com descriptions, or another set?
    The Fe is only slightly more salient than the Ne.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    The Fe is only slightly more salient than the Ne.
    In INFJ's in general, in her, in me, or in all three of the former? If you mean myself as well, then do you have any examples of me using Ne in a situation?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

INFJs in general.

The relationship of Fe and Ne for the INFJ is as analogous as Ne and Te for INTP and Ti and Ni for the ENTP.

Ni
    Fe
    Ne

Ti
    Ne
    Te

Ne
    Ti
    Ni

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yes, I see now, BlueWing. But anyway, toonia, did you ever read that idea I came up with in this thread? It reminds me of what we're talking about.

Does it make sense to you?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

where is a resource where you can learn how to figure out the order of the 8 functions based on their four letter type? i don't know hwo to do that.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    where is a resource where you can learn how to figure out the order of the 8 functions based on their four letter type? i don't know hwo to do that.
    Have you seen this site?

MBTI
    INFJ

I mentioned this in another thread, but I tested as having excellant use of Ne & I'm an INFJ. I always attributed it to my studies in college (Physics), but I wonder if there's more to it than that...

For the record, I tested as having excellant use of Ni, Fe, Ti, & Ne (in that order).