• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Happiness and Type

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
You are born to type.
So they say.
Whoever they are.

Happiness is inborn.
Or acquired.
Maybe both.

Or neither. ;)

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
You are born to type.
So they say.
Whoever they are.

Happiness is inborn.
Or acquired.
Maybe both.

Or neither. ;)

Pay attention to Wildcat, everyone.

We are none of us victims.
Of anything but our willingness to accept.

deleted
Pay attention to Wildcat, everyone.

We are none of us victims.
Of anything but our willingness to accept.

You sound extremely "philosopher INTP" :)

You are born to type.
So they say.
Whoever they are.

Happiness is inborn.
Or acquired.
Maybe both.

Or neither. ;)

Here's one for you, wildcat:

Growth itself contains the germ of happiness. ~Pearl Buck

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everyone controls their own happiness to its full extent, despite type.

If someone really wants to be happy, they can be, regardless of what bad things may have happened to them. The problem however is that many people don't want to be happy. They want to be sad. For thousands of reasons.

Quite possible, NT's have the most control over this however.

maliafee

I don't agree that everyone controls their own happiness FULLY. There are people out there who experience much less anxiety and troubles phase them less than other people. It is a fact. So those people have a better chance at being happy. Now, everyone has the opportunity to make themselves happier, that's true...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i was born happy so my mom says...off in my own lil happy place laughing at everything around me..still the same. :)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like I said, we have full control over ouyr happiness. But not everyone embraces that control, instead, most people feel the need to be sad after certain things happen. I've been there too, can totally relate. And there are people that put happiness on a pedestal that is out of their reach.

But I still think we have full control over it, should we wish it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He is very clear that he has no clue whatsoever what causes us to be happy, while at the same time slandering people's tendency to assume things, regarding MBTI type, which he clearly does not support. And thus he vaguely tries to connect happiness and MBTI types to each other in the hopes of breaking our assumption of the latter. Without any concrete arguements or thoughts to go with it, which causes him to remain innocent and excluded.

In other words, a lazy attempt to prove his point.

That's how I read it. :)

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
You are born to type.
So they say.
Whoever they are.

Happiness is inborn.
Or acquired.
Maybe both.

Or neither. ;)

Ask the torturer what will make him happy and he will say a confession from the victim.

Ask the victim and he will say stopping the torture will make him happy.

One wants something the other wants nothing. One thinks he's happy the other really is.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
I believe you can be just as happy as you set your mind to be. (quoting the words of Lincoln). The way you do is the way you live, the most ironical enemy you can have is yourself and only you alone are responsible for it.

To see your "happiness" as tied to something outside of you or the conditions (hereditary aspects, e.g) is basically letting yourself out of responsibility. That way you can always also justify your "unhappiness".

I dislike thinking my peace of mind would be fundamentally linked to anything or anyone in particular. I look for my mind in order to find peace, not necessarily happiness. Contentment. You, by your own perceiving, make your own perceptions. It goes through me first, and I give it a meaning. Just like everyone else does in their own. I just decide to so in a way that could, as a result, bring me the most happiness.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
It can be very, very difficult to stop blaming things (both within and without), once you're in the habit.

That's the biggest source of misery, though. Blame creates a sense of helplessness. If you can minimize it, you're on a good path to self-possession, which in turn leads to happiness.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^ good point. it's relinquishing the control over others actions for me...i think. i've never felt that. i think people have the right to be exactly what they are and it's up to me to accept it and appreciate it or decide i want no part of it and remove myself so...there is no blame just a situation that needs to be changed so you do...and go on with your lil happy self. :)

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, that seems the ideal way of going about things. In the house where I grew up, blame, guilt, and shame were pretty much the same as air and water. As I get older I better understand why that was, and I have somewhat been able to retrain myself. It's a constant work in progress, and do I ever have my down days, particularly in regard to myself, but I guess it does lead to some insight.

LucrativeSid

I think some types may have an advantage over others when it comes to happiness, but I think we are all capable of being happy if we try.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
I think the types most inclined to search for reason may be the most at risk, as there can be a fine line between an explanation and an excuse.

I've read that INTPs and INFJs are the most prone to suicidal ideation. This may result from a certain inevitability and tunnel vision that one develops in the search for truth. X is ultimately true, and I am certain about it; therefore... there is nothing I can do about it. Nothing I can do, nothing I can do. Nothing. Nothing. Brain snaps. Broken record.

Again, though, much of it is training.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
I've gotten better...

Sort of.

(I swear, every Doctor Who serial has a moment as remarkable/bewildering as this.)