• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dominant Functions

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was just wondering, when a person has one function as their dominant, do they tend to develop both the introverted and extroverted versions of it - at least to a noticeable degree?

For example, my dominant function is Ni, but when i read the descriptions of Ne, they fit really well. Almost better than my supposed secondary function Fe. Then for secondary functions both Fe and Fi resonant to some extent. Once i get to the tertiary Ti, then i don't feel as much clarity with its opposite, Te, and then with the last Se, the introverted version is downright alien to me.

Is it possible that whatever function is your strongest has some tendency to develop both intro and extroverted dimensions to it? My emotional development was a little disrupted and now i wonder if i developed Ne instead of the extroverted Fe initially? I don't know if that makes any sense or not. I'm just going on what i know about myself and what i 'think' i know about MBTI so far.

What are your thoughts? Do you feel strong in both the I and E versions of your dominant function?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was just wondering, when a person has one function as their dominant, do they tend to develop both the introverted and extroverted versions of it - at least to a noticeable degree?

For example, my dominant function is Ni, but when i read the descriptions of Ne, they fit really well. Almost better than my supposed secondary function Fe. Then for secondary functions both Fe and Fi resonant to some extent. Once i get to the tertiary Ti, then i don't feel as much clarity with its opposite, Te, and then with the last Se, the introverted version is downright alien to me.

Is it possible that whatever function is your strongest has some tendency to develop both intro and extroverted dimensions to it? My emotional development was a little disrupted and now i wonder if i developed Ne instead of the extroverted Fe initially? I don't know if that makes any sense or not. I'm just going on what i know about myself and what i 'think' i know about MBTI so far.

What are your thoughts? Do you feel strong in both the I and E versions of your dominant function?

Yes, you develop both Ni and Ne at the same time and Fe and Fi, the introverted side grows much faster for you though.

Ni
Fe
Ne
Fi
Ti
Te
Se
Si

The lower down the list you go, the greater the rift between the stationary functions (foundational four, Ni Fe Ti Se), hence the gap between Fe and Se is greater than the gap between Ni and Fe and thats why the Te follows the Ti and not the Se).

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I would think so, but I'm not sure if I'm good at using Ne. I mean, I know I use it occasionally, I just don't know if I use it well, or often. I'm good at evaluating a situation from different perspectives, which I think is Ni. You are the best judge of how well you use it, though.

That's unusual. I understand the part about Fe and Fi, perhaps even Ne. But I think I'm better with Ti than Te for some reason (although I don't know that I'm good at either, honestly).

I definitely feel like I developed Fe before Ne, sorry. But I do feel like I use Ne sometimes. Although I admit that lately, I feel a bit hollow and superficial when I use Fe in some (but not most) situations, and I never used to feel that way.

But which definitions are you using? Are you going by the "Gifts Differing" descriptions, the cognitiveprocesses.com descriptions, or another set?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would think so, but I'm not sure if I'm good at using Ne. I mean, I know I use it occasionally, I just don't know if I use it well, or often. I'm good at evaluating a situation from different perspectives, which I think is Ni. You are the best judge of how well you use it, though.

That's unusual. I understand the part about Fe and Fi, perhaps even Ne. But I think I'm better with Ti than Te for some reason (although I don't know that I'm good at either, honestly).

I definitely feel like I developed Fe before Ne, sorry. But I do feel like I use Ne sometimes. Although I admit that lately, I feel a bit hollow and superficial when I use Fe in some (but not most) situations, and I never used to feel that way.

But which definitions are you using? Are you going by the "Gifts Differing" descriptions, the cognitiveprocesses.com descriptions, or another set?

The Fe is only slightly more salient than the Ne.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The Fe is only slightly more salient than the Ne.

In INFJ's in general, in her, in me, or in all three of the former? If you mean myself as well, then do you have any examples of me using Ne in a situation?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
INFJs in general.

The relationship of Fe and Ne for the INFJ is as analogous as Ne and Te for INTP and Ti and Ni for the ENTP.

Ni
Fe
Ne

Ti
Ne
Te

Ne
Ti
Ni

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, I see now, BlueWing. But anyway, toonia, did you ever read that idea I came up with in this thread? It reminds me of what we're talking about.

Does it make sense to you?

Usehername

On a mission
where is a resource where you can learn how to figure out the order of the 8 functions based on their four letter type? i don't know hwo to do that.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I mentioned this in another thread, but I tested as having excellant use of Ne & I'm an INFJ. I always attributed it to my studies in college (Physics), but I wonder if there's more to it than that...

For the record, I tested as having excellant use of Ni, Fe, Ti, & Ne (in that order).

ygolo

My termites win
where is a resource where you can learn how to figure out the order of the 8 functions based on their four letter type? i don't know hwo to do that.

Linda V. Berens' booklet on the Dynamics of Personality Type assigns the following numbers and roles(+positive/-negative) for the personality types:
  1. +Leading/-Dominating
  2. +Supporting/-Overprotective
  3. +Relief/-Unsettling (opposite of 2nd)
  4. +Aspirational/-Projective (opposite of 1st)
  5. -Opposing/+Backup (opposite orientation of 1st)
  6. -Critical/+Discovery (opposite orientation of 2nd)
  7. -Deceiving/+Comedic(opposite preference of 2nd)
  8. -Devilish/Transformative(opposite preference of 1st)

I am assuming you already know how to get the top two functions (Socionics notwithstanding)

What I mean by opposites: Fe-Ti, Te-Fi, Ne-Si, Se-Ni.
What I mean by opposite orientation: Fe-Fi, Te-Ti, Ne-Ni, Se-Si.
What I mean by opposite preference: Fe-Te, Fi-Ti, Ne-Se, Ni-Si.

The 5th through 8th process are considered shadow processes and make communication difficult.

So for an INTJ, the order of assignment is:
Ni-Te-Fi-Se-Ne-Ti-Fe-Si

On the other hand:

Lenore Thompson (or at least how I read her book) groups the functions into the following 4 categories:

Extroverted Judging: Fe,Te
Introverted Judging: Fi, Ti
Extroverted Perceiving: Ne, Se
Introverted Perceiving: Ni, Si

She says for healthy development, people should stick to their particular structure of Extroverted Judging - Introverted Perceiving or Extroverted Perceiving-Introverted judging (keeping you introvert extrovert preference of coarse).

So for an ISFJ, it is claimed to me healthier to develop either introverted perceiving function and either extroverted judging function than to develop either introverted judging function or either extroverted perceiving function.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The time I took the cognitive processes test my use of Ne was second worst only to Fe...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So my dominant function is Ni, but I relate to Ne as well. It could be interesting for others to compare and contrast both dimensions of their dominant functions as well. :) I will highlight the portions of each that apply to my thinking and then describe how these relate. Here's the link that describes dominant functions outside the context of how they interrelate in a given personality. Cognitive Processes Assessment

Ni said:
Introverted iNtuiting involves synthesizing the seemingly paradoxical or contradictory, which takes understanding to a new level. Using this process, we can have moments when completely new, unimagined realizations come to us. A disengagement from interactions in the room occurs, followed by a sudden Aha! or That is it!The sense of the future and the realizations that come from introverted iNtuiting have a sureness and an imperative quality that seem to demand action and help us stay focused on fulfilling our vision or dream of how things will be in the future. Using this process, we might rely on a focal device or symbolic action to predict, enlighten, or transform. We could find ourselves laying out how the future will unfold based on unseen trends and telling signs. This process can involve working out complex concepts or systems of thinking or conceiving of symbolic or novel ways to understand things that are universal. It can lead to creating transcendent experiences or solutions.

Ne said:
Extraverted iNtuiting involves noticing hidden meanings and interpreting them, often entertaining a wealth of possible interpretations from just one idea or interpreting what someones behavior really means. It also involves seeing things as if, with various possible representations of reality. Using this process, we can juggle many different ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and meanings in our mind at once with the possibility that they are all true. This is like weaving themes and threads together. We do not know the weave until a thought thread appears or is drawn out in the interaction of thoughts, often brought in from other contexts. Thus a strategy or concept often emerges from the here-and-now interactions, not appearing as a whole beforehand. Using this process we can really appreciate brainstorming and trust what emerges, enjoying imaginative play with scenarios and combining possibilities, using a kind of cross-contextual thinking. Extraverted iNtuiting also can involve catalyzing people and extemporaneously shaping situations, spreading an atmosphere of change through emergent leadership.

As is described with Ni, my mind processes information by reconciling paradox. My first step when presented with information is to extract its core qualities and to devise these into the most meaningful, elegant polar opposites i can formulate. Seeing relationships between opposites and reconciling how they are related is the foundation of my thought. Once these continuum are formed, it allows for a sliding scale with which information can be processed in real time. Conclusions are never drawn absolutely, but information is placed along the many continuum as a sliding scale as more facts come in. Ideas are viewed from every possible angle, because the polarities can create various axes of thought into which the details form a multidimensional whole. (Before i get tangled up in my own head here, let me use a metaphor - Ni moment ;) ) You can see a mountain from one view, but any single view of the mountain is a fragment, an incomplete truth. It would take nearly an eternity to have a complete comprehension of every angle and vantage point of the mountain and how it was formed. Looking comprehensively enough, the mountain has no single starting or ending point and so it is by its nature a slice of eternity. Still, the more context is comprehended, the more the given fragment can obtain its meaning.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
As is described with Ni, my mind processes information by reconciling paradox. My first step when presented with information is to extract its core qualities and to devise these into the most meaningful, elegant polar opposites i can formulate. Seeing relationships between opposites and reconciling how they are related is the foundation of my thought. Once these continuum are formed, it allows for a sliding scale with which information can be processed in real time. Conclusions are never drawn absolutely, but information is placed along the many continuum as a sliding scale as more facts come in. Ideas are viewed from every possible angle, because the polarities can create various axes of thought into which the details form a multidimensional whole. (Before i get tangled up in my own head here, let me use a metaphor - Ni moment ;) ) You can see a mountain from one view, but any single view of the mountain is a fragment, an incomplete truth. It would take nearly an eternity to have a complete comprehension of every angle and vantage point of the mountain and how it was formed. Looking comprehensively enough, the mountain has no single starting or ending point and so it is by its nature a slice of eternity. Still, the more context is comprehended, the more the given fragment can obtain its meaning.

This is the first description of Ni I've ever really related to. That's pretty close to how I think when I use it. It's not exactly what the authors of personality books describe, but something like what you just said. Never really knowing about something precisely, always looking for new insight into something, and relying on a given context to derive the meaning of the situation, not simply taking it at face value.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(deleting post as I find it best to just make a new post about it)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
The question the OP poses is also my question. It is hard to tell what psychological function you have as your principal, which one is your auxiliary, tertiary, inferior, but it is not impossible. You have to get yourself familiar with the nature of each functions and try to identify whether any of each of their manifestations in you in every aspects of your life. What we mean and what jung mean with a primary, auxiliary, tertiary, inferior statuses also must be understandably clear before attempting to identify. The primary functions, however, manifest themselves in what you habitually do everyday. The tertiary and inferior should manifest themselves in what do you occasionally do that seemed to be opposing or compensatory to your habit.

Last edited: